Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...Aaron jones
The consensus seems to be a fair amount of excitement about the one year rental.  A few points:

Aaron Jones was in the same draft class as Dalvin Cook who has faded into obscurity since he left the Vikings.  He's currently a FA looking for a team.  Jones is actually older than Dalvin.  What's different that we're predicting a great season for one while simultaneously watching the demise of the other?

Vikings rushed for 91.4 ypg last year behind effectively the same line.  Mattison was the leading rusher averaging 43.8 yards per game.  Is the line really that much improved?

Just like last year, defenses are going to make us prove we have a running attack that can take over a game.  Otherwise, they're just going to play the pass.

I understand that Darnold and McCarthy are much more mobile than Cousins which will help redirect the rush to potentially open holes for Jones but otherwise, just curious why the difference in Jones / Cook and 2023 vs 2024 rushing?

Well, Jones and Cook are both 29 years old, only months separate them. Derrick Henry is 30 years old and big things are still expected. Raheem Mostert is 32 years old and had a nice year for the Dolphins. You can't just compare Cook and Jones and say don't expect anything from Aaron. Mattison had/has zero explosion. Its why he was available in round 3 and an obvious mistake by Minnesota to make him the man. Jones will be sharing carries with Chandler, so he'll be fresher. The offense definitely needs a stronger run game.

But I think its definitely fair to question how he'll perform. He is an older RB and had a major injury. I think he's going to catch some footballs which will help the offense. I'm on record saying he's got 1 good year left in the tank, not a great year.

I wouldn’t bet money on our running game being much better unless the QBs suck so bad that KOC is forced to use the run. Mostly I think KOC is a passing game guy and hasn’t given the same attention to the ground game, either in terms of play design, attention to detail during practice, or commitment during the game. Like last year, we brought in the best blocking TE in the game and still chose not to run the ball.

That said, I don’t think you can strongly predict the exact season a RB loses his burst. I think you just know that you shouldn’t be extending them to longer deals as they approach that 30 year mark and take it more year to year.

I think the difference is how they looked last year. For whatever reason, Dalvin's legs just left him and Aaron Jones legs didn't. In fact, he seemed to get stronger as the season wore on. If he can continue that we'll be in good shape.

I'm a little cautious too though and I'm glad we signed him for only one year. He's at the age where the wall can sneak up at any time. It wouldn't surprise me too much of Chandler takes over as lead back later in the year.

Aaron Jones will likely miss a few games with injuries (it's the nature of the position), but he's still an explosive playmaker. He had five straight 100 yard rushing games to end the season and was a big reason the Packers made the playoffs and took down Dallas.

He's a better fit for KOCs offense with his elite receiving ability than Dalvin was. We have Chandler to help carry the rushing load and I'd expect Jones to get peppered with targets early in the season until Hock is back on the field. He's going to be a legit playmaker, just gotta keep him healthy.
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

Dalvin was cooked (pun intended) a few years ago.  Jones was still productive last year.  Hopefully he's got another year of the same left in him.  In any case he's an upgrade over Matteson who couldn't hit a hole if his life depended on it.

The real question is will KOC actually call more runs versus just talking about calling them, then staying totally pass-happy even as he was rolling Mullens and Dobbs and Hall out there, none of whom have a chance in hell of carrying a team with their arm.

By my eye test, Jones runs angrier than Dalvin, can be more dominant at the line, and brings a bruiser mentality to our backfield which I like; it's good for the offense to hit the defense hard, to make them wince at the thought of the next impact.

Sometimes, you want a Moe Williams or a Leroy Hoard that'll stick a shoulder pad right into a defender's face to get that extra yard. Jones certainly has done that to us in the past, it'll be fun watching him to that to others...especially cheesy types in green jerseys....
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!

If he stays healthy, he should help...

LaFleur used him well last year in the back 1/2 of the season run GB went on and @ Dallas post-season.

I dont expect a repeat of that here though - mainly because I dont believe KOC cant stick to the run in such a disciplined fashion.

I am hoping Jones provides great leadership and a significant spark in energy, however I expect Chandler to early in the season become the primary RB who leads the team in rushing. I think the 3rd RB could play a pivotal role, will be interesting if McBride picks it up or Akers comes back, but the guy I would not sleep on is Gaskin who I think can be a solid contributor.

Jones is one of the best backs in the league against light boxes. With our pass happy attack that should play out to our advantage. He sure played well against the Purple, If I recall…  Cool Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kentis's post: