Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case Keenum has “a horseshoe right now” but how long will he have starting job?
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
How fair would it be to Bridgewater to ask him to come in after not playing a meaningful football game since Jan 2016 and not screw up the current trajectory? That's a lot of time that he hasn't led a team. And that's a lot of pressure to welcome him back under. If it doesn't work you have a whole locker room full of folks that are going to ask why you went away from a guy that basically saved your season at the QB position. I just don't think we will see Teddy again this year. 
well not as long as Case keeps doing enough to win.  if the trajectory changes I dont think that the team would have any issues with Teddy getting his chance.
Ok but what is the definition of changing the trajectory? Two bad plays? A bad half? A bad game? Two bad games? 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
How fair would it be to Bridgewater to ask him to come in after not playing a meaningful football game since Jan 2016 and not screw up the current trajectory? That's a lot of time that he hasn't led a team. And that's a lot of pressure to welcome him back under. If it doesn't work you have a whole locker room full of folks that are going to ask why you went away from a guy that basically saved your season at the QB position. I just don't think we will see Teddy again this year. 
well not as long as Case keeps doing enough to win.  if the trajectory changes I dont think that the team would have any issues with Teddy getting his chance.
Ok but what is the definition of changing the trajectory? Two bad plays? A bad half? A bad game? Two bad games? 
thats up to Zimmer.  I dont think its something that can be pre determined,  its a gut thing.  if/when Case loses his midas touch it will need to be addressed quick enough to not lose to much ground in the playoff seeding.  1 bad game,  4 bad quarters in 2 consecutive games,  I dont know.  do the wheels fly off or just wobble enough that the cart wont roll?  it really is a question that cant be answered without seeing whats happening.  If Case hadnt come out and played as good as he did early against the Skins and then follow it up with a good performance yesterday... he would likely be under some serious scrutiny right now regardless of the W-L results.

@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
Honestly, the next pick he throws, this board is going to freak the hell out. because heaven forbid a QB ever throw an int. Teddy clearly wouldnt have made that pass. (whatever pass it is)

Quote: @golfervike said:
@greediron said:
What amazes me is the lack of trust people have in the coaches that are paid to do this, have their livelihood depend on it and watch them every day. 

Nothing amazes me about what people will discuss on a football board. That is what we do.  But to think that some man crush would make an NFL coach throw a season down the toilet is rather odd. 

TB seemed to learn from his WTF plays and rarely repeated mistakes.  But Case and his horseshoe seem to thrive on them, so he isn't exactly cutting out the mistakes. 

I hashed it out last week and won't waste more time on it.  I think Case is on an unsustainable path.  Film and defenses and lady luck will all catch up.  That is my opinion and I stand by it.  But I enjoy the ride.

I was waiting for this argument to come out. 

" The coaches have forgotten more than we'll ever know!"
" Zim sees them every day in practice"

OF COURSE the coaches know more than we do, and have their livelihood dependent on this, but does that exclude them from making biased or incorrect decisions? if that was the case nobody would be fired... 
And yes, there are proven cases where a Head Coach has tied his wagon to a QB he loves for whatever reason the reason might be.  and When did you see Teddy learn from his WTF moments, two years ago? in a Preseason game against the Chargers? that's what you're basing this off of?  

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and i am mine, i guess it boils down to people's faith in Teddy, who has always had a divided fan base regarding how good of an NFL qb he is/will be, despite everyone loving him as a person.
So in other words, you have some preset arguments you are looking to use?  Glad we could check that box.

You are amazed that we are debating football on the internet. 

And you keep dropping the line that Zim would sacrifice his job because he loves Teddy.  That is rather an odd take.  The players love playing for Zimmer because he actually cares about them.  So for him to talk about how great a young man that Teddy is doesn't mean he would risk his career for that feeling.

As to Teddy learning from his mistakes, that was a common thread in many of the articles I have read on Teddy over the years, and not just Zimmer. 

And it doesn't boil down to unreasonable faith in Teddy.  It boils down to watching football.  I see Case make plenty of WTF plays, but somehow he usually ends up lucky.  The "horseshoe theory".  Zimmer sees that too.  So obviously our eyes are telling us something that a career coach is seeing as well.   Is it enough to put a leash on Case?  Dunno.  That is why we are debating it. 

@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
Honestly, the next pick he throws, this board is going to freak the hell out. because heaven forbid a QB ever throw an int. Teddy clearly wouldnt have made that pass. (whatever pass it is)
thats hardly a fair statement to make.   if its another stare the guy down and throw it anyway pick,  or chuck it up for grabs when the pressure gets to hot,  yes he will catch some shit,  but any QB should in those situations.  If its a tipped ball or the defender just makes a good play on a well thrown ball.... well thats football.

But he made a couple bad throws....

[Image: c55i131snh1d.jpg]
But, I can make a meme that means nothing...  So I must be right.

