Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone else got a gut feeling the Vikings QB is going to be Teddy?
I don't see a clear cut favorite for the reason that none of them are complete QBs.

In my opinion a complete QB knows when to throw it out there and let his star WR(s) make plays but is also game smart enough to know when to take the checkdown on 1st and 2nd down for the free 3 yards.

Someone who knows exactly where he is on the field and will throw it away instead of taking the sack that knocks the team out of Field Goal range.

Case won't take the checkdown. He's all.about buying time in the pocket and throwing contested passes. He also takes dumb sacks. 

Sam has the opposite problem. Outside of the Saints game his propensity has been to go to the checkdown too quickly. He can't buy that extra half second to allow his star WRs to uncover and mostly seems unwilling to make the contested throw. Gets a thumbs up for not taking dumb sacks.

Teddy leaned more towards Sam in his hesitancy to make the contested throw. I do give him credit for showing very good situational awareness, though.

So not you have to project. IF all three are healthy who projects the best? Can Case can be coached to.play smarter at age 30? Can Sam be coached to play more aggressively at age 30?

That's Teddy's main advantage, IMO. He's still young enough and moldable enough to learn to be more aggressive.

But that's exactly why I wanted Smith and want Cousins. First is the IF Factor. IF Teddy is healthy.  Second is the fact that you're projecting with him. He's not proven. 

This is a Super Bowl contending Roster. Look around the rest of the League and show me a better one from Top to Bottom.

I don't want to entrust that to IFs and Projections.  And no, I'm not making a projection with Cousins. He threw for 4,000 yards with garbage at WR, a worse O-Line and no running game.

The talk of his salary costing the team a longer window because they won't be able to sign all their young talent makes me laugh.

The Kansas City Royals won the World Series for the first time in like 30 years. They'll be rebuilding for at least the next 5 years. Do you think any of my neighbors here care? 

Nope. Our team won it all. That's all that matters. Roll with projections at QB but a longer window to potentially win it all or get the ring and live with having to replace some good young talent. I know which option I'd take.

Teddy had 44 rushing attempts his last year playing... and his mobility was a plus and many “wanted” him to stay in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield instead of taking off.

Sam Bradford had 20 rushing attempts.

Case had 40 rushing attempts.  

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Why does Teddy’s Bengals performance get a pass?   

Did he look comfortable?  Did it look like he had improved?  Did he look like a starter?

For me the answer is no for all those questions.  Teddy was handed the keys to this team due to the lack of QB talent at the time... Today the Vikings have QB talent, one traded for and one emerged to play his best ball yet.  Nobody can say that they knew Case would preform the way he did... well maybe his mom... but I digress.  IF Teddy could be “the guy”, that would be the best thing for this org.  BUT....  

Will Teddy still trust his legs when a play breaks down?  Did he lose a step due to the injury?  Was the injury genetics?  Can Teddy come back mentally from such an injury?  Having your leg fall off while doing “normal” walk thru type things.. cannot be a comfort when you are going to have 300+ lb people trying to take you down.

Sam could have the same questions, except his game was never a “running/scramble” QB.  His game was arm and accuracy.  

Case just put up his best season.  He loves it here... might play into taking less money, doubt it, but it might.  BUT... how much of his success was OC related.  Will a new OC mean a less successful Case?  

Rick gets A TON of credit on this site, for a GM who hasn’t got the QB position right yet.... this will be the decision that either erases all those struggling years or adds to them.

I’m not getting any younger....  I hope he gets it right.       
because it was to small a sample size to really know what we were looking at.   

Teddy had 44 rushing attempts his last year playing... and his mobility was a plus and many “wanted” him to stay in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield instead of taking off.

Teddys line sucked,  Sams was the same/worse,  Case had 40 attempts with a much improved OL,  i dont think any of these really will paint a good or bad picture because it all could be argued one way or the other.

by the way,  the pocket that some wanted Teddy to stay in was so inconsistent that it would have been retarded to try and guess which down the the OL was actually going to block and and to try and hold the ball longer or hang out in the danger zone.  again,  we really need to throw away much of 15 and 16 in terms of QB play simply because the offense and supporting cast were so poor.

we really cant compare Teddy to Sam to Case just because the variable were so far apart.

Quote:The Kansas City Royals won the World Series for the first time in like 30 years. They'll be rebuilding for at least the next 5 years. Do you think any of my neighbors here care?
Yeah, I'm not like that. I'm not a "1 before I die" type. I'll admit I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I'd rather be a legit Super Bowl contender for 5 straight years than to win it once and suck for five. Just me. 

