Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Doogie: Contract extension coming for O'Connell
(Yesterday, 11:56 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: While I agree that he's earned the right to be on the short list of good ones, I think he really doesn't have a ton of motivation to push for a contract extension right now.
If he were to sign one now, for instance, and the Vikings go deep into the playoffs this year, he effectively could be leaving money on the table.
He's under contract through the end of NEXT season.  I see no rush in extending him just yet, for either side.  One more season (this one) and then the true measure of his value would be a little more accurate.

Now I am not saying he doesn't have "short list" value (he does), I'm saying that the number could move up if his third season exceeded expectations.
Remember, there were almost no expectations for this season.

My prediction...while Doogie might be right and an extension might be in the works, I don't see any need for either side to push right now.
I don't believe its a matter of "IF".  I believe its a matter of "WHAT" (the value of the extension).

I don't disagree with you Tom.  That's why I think this may actually be more related to Flores.  If you pay him head coach type money ($6M), that would probably lock him in going forward.  There's a lot to be said for leaving some of those headaches for KOC.  You can't really give him that kind of bump if KOC is making the same though.  So...renegotiate KOC and than go pay Flores.

That would also explain extending KOC now and Kwesi potentially later.  Up until now, there contracts and success are tied together.  Btw..I'm ok not moving quickly on Kwesi's contract.  I think the jury is still out with him.  That first draft was horrid.

(Yesterday, 12:26 PM)badgervike Wrote: I don't disagree with you Tom.  That's why I think this may actually be more related to Flores.  If you pay him head coach type money ($6M), that would probably lock him in going forward.  There's a lot to be said for leaving some of those headaches for KOC.  You can't really give him that kind of bump if KOC is making the same though.  So...renegotiate KOC and than go pay Flores.

That would also explain extending KOC now and Kwesi potentially later.  Up until now, there contracts and success are tied together.  Btw..I'm ok not moving quickly on Kwesi's contract.  I think the jury is still out with him.  That first draft was horrid.

I like the way you're thinking here, but I'm not sure there is any way that if someone really is inclined to hire Flores as at head coach that we're going to stop them either from a prestige or monetary standpoint.  I do believe we can make Flores quite happy with a good faith effort and that may stop some of the flirtation and/or a move to another team.   Flores is special, and I think he'd be an awesome head coach for someone next year.  I have to believe the Miami experience taught him a thing or two that has burned home and taken off some of the rough edges.

(Yesterday, 01:49 PM)Waterboy Wrote: I like the way you're thinking here, but I'm not sure there is any way that if someone really is inclined to hire Flores as at head coach that we're going to stop them either from a prestige or monetary standpoint.  I do believe we can make Flores quite happy with a good faith effort and that may stop some of the flirtation and/or a move to another team.   Flores is special, and I think he'd be an awesome head coach for someone next year.  I have to believe the Miami experience taught him a thing or two that has burned home and taken off some of the rough edges.

Flores, by all accounts, is a great football mind but he lacks the motivational, interpersonal skills of a KOC.   Like Zim (in his early days with the Vikings), players like playing with him because he's successful which makes them successful. He always comes across a little awkward at this press conferences.  I think he'll get interviews but with the lawsuit and surrounding issues combined with the Tua revelations, he'll at least give potential suitors some concerns.  I don't pretend to understand what motivates Flores these days.  If the money is right and the opportunity is right...he may be happy doing what he's doing.  Lots of coordinators have chosen to stay coordinators and not take interviews.  He's got the chip off his shoulder having been a HC so maybe that's enough.  Hope so...at least until he fails to be able to keep up with the ever changing offenses...and/or gets even more crotchety like Zim.

(Yesterday, 11:56 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: While I agree that he's earned the right to be on the short list of good ones, I think he really doesn't have a ton of motivation to push for a contract extension right now.
If he were to sign one now, for instance, and the Vikings go deep into the playoffs this year, he effectively could be leaving money on the table.
He's under contract through the end of NEXT season. I see no rush in extending him just yet, for either side. One more season (this one) and then the true measure of his value would be a little more accurate.

Now I am not saying he doesn't have "short list" value (he does), I'm saying that the number could move up if his third season exceeded expectations.
Remember, there were almost no expectations for this season.

My prediction...while Doogie might be right and an extension might be in the works, I don't see any need for either side to push right now.
I don't believe its a matter of "IF". I believe its a matter of "WHAT" (the value of the extension).

I agree that I would wait until this offseason, although if they are successful this year, whats to prevent KOC from slow playing the next deal at that point, betting on himself, and waiting to hear what others would pay for his services? It seems a bit early, maybe try and get to mid season and see how things stand, but coaches arent like players, they have a much much longer shelf life and if they have confidence in their skills they can afford to play the long game to get to where they want to be.

(Yesterday, 02:16 PM)badgervike Wrote: Flores, by all accounts, is a great football mind but he lacks the motivational, interpersonal skills of a KOC.   Like Zim (in his early days with the Vikings), players like playing with him because he's successful which makes them successful. He always comes across a little awkward at this press conferences.  I think he'll get interviews but with the lawsuit and surrounding issues combined with the Tua revelations, he'll at least give potential suitors some concerns.  I don't pretend to understand what motivates Flores these days.  If the money is right and the opportunity is right...he may be happy doing what he's doing.  Lots of coordinators have chosen to stay coordinators and not take interviews.  He's got the chip off his shoulder having been a HC so maybe that's enough.  Hope so...at least until he fails to be able to keep up with the ever changing offenses...and/or gets even more crotchety like Zim.

I'm thinking Flores isn't so old that he can't change his style.  I could be wrong.  He'll never be KOC, but he can be a much better version of Brian Flores 1.0 at Miami.   That being said, you make a lot of salient points.