Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Coronavirus
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Parents sending COVID-19 infected kids to school, Wisconsin officials warn"The biggest challenge for us that we're experiencing right now is people are just being dishonest," health official says.
By Tim Elfrink Washington PostSeptember 24, 2020 — 3:45pm

As authorities in suburban Milwaukee gamed out the complex preparations to allow children back into classrooms amid the coronavirus pandemic, they didn’t plan for one scenario: Parents deliberately sending infected kids to school.

Yet that’s exactly what’s happened multiple times in Washington and Ozaukee counties, health officials said this week.
“Something that happened and continued to happen … which I never in my wildest dreams imagined it would happen, is people sent their known positive kids to school,” Washington Ozaukee Public Health Department Officer Kirsten Johnson told WISN.
As health officials investigate cases in more than two dozens schools in the counties, some are demanding harsh repercussions for any parent caught sending a child to class after they test positive.
“When you have parents lying to contact tracers, refusing to get kids tested, that’s just beyond the pale,” said Washington County Board member Don Kriefall, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported. “That becomes very problematic for the health department to manage this whole situation. The hammer may have to be dropped.”
Wisconsin, which has recorded more than 1,200 COVID-19 deaths, isn’t the only place struggling to cope with parents who purposely evade the safety systems set up to prevent school outbreaks of a virus that has now killed at least 201,000 Americans.
In Massachusetts last week, a student attended the first day of high school despite a positive test, sending dozens of classmates into quarantine. A similar situation in Oklahoma forced 17 students into quarantine.
In Washington and Ozaukee counties, which sit just north of Milwaukee, a patchwork of school districts have adopted a range of back-to-school plans, but many have offered students the option of going to school in-person five days a week.
Health officials already know of at least three cases where students have tested positive and showed up to class anyway, Johnson told the Journal Sentinel. One COVID-positive student felt so sick after coming to school that they went to the school nurse.
In several other cases, Johnson said, parents have lied to contract tracers about test results and about whom their child had contact with. Other parents have also refused to test children, even when they are obviously ill.
“The biggest challenge for us that we’re experiencing right now is people are just being dishonest,” Johnson told the Journal Sentinel. “They don’t want their children to be quarantined from school. They don’t want to have to miss work. In doing that, they’re jeopardizing the ability to have school in person and other people’s health.”
Health officials are now urging schools in Washington and Ozaukee counties to use attendance software to keep track of students who test positive for the virus, and to ensure they don’t show up for class when they’re supposed to be at home in quarantine.
The counties also plans to hire more contract tracers and will consider ordering schools to close if cases rise. As of Tuesday, the two counties were investigating cases at 25 different schools.
While early evidence suggests that schools have not become hot spots for coronavirus transmission so far, health officials said they will have no choice to but to take drastic action if sick kids keep coming to school.
“We’re not going to be able to keep our schools open,” Kriefall told WISN. “It’s going to, I mean, just a few parents that are irresponsible are going to affect the entire school district.”
I'll say it again...and again: WTF is wrong with people????

Belligerent, desperate, stoopid or all 3...

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
200,000 dead and counting.

It did not have to be this way.
Random question, is this a Peak Prosperity.com reference by chance?

Quote: @Mattyman said:
@Vikergirl said:
200,000 dead and counting.

It did not have to be this way.
Random question, is this a Peak Prosperity reference by chance?
What? No it's a statement on the situation. The number of people that died didn't have to be this high and yet here we are.

Gasp! Parent's lying for their babies! Shocking! *eye roll*

My wife and I have seen it all during this pandemic with friends of ours with school/college aged kids: strict on COVID except if their kids get it, then not so much. Hypocrisy with seeing their family members/gatherings, hypocrisy about masks if it doesn't suit them or their family, etc. I have no idea what the hell the deal is with parents today with kids under 19 but they will not tell their kids no or discipline them. We know some that just put their kids in college and others that are younger and its really been eye opening. You think you know people and then this happens and you see how careless and enabling they are when it comes to things they want. They talk out of both sides of their mouths. I know why this pandemic will never be over until a vaccine comes, I see it and hear it every day. Gutless parents with high school and college aged kids that do anything they want in large groups. 