Only about 30 more days of this QB discussion.  Smile Smile

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bezerker88 said:

Teddys line sucked,  Sams was the same/worse,  Case had 40 attempts with a much improved OL,  i dont think any of these really will paint a good or bad picture because it all could be argued one way or the other.

by the way,  the pocket that some wanted Teddy to stay in was so inconsistent that it would have been retarded to try and guess which down the the OL was actually going to block and and to try and hold the ball longer or hang out in the danger zone.  again,  we really need to throw away much of 15 and 16 in terms of QB play simply because the offense and supporting cast were so poor.

we really cant compare Teddy to Sam to Case just because the variable were so far apart.
So.... doesn’t that put more importance on the Bengal performance then?  Same line.  Same OC.  Same stadium.  Same opponent.  Is it because he sucked so it doesn’t count?  

Face it... if he came in and “played lights out” during mop up duty.. it would be used to make his case.   

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
It'll probably be a bit different for everyone. But the tape doesn't lie and they'll look over it carefully. I am interested in their takeaways to be honest. Case did a really nice job at times but also had these weird instances of inconsistency. You need to figure out what sparked that and how he got back on track.

Stats never tell the full story but you also need to figure out the gap in Keenum's performances when leading and trailing in games. The splits are: 

When leading - 70% comp / 1,907 yd / 13 TD / 5 INT / YA 7.7
When trailing - 63% comp / 2,229 yd / 11 TD / 5 INT / YA 6.9

Most quarterbacks don't have better stats when they're trailing since defenses can pin their ears back and get after the QB. But the drop in completion percentage is whats worrisome. That 63% is also oddly similar to his career completion % a smidgen over 60%. Gut feeling is that somewhat proves the team was carrying Case more than Case was carrying the team. 

Therein lies the questions with the QBs.  Who do you feel gives us the best chance of winning. 

Teddy:
-Pros: Good upside, smart, can read defenses, move safeties and most of all is a winning QB.  He seems to thrive under pressure.  Keeps eyes downfield while moving. 
-Cons:  Will he be on the same trajectory after the major injury?  Will he improve on his deep throws?

Case:
-Pros:  thrived in Shurmurs offense with the weapons we had.  Big balls.  Moxie, willing to make plays and take chances.  Makes plays out of the pocket.
-cons:  willing to take chances when he shouldn't and can make stupid throws.  Weak arm, not accurate.  May cost way too much.

Sam:
-Pros: Elite arm.  Best talent of all three.  Can make all the throws and with pinpoint accuracy.  #1 draft pick for a reason.
-Cons: major health risk.  also, can he win when needed?  Not willing to take chances?  Hard to judge based on 1 year in a new offense, but doesn't seem to have what Teddy does, the GUMP.  Also very immobile which compounds the health issue.

So take your pick.  All three have risk and reward.  IMO Case is the least likely based on him likely already hitting his ceiling and likely high salary.  Bradford could be a good bridge to Sloter in 2-3 years.  Teddy is the most likely cuz he was drafted to be the guy and has shown that he was ready to take over that role.  All have risk, but Teddy has the most long term reward IMO.

Quote: @Ilovebigtd's said:
@Bezerker88 said:

Did he look comfortable?  Did it look like he had improved?  Did he look like a starter?

For me the answer is no for all those questions.  Teddy was handed the keys to this team due to the lack of QB talent at the time... Today the Vikings have QB talent, one traded for and one emerged to play his best ball yet.  Nobody can say that they knew Case would preform the way he did... well maybe his mom... but I digress.  IF Teddy could be “the guy”, that would be the best thing for this org.  BUT....  

Will Teddy still trust his legs when a play breaks down?  Did he lose a step due to the injury?  Was the injury genetics?  Can Teddy come back mentally from such an injury?  Having your leg fall off while doing “normal” walk thru type things.. cannot be a comfort when you are going to have 300+ lb people trying to take you down.

Sam could have the same questions, except his game was never a “running/scramble” QB.  His game was arm and accuracy.  

Case just put up his best season.  He loves it here... might play into taking less money, doubt it, but it might.  BUT... how much of his success was OC related.  Will a new OC mean a less successful Case?  

Rick gets A TON of credit on this site, for a GM who hasn’t got the QB position right yet.... this will be the decision that either erases all those struggling years or adds to them.

bro he was in for TWO PLAYS
Whose fault was that?    ... and actually it was 6 live plays and some kneel downs.  

@Ilovebigtd's said:
@Bezerker88 said:

bro he was in for TWO PLAYS
Whose fault was that?  
The second drive, it was Floyd dropping an easy first down? 

And the fact that we were leading and in the 5 minute offense.