Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Draft+
Not a watcher of college football, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt (as with all my miscellaneous thoughts).

1. McCarthy:  This is an instance of in KOC We Trust.  To a certain extent the Vikings history of drafting QBs is remarkable in how little draft capital they have spent on QBs.  Here is a good article on that:  Vikings Draft History for QBs. It does seem like the Vikings have put a lot of thought into how to develop a rookie QB and let's hope that events don't derail this strategy.
  2. Turner:  Just like QB, it is remarkable to me how little valuable draft capital the Vikings have invested in edge rushers the past few years.  It has been nearly two decades since the Vikings spent a first or second round pick on an edge rusher.  I am guessing this is largely due to their success in finding good edge rushers in the mid to late rounds such as Hunter (3rd), Griffen (4th) and Robison (4th).  It is amazing to me how the success of past management seeps into the though process of current management regimes.  Though I have reservations regarding Kwesi stemming from his first draft, it is really refreshing how he has re-written the Vikings script for drafting QBs and Edge through this first round.
  3. Jackson:  This is one of the picks for which I have deep reservations.  This is an instance of in Flores We Trust.  I thought there were some very solid players at positions of high need (interior line play) available.  I also hate drafting a player based on one outstanding season.
  4. Reichard:  At first I hated this pick but I have grown to like it for one reason.  In the recent past, the Vikings have selected kickers for teams that were expected to compete at a very high level -- that is not the case next season.  Reichard will be able to play in a less stressful environment and hone his pro craft without worry of losing his job.  It really is the best environment for bringing in a rookie kicker.
  5. Rodriguez:  I am fascinated by this choice simply because it is a long line of picks and signings trying to capture the John Randle lighting in the bottle.  The minute I looked at info on LDR, I thought of Hercules Mata-afa.  There is enough info to make the pick intriguing and a storyline to follow during training camp (unlike Jurgens who seems to be a very vanilla pick).
  6. 2025 Draft:  I am assuming the number of picks next year will be augmented by: (a) a compensatory pick; (b) a Cousins tampering pick; and/or © the Vikings offloading some excess talent for late round picks (most likely Mullens/Cine/Booth).

The Khyree Jackson pick has me worried... for one, his lack of starting experience (14 starts) and being 25 yrs old... seems like an odd selection after we burnt all our picks on the trade ups. I'd have traded back because Brendan Rice (WR), Wingo (DT), and some IOL were available.

LDR is a Hercules-like pick, good comp on that. Lots of people calling him the steal of the draft. The Athletic even did a piece on him prior to the draft (Player X).

BOLD Prediction...

JJ McCarthy will be the BEST QB we've ever drafted in the top 10.

BOOM

No doubt JJM is KOC's project. He's the least polished dude of this year's 1st round crop. All this talk about him starting sooner rather than later is pure silliness. He's going to need all of the reps and learning moments he can get. Trust me, the best thing to happen to JJM will be Darnold having some success this season. JJM just turned 21 years old in January, he's a baby. KOC will not waver from his development plan, whatever that is. He was the 5th QB taken for a reason. Not trying to throw water on his selection, everyone knows that this is my guy, but everyone will need to temper their expectations for a bit. There's a cautionary tale right there on the Viking's roster: Sam Darnold.
[-] The following 2 users Like StickierBuns's post:

(05-03-2024, 06:54 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: No doubt JJM is KOC's project. He's the least polished dude of this year's 1st round crop. All this talk about him starting sooner rather than later is pure silliness. He's going to need all of the reps and learning moments he can get. Trust me, the best thing to happen to JJM will be Darnold having some success this season. JJM just turned 21 years old in January, he's a baby. KOC will not waver from his development plan, whatever that is. He was the 5th QB taken for a reason. Not trying to throw water on his selection, everyone knows that this is my guy, but everyone will need to temper their expectations for a bit. There's a cautionary tale right there on the Viking's roster: Sam Darnold.

I think of the difference between Cousins' year 1 in this offense compared to year 2 (and why I was super excited for year 3). It's a complex offense. 

Vikings would be fools if they let JJ see the field this year. When he sees live bullets for the 1st time, I want him knowing the offense inside and out, having spent a full year and a half in QB school.

Agree about JJ, super young and the least polished of the 6 coming out of the gate. He needs to learn how to be a pro and the Vikings offense is as complex as it gets.

I am slowing morphing into a Darnold supporter. Frankly, I wish it was KC here doing the teaching.

My guess at the September depth chart is an easy one:
Darnold
Mullens
JJ

(05-03-2024, 08:18 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: My guess at the September depth chart is an easy one:
Darnold
Mullens
JJ

I think this is really an interesting question.  I think the Vikes may trade Mullens and keep Hall but I wouldn't be opposed to the above as it thoroughly insulates JJ from playing too early in case of a Darnold injury.  That being said, how would it play to fans and inside the locker room if JJ started off 3rd string?  How would the Minny press react to that (and would that be damaging)?

I also feel good about Darnold, he was really highly thought off coming out of USC.  It will be interesting to see how KOC handles coaching simultaneously Darnold and JJ.

(05-03-2024, 09:37 AM)VikingOracle Wrote: I think this is really an interesting question.  I think the Vikes may trade Mullens and keep Hall but I wouldn't be opposed to the above as it thoroughly insulates JJ from playing too early in case of a Darnold injury.  That being said, how would it play to fans and inside the locker room if JJ started off 3rd string?  How would the Minny press react to that (and would that be damaging)?

I also feel good about Darnold, he was really highly thought off coming out of USC.  It will be interesting to see how KOC handles coaching simultaneously Darnold and JJ.

Agree. I think Darnold is going to raise a few eyebrows in this offense. Not Cousins level, but somewhere between Mullens and Cousins. 

As far as JJ being QB3 to start, I fully expect it. I remember a few folks were mocking Will Levis when he started as QB3 behind Malik Willis. But of course he did. He was a year behind Willis in terms of knowing their offense. That didn't last long and at some point this year JJ may move ahead of Mullens, but I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't. And I don't think it would mean a damn thing.

(05-03-2024, 07:56 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think of the difference between Cousins' year 1 in this offense compared to year 2 (and why I was super excited for year 3). It's a complex offense. 

Vikings would be fools if they let JJ see the field this year. When he sees live bullets for the 1st time, I want him knowing the offense inside and out, having spent a full year and a half in QB school.
.....& with a better IOL protecting him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Knucklehead's post:

(05-02-2024, 01:56 PM)VikingOracle Wrote: Rodriguez:  I am fascinated by this choice simply because it is a long line of picks and signings trying to capture the John Randle lighting in the bottle.  The minute I looked at info on LDR, I thought of Hercules Mata-afa.  There is enough info to make the pick intriguing and a storyline to follow during training camp (unlike Jurgens who seems to be a very vanilla pick).

Can't help but be excited about LDR when you hear Ryan Grigson talk about him. I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about a 7th rounder this way.

[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post: