Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 NFL Schedule
As a season tix holder, I am not happy to see a Jets home game in London.

I was looking forward to that one here.

(05-15-2024, 12:07 AM)RS_Express Wrote: Who knows? Back in 2002 Rush on their Vapor Trails tour booked 3 shows in Brazil for the first time. They got the 3 biggest crowds of their career up to that point.  Wouldn't surprise me at all for Eagles/Packers to end up with a packed stadium of 70,000+.

I agree the plane flights won't be fun for the teams involved (Go Eagles!  Tongue ) but one thing for sure: a Brazilian crowd is never boring  Big Grin

Yep. South American crowds are insane. I've never been there, but I've seen several concerts recorded there and they make American and European crowds look like they're sleeping.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(05-01-2024, 09:02 AM)FLVike Wrote: Well, since we're talking schedule, my guess is we play either the Falcons or Jets in London.

Can I get a little love for this guess 15 days ago?
[-] The following 1 user Likes FLVike's post:

(05-14-2024, 09:46 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Betting Vikings open at home against Cousins and the Falcons.

As a minor market 12 noon Sunday game? The week 1 prime spots are already filled. I would assume the league would want a ratings spotlight on this game and put it in prime time somewhere or at least a late Sunday slot.

Looks like Netflix will be getting 2 NFL games on Christmas......

(05-14-2024, 09:46 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Betting Vikings open at home against Cousins and the Falcons.

Nope. Falcons at home against Pittsburgh Week 1.

(05-15-2024, 12:07 AM)RS_Express Wrote: Who knows? Back in 2002 Rush on their Vapor Trails tour booked 3 shows in Brazil for the first time. They got the 3 biggest crowds of their career up to that point.  Wouldn't surprise me at all for Eagles/Packers to end up with a packed stadium of 70,000+.

I agree the plane flights won't be fun for the teams involved (Go Eagles!  Tongue ) but one thing for sure: a Brazilian crowd is never boring  Big Grin

It's not the crowd size that's the issue, it's that they are opening the season for two fanbases in Brazil. The fans here don't want it and I'm sure the players don't want to go down there to play and open the season as it's a huge pain in the ass. 

Also, just heard today that Netflix is close to a deal to stream two Christmas Day games in the NFL's quest to eventually become an exclusively pay per view product and sport. Like I said, the NFL is doing their damndest to alienate the everyday fan by trying to force them to subscribe to various streaming services to watch theor teams play football

(05-15-2024, 09:11 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: It's not the crowd size that's the issue, it's that they are opening the season for two fanbases in Brazil. The fans here don't want it and I'm sure the players don't want to go down there to play and open the season as it's a huge pain in the ass. 

Also, just heard today that Netflix is close to a deal to stream two Christmas Day games in the NFL's quest to eventually become an exclusively pay per view product and sport. Like I said, the NFL is doing their damndest to alienate the everyday fan by trying to force them to subscribe to various streaming services to watch theor teams play football

Yes, Netflix, Youtube, Amazon, Peacock,...the list will be endless some day. Back in the 80's when satellite TV started to get popular I drove 150 miles round trip to watch them on TV.  Last season I did not watch all our games, which got easier after the 1-4 start. If they are on prime-time I will most likely watch.

(05-15-2024, 09:11 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: It's not the crowd size that's the issue, it's that they are opening the season for two fanbases in Brazil. The fans here don't want it and I'm sure the players don't want to go down there to play and open the season as it's a huge pain in the ass. 

All of the negatives you laid out are valid but if you're the NFL and the NFL owners-- a business trying to make money-- you're going to try and grow the game, no? Going international is the obvious route to take. I don't fault them for doing so.

I'm in my 30s so for me the NFL has never been this niche sport we need to cradle and protect the sanctity of the game or whatever. It's always been huge and has only gotten larger as time has gone on. Someday it'll reach a saturation point and they'll have to dial back. Mark Cuban predicted they'd hit that point years ago lol and it just keeps growing. Until then I don't get too bent out of shape with the business practices. It makes me happy when they pull huge ratings because that means more eyeballs, more coverage, more random people at parties or work I can talk to and expect to be in the know about the games. I don't see that they're playing in a new place and think oh no it's the beginning of the end. Quite the opposite, for me.

BEAT THE GMEN!
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

(05-15-2024, 09:31 AM)pattersaur Wrote: All of the negatives you laid out are valid but if you're the NFL and the NFL owners-- a business trying to make money-- you're going to try and grow the game, no? Going international is the obvious route to take. I don't fault them for doing so.

I'm in my 30s so for me the NFL has never been this niche sport we need to cradle and protect the sanctity of the game or whatever. It's always been huge and has only gotten larger as time has gone on. Someday it'll reach a saturation point and they'll have to dial back. Mark Cuban predicted they'd hit that point years ago lol and it just keeps growing. Until then I don't get too bent out of shape with the business practices. It makes me happy when they pull huge ratings because that means more eyeballs, more coverage, more random people at parties or work I can talk to and expect to be in the know about the games. I don't see that they're playing in a new place and think oh no it's the beginning of the end. Quite the opposite, for me.

BEAT THE GMEN!

Agreed. I'm much older than you, but I don't get all curmudgeony about the NFL expanding overseas, going on different streaming platforms, etc. The NFL is King and long live the King.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(05-15-2024, 08:00 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: As a season tix holder, I am not happy to see a Jets home game in London.

I was looking forward to that one here.

Same. As a traveler, I try to hit a home game in Mpls somewhere between Oct. 5th and 15th. The heart of autumn is the best time to be there IMO. If the NFL makes me go to that frozen arctic hellscape in the winter I won't be happy.