Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Draft+
(05-02-2024, 02:46 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: The Khyree Jackson pick has me worried... for one, his lack of starting experience (14 starts) and being 25 yrs old...  seems like an odd selection after we burnt all our picks on the trade ups.  I'd have traded back because Brendan Rice (WR), Wingo (DT), and some IOL were available.

Jackson is the kind of player you take a swing at in the 4th, with his size and speed, if he was younger and had taken a more traditional route to where he is now, he may have been a 1/2 rounder.  This is a kid who started for Saban in a national championship game, he had some issues which took him off course, but came back to Oregon and put it all together there and is on the right track now.  I was hoping for a DT here, there was the DT who was also from Oregon, but think this was a solid pick with huge upside, he probably has the most physical talent of any CB on the roster.

I actually disagree on JJM being the least polished of this group. He had the least experience, but as far as reading defenses and making smart decisions, I’d say he’s well ahead of some of the other guys. I think he’s more polished than people realize and definitely more polished than any 20 year old just turned 21 that I’ve seen.

Caleb Williams will start day one and he has a ways to go on reading defenses/coverages. Most high school QB’s are better at protecting the ball. The guy had over 30 fumbles if I remember right. JJ is light years ahead of him at stuff like this. Caleb can probably get by in his enormous talent, but he has a long way to go in several areas that are pretty important.

JJ has far superior mechanics and footwork as well as decision making compared to Drake Maye and I expect Drake will stand a fair chance of starting for the Pats.

I think it’s more likely that KOC’s offensive system is the bigger hurdle and not so much JJ’s development as a QB. It’s going to be super interesting to see how it goes throughout the summer.

(05-04-2024, 01:16 AM)Havoc Wrote: I actually disagree on JJM being the least polished of this group. He had the least experience, but as far as reading defenses and making smart decisions, I’d say he’s well ahead of some of the other guys. I think he’s more polished than people realize and definitely more polished than any 20 year old just turned 21 that I’ve seen.

Caleb Williams will start day one and he has a ways to go on reading defenses/coverages. Most high school QB’s are better at protecting the ball. The guy had over 30 fumbles if I remember right. JJ is light years ahead of him at stuff like this. Caleb can probably get by in his enormous talent, but he has a long way to go in several areas that are pretty important.

JJ has far superior mechanics and footwork as well as decision making compared to Drake Maye and I expect Drake will stand a fair chance of starting for the Pats.

I think it’s more likely that KOC’s offensive system is the bigger hurdle and not so much JJ’s development as a QB. It’s going to be super interesting to see how it goes throughout the summer.

Agreed, what he CAN do right now translates to the NFL.  Throwing over the middle, utilizing the intermediate part of the field, has the arm strength and accuracy to make the sideline throws, can extend plays with his legs.  He just doesn't have a lot of volume.  If he did, we never would have been able to get him at 10.

Then when you consider he didn't have any highly drafted WRs or TEs to throw to like Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, or Michael Penix...  makes his college tape even more impressive.

Another thing that has stood out in the post draft interviews...  he has a presence.  Confident, doesn't trip on his words, engaging.  Seeing some of Daniels, Drake, and Penix it's a lot of "ums", "likes", and more of a nervous vibe.  May not mean anything, but just an observation.

(05-04-2024, 08:21 AM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Agreed, what he CAN do right now translates to the NFL.  Throwing over the middle, utilizing the intermediate part of the field, has the arm strength and accuracy to make the sideline throws, can extend plays with his legs.  He just doesn't have a lot of volume.  If he did, we never would have been able to get him at 10.

I keep wondering how the draft would've gone if JJ had played in a passing offense at Washington or LSU. I think he might've been seen as a Joe Burrow type and more of a consideration for #1 overall. 

The fact that Washington "seriously considered" JJ at #2 suggests that NFL teams had this in mind as well.

(05-04-2024, 09:19 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I keep wondering how the draft would've gone if JJ had played in a passing offense at Washington or LSU. I think he might've been seen as a Joe Burrow type and more of a consideration for #1 overall. 

The fact that Washington "seriously considered" JJ at #2 suggests that NFL teams had this in mind as well.

Regardless of the rumors, the fact is he was the 5th QB selected. He's got weaknesses. I'm as high on the kid as anyone, but he needs some seasoning. My concern is Viking Nation starts the 'JJ McCarthy' chant at the stadium in Week 3.....KOC is going to have to stay firm and resolved if Darnold sucks ass early.

(05-04-2024, 09:26 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Regardless of the rumors, the fact is he was the 5th QB selected. He's got weaknesses. I'm as high on the kid as anyone, but he needs some seasoning. My concern is Viking Nation starts the 'JJ McCarthy' chant at the stadium in Week 3.....KOC is going to have to stay firm and resolved if Darnold sucks ass early.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm as worried about our QBOTF as anyone. The painful truth is that at least two of these six will be busts. I just hope it's not our guy. 

And the best way to prevent that is to give him all the time he needs. I'm the campaign manager of the "Sit JJ for a Year" movement. Outside of preseason games, I don't want to see him on the field at all until 2025.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(05-04-2024, 01:16 AM)Havoc Wrote: I actually disagree on JJM being the least polished of this group. He had the least experience, but as far as reading defenses and making smart decisions, I’d say he’s well ahead of some of the other guys. I think he’s more polished than people realize and definitely more polished than any 20 year old just turned 21 that I’ve seen.

Agree that JJM is more advanced in terms of being able to make reads and play in a NFL style offense.  In regards to Williams, he is at another level than any other QB in this draft, I watched every snap of his two years, the turnover stats are misleading, they had one of the worst defenses and were always playing from behind, he often had to score every time they had the ball, so he had to force the play sometimes and take a lot of risks which led to the turnovers, also consider the fact they had no offensive line and he was usually running for his life as soon as he took a snap.  He will be a star day one.

(05-04-2024, 09:26 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Regardless of the rumors, the fact is he was the 5th QB selected. He's got weaknesses. I'm as high on the kid as anyone, but he needs some seasoning. My concern is Viking Nation starts the 'JJ McCarthy' chant at the stadium in Week 3.....KOC is going to have to stay firm and resolved if Darnold sucks ass early.

It'll be "JJ!" 

Not "JJ McCarthy!"

Problem is there's 2 JJ's

Fans dont refer to Jefferson as "Jetta" or "Jets" often

What if JJM is clearly the better QB in training camp and preseason? I don't know if that will be the case right away, but what if he learns the offense better and plays better and has more command? How do you not start him? And shouldn't you start him if that's the case?

(05-04-2024, 11:20 AM)PurplePastor Wrote: What if JJM is clearly the better QB in training camp and preseason? I don't know if that will be the case right away, but what if he learns the offense better and plays better and has more command? How do you not start him? And shouldn't you start him if that's the case?

I wont answer for @Sticky...My own opinion is that Darnold starts the regular regardless of TC, OTA, Pre-Season performance from the 21 year old. 

Viking Nation needs to pray Darnold stays healthy. 

How KOC handles his reps in August will be interesting to see. He will need reps being new to the system and all - KOC will need to strike a fine balance in how much he actually plays in the pre-season. It'll be more than KC would.