Quote: @greediron said:
@golfervike said:
@greediron said:
What amazes me is the lack of trust people have in the coaches that are paid to do this, have their livelihood depend on it and watch them every day. 

Nothing amazes me about what people will discuss on a football board. That is what we do.  But to think that some man crush would make an NFL coach throw a season down the toilet is rather odd. 

TB seemed to learn from his WTF plays and rarely repeated mistakes.  But Case and his horseshoe seem to thrive on them, so he isn't exactly cutting out the mistakes. 

I hashed it out last week and won't waste more time on it.  I think Case is on an unsustainable path.  Film and defenses and lady luck will all catch up.  That is my opinion and I stand by it.  But I enjoy the ride.

I was waiting for this argument to come out. 

" The coaches have forgotten more than we'll ever know!"
" Zim sees them every day in practice"

OF COURSE the coaches know more than we do, and have their livelihood dependent on this, but does that exclude them from making biased or incorrect decisions? if that was the case nobody would be fired... 
And yes, there are proven cases where a Head Coach has tied his wagon to a QB he loves for whatever reason the reason might be.  and When did you see Teddy learn from his WTF moments, two years ago? in a Preseason game against the Chargers? that's what you're basing this off of?  

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and i am mine, i guess it boils down to people's faith in Teddy, who has always had a divided fan base regarding how good of an NFL qb he is/will be, despite everyone loving him as a person.
So in other words, you have some preset arguments you are looking to use?  Glad we could check that box.

You are amazed that we are debating football on the internet. 

And you keep dropping the line that Zim would sacrifice his job because he loves Teddy.  That is rather an odd take.  The players love playing for Zimmer because he actually cares about them.  So for him to talk about how great a young man that Teddy is doesn't mean he would risk his career for that feeling.

As to Teddy learning from his mistakes, that was a common thread in many of the articles I have read on Teddy over the years, and not just Zimmer. 

And it doesn't boil down to unreasonable faith in Teddy.  It boils down to watching football.  I see Case make plenty of WTF plays, but somehow he usually ends up lucky.  The "horseshoe theory".  Zimmer sees that too.  So obviously our eyes are telling us something that a career coach is seeing as well.   Is it enough to put a leash on Case?  Dunno.  That is why we are debating it. 
Yes i am amazed we're debating benching him. many others are too. 

whatever dude, we're just going round in circles, you 100% ignore the fact that Teddy has just as many WTF moments, and yes. i'm amazed we're debating this, but go find someone else to argue with, because you're just saying the same thing over and over. 

and re-read what i said, i never said he'd sacrifice his job for teddy. I said he loves Teddy, and that can make you biased in your opinion, and he loves a check down safer QB. that's his choice as HC, i just happen to disagree with it. and that's ok too. 

No i had no preset arguments, but if you disagree with someone here, and the coach agrees with the person you're arguing, it's common for them to say, COACH KNOWS best.

we're not going to change each others mind. and that's ok. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@golfervike said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
thats hardly a fair statement to make.   if its another stare the guy down and throw it anyway pick,  or chuck it up for grabs when the pressure gets to hot,  yes he will catch some shit,  but any QB should in those situations.  If its a tipped ball or the defender just makes a good play on a well thrown ball.... well thats football.
Like when Teddy held on to the ball for 8 years against the Cardinals and cost us the game? i understand that's cherry picking. but i was not calling for Teddy to be benched after that game, and we shouldnt call for Case to be benched if he has one poor game.

@JimmyinSD said:
@golfervike said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
Like when Teddy held on to the ball for 8 years against the Cardinals and cost us the game? i understand that's cherry picking. but i was not calling for Teddy to be benched after that game, and we shouldnt call for Case to be benched if he has one poor game.
again,  cant really pre-decide what it will take can we?  it really has to be an in the moment type of decision IMO based on what else was happening at the time.  I am not really remembering the play you are talking about,  is that the one the Kalil completely was made to look the fool by freeny?  if thats the play I think the blame is a bit arguable.

@silverjoel said:
@Mike Olson said:
How fair would it be to Bridgewater to ask him to come in after not playing a meaningful football game since Jan 2016 and not screw up the current trajectory? That's a lot of time that he hasn't led a team. And that's a lot of pressure to welcome him back under. If it doesn't work you have a whole locker room full of folks that are going to ask why you went away from a guy that basicallysaved your season at the QB position. I just don't think we will see Teddy again this year. 
Bridgewater is a NFL QB, if he can't hack it, so be it and go back to Keenum.  Again, if Zimmer feels Bridgewater is the best option, he should go with him.  Play the best talent.  To paraphrase Zimmer, good enough is the enemy of great.

Isn't a little insulting to the rest of the team to say that Keenum saved the season?  I would guess the defense feels like they're a part of the success of the team.
Maybe you should read my post a little closer...
I read it.  Not really sure what that means.  Has Hill saved the season at RT?  Harris at S?  Backups are suppose to come in and play well, otherwise they shouldn't be the backup.