Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...Aaron jones
(06-21-2024, 09:10 AM)JR44 Wrote: I am hoping Jones provides great leadership and a significant spark in energy, however I expect Chandler to early in the season become the primary RB who leads the team in rushing.  I think the 3rd RB could play a pivotal role, will be interesting if McBride picks it up or Akers comes back, but the guy I would not sleep on is Gaskin who I think can be a solid contributor.

I'm unsure that RB3 is currently on the roster. Just as we claimed Gaskin at the cut down last year, we could very well do the same this year.

(06-21-2024, 11:06 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: I'm unsure that RB3 is currently on the roster. Just as we claimed Gaskin at the cut down last year, we could very well do the same this year.

Very possible. But I think it's interesting the Vikings not only didn't draft a running back, they didn't sign any FA or UDFA running backs either. To me that suggests they like Gaskin and McBride more than we think.

(06-22-2024, 10:50 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Very possible. But I think it's interesting the Vikings not only didn't draft a running back, they didn't sign any FA or UDFA running backs either. To me that suggests they like Gaskin and McBride more than we think.

They had limited draft picks & prioritized other positions. Gaskin was inactive all 17 games last season. McBride spent the entire season on the the PS. Akers is coming off his second achilles tear. It shouldn't be difficult to find an upgrade on cut down day
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knucklehead's post:

(06-22-2024, 12:40 PM)Knucklehead Wrote: They had limited draft picks & prioritized other positions. Gaskin was inactive all 17 games last season. McBride spent the entire season on the the PS. Akers is coming off his second achilles tear. It shouldn't be difficult to find an upgrade on cut down day

Right and they may do that. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Backs are a dime a dozen these days. But I think if, for example, they thought McBride was terrible and a blown pick in the '23 draft, they would've at least signed a couple UDFAs to compete with him. Akers isn't currently on the roster. I think he's done. But Gaskin and McBride could factor in.

I read that his contract was written to be easily extended if the team desires, further incentive to have a strong performance this season! I’m excited to see him play… Smile

(06-22-2024, 10:50 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Very possible. But I think it's interesting the Vikings not only didn't draft a running back, they didn't sign any FA or UDFA running backs either. To me that suggests they like Gaskin and McBride more than we think.

We also have Kene in the RB room...

(06-27-2024, 08:39 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: We also have Kene in the RB room...

Always forget about him. I sort of think of Kene as the Percy Harvin or Cordarrelle Patterson of the running back room. He'll probably never be a factor in the backfield, but he can be effective on special teams or in special packages. The new kickoff rules should help him stay on the roster.

(06-28-2024, 09:27 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Always forget about him. I sort of think of Kene as the Percy Harvin or Cordarrelle Patterson of the running back room. He'll probably never be a factor in the backfield, but he can be effective on special teams or in special packages. The new kickoff rules should help him stay on the roster.

Speaking of the new kickoff rule, does anyone else think that they've reduced the chances of a collision to the point  that you could use WRs rather than RBs as your kickoff returners? If so, think about what that would mean for roster construction. Powell & Sherfield would see their value increase. Even the PS & recent UDFA WRs, if they returned punts in college, would see their value increase. Whereas, Kene would would see his value decrease.

(06-28-2024, 11:20 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: Speaking of the new kickoff rule, does anyone else think that they've reduced the chances of a collision to the point  that you could use WRs rather than RBs as your kickoff returners? If so, think about what that would mean for roster construction. Powell & Sherfield would see their value increase. Even the PS & recent UDFA WRs, if they returned punts in college, would see their value increase. Whereas, Kene would would see his value decrease.

professional athletes take only seconds to reach top speed, I think the gap between the coverage teams and the ball carrier is great enough that we will still see some pretty significant collisions, I dont think its really about position, as much as its going to be about body type in terms of how well they can stand up to a pounding.