Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk is pissed about Penix
I lowkey like this for the Falcons. Obviously, Cousins has a shelf life. They committed to him for two years. He's a top 10ish qb, but not elite. He's coming off a big injury. They probably needed to start looking for his replacement in 2025, where there are no QBs. I don't think this relegates Cousins to a bridge QB. I don't think he'll have to deal with the questions of everyone asking for him to get replaced after every mistake during the season.

If they were locked into Cousins for 4 years, sure look elsewhere for a year, but Cousins isn't good enough to keep you from trying to find an upgrade and Penix should probably sit a year anyway.
[-] The following 2 users Like medaille's post:

The practical side says ok, I can get there, I get the move
The emotional calculus says you just blew-up the place - all to hell

I am very happy about it.

(04-26-2024, 07:25 AM)JR44 Wrote: Who was going to throw the ball in that case to get us over the hump?  Culpepper was the best deep thrower in our history and was part of our most exciting years offensively.  He took us to a NFC championship game and had one of the best playoff performances by a Viking in our amazing win over GB in Lamblow.  Unfortunately, he was not the same after his injury, but by far was the right pick.

Well that wasn't my point, Sorry, I guess I should have made that more clear.
I never said he wasn't good. I really liked Daunte.
In 99 we also had Jeff George and a rookie QB wasn't going to start. If we picked Jevon Kearse we would have had a better chance to get to the Superbowl that year.

All the anger at Kirk was always stupid, and still is. He's top 5 in Vikings QB history despite infamously s**t protection and 3 of his 5 years with a coach that couldn't keep an OC on the sideline...partially because he wanted his offense to be pure 1973.

I guess the people saying "they must have watched Kirk's game tape" missed a whole lot of footage to Diggs, JJ, AT, KJ, and even Addison. All those yards, scores, and even records must be flukes or something...right? Gimme a break.

I think Atlanta just either fugged up, or just guaranteed that they're in for a heaping helping of everything we've had for years: "are they trading him to SF?!?!". Given how badly they whiffed on their last young QB, I see this as pure dumbassery from a front office that's clueless about locker room dynamics.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 3 users Like Zanary's post:

Just read that Atlanta spent like 45 minutes with Penix total pre-Draft, lol. Complete surprise move. Kirk doesn't like someone breathing down his neck. This really changes the dynamic of things for him, I can see fans chanting for Penix if Cousins hits a couple game rough patch.

https://twitter.com/DMRussini/status/178...9320730991

No sympathy from me...Both Atlanta and Cousins got what they asked for...no future.
[-] The following 2 users Like ArizonaViking's post:

I think this was a smart move by the Falcons. They have Drake London, Pitts, and Bijan for the next couple years and need to capitalize on that offensive talent.

They saw what their team looked like with the Heinicke's and Ridder's of the world at QB. I'm not a fan of Penix as a pro prospect, but it was a smart move to have a rookie marinating behind Kirk so they have a transition plan in place a few years from now.

(04-26-2024, 09:00 AM)ArizonaViking Wrote: No sympathy from me...Both Atlanta and Cousins got what they asked for...no future.

Why do you think they have no future?  Obviously Cousins is older and running out of future, but Atlanta got the present and the future in the building now with time to work out any mechanical kinks Penix has.

(04-26-2024, 07:35 AM)medaille Wrote: I lowkey like this for the Falcons.  Obviously, Cousins has a shelf life. They committed to him for two years.  He's a top 10ish qb, but not elite.  He's coming off a big injury.  They probably needed to start looking for his replacement in 2025, where there are no QBs.  I don't think this relegates Cousins to a bridge QB.  I don't think he'll have to deal with the questions of everyone asking for him to get replaced after every mistake during the season.

If they were locked into Cousins for 4 years, sure look elsewhere for a year, but Cousins isn't good enough to keep you from trying to find an upgrade and Penix should probably sit a year anyway.

If the thought process is "Penix is the future" then they never should've given Kirk all that money. It's a weird move-- shades of the Jordan Love pick to a degree.

Now if Kirk balls out you didn't get him any help and Penix will be on the pine for awhile. And if Penix balls out from the get-go then how bad do they wish they had Kirk's money back?

There's a lot of different ways this can get messy in a hurry. What if Kirk isn't ready to start week 1? Or 2? Or 4? Say Penix comes in and the team is winning. Then what? Some would say good problem to have, but if Kirk