Participate if you're a parent:

How many of you (us) have sent their toddlers/kids to school or day-care when they had a low-grade fever that went away with some tylenol? Or that little sore throat ? Or ear ache? 

Just about everyone? 

But Covid-19? Exposing teachers? Admin? The Janitor? Sending asymptomatic kids home to lord knows who's waiting and living there?

Nah, this is different.

This is what happens when you expect/hope for common sense from the common people. A few knuckleheads will F uck it up big time. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
This is what happens when you expect/hope for common sense from the common people. A few knuckleheads will F uck it up big time. 
PF, its more than a few. Let me give you one example:

A friend's daughter just started at the University of Colorado....really had no business going anywhere away from home as her parents have spoiled her HORRIBLY and she can barely tie her own shoes (she's 19). She texts and Facetimes her Mom at least 10 times a day WHEN SHE LIVED AT HOME.....but that's another story. She's an entitled little bitch (sorry, but she is....I hate to say it but its true). So long story short, she got COVID. Boulder county in Colorado has had a dramatic spike in cases the last 2 weeks and the University is the culprit. She's crying, telling her Mom she wants to come home. Her roommate also has it. Her roommate after 2 days GOT ON AN AIRPLANE and came home....with COVID. Then this girl did the same after another day. The parents didn't make either of them stay for the 14 days. Wanted their babies home to take care of them. Another friend has 2 nieces and a nephew (ages 26, 28 and 30) that live in Chicago and St.Louis....all 3 got COVID. Why? Went to a 40 person birthday party.  

This shit is happening all over the country. Now schools and colleges are open and the cases are spiking. 

Oh, I know its more than a few...When you rely on the population to make decisions for themselves, based on common sense? I have ZERO faith. 

There's a fantastic article in the local STRIB on what team red would have done in response to COVID in MN vs what team Blue Governor Waltz has done. Here's just a snippet talking about the issue of crowd size policy:
  • Team Red GAZELKA: There would be no limits on how many people can gather for indoor or outdoor events, such as concerts, weddings or funerals. Groups of people hosting events should make their own decisions about safety protocols, but Republicans would urge people to follow CDC guidelines on social distancing and masks.
  • Governor WALZ: There are social gathering limits of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors for events at private homes. There can be no public gatherings of more than 250 people. Event venues must operate with indoor and outdoor capacity limits of 25%, up to 250 people, and need to maintain social distancing. Such venues need COVID-19 preparedness plans.
I never imagined the differences in Pandemic policy would break along political lines. But I guess I shouldn't be given how each party sees the role of government, beliefs in science etc.

Positive COVID-19 cases are up in 23 states right now. Most of it traces to colleges and schools re-opening. 

I don't know if as a society we had much choice? I'd have to ponder that more.

I dont meant to be flippant about it either. There are people dying from this s hit and 200k are gone already. Thats just a bit more than the avg influenza kill rate of 39k-60k. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
PF, its more than a few. Let me give you one example:

A friend's daughter just started at the University of Colorado....really had no business going anywhere away from home as her parents have spoiled her HORRIBLY and she can barely tie her own shoes (she's 19). She texts and Facetimes her Mom at least 10 times a day WHEN SHE LIVED AT HOME.....but that's another story. She's an entitled little bitch (sorry, but she is....I hate to say it but its true). So long story short, she got COVID. Boulder county in Colorado has had a dramatic spike in cases the last 2 weeks and the University is the culprit. She's crying, telling her Mom she wants to come home. Her roommate also has it. Her roommate after 2 days GOT ON AN AIRPLANE and came home....with COVID. Then this girl did the same after another day. The parents didn't make either of them stay for the 14 days. Wanted their babies home to take care of them. Another friend has 2 nieces and a nephew (ages 26, 28 and 30) that live in Chicago and St.Louis....all 3 got COVID. Why? Went to a 40 person birthday party.  

This shit is happening all over the country. Now schools and colleges are open and the cases are spiking. 
Here's another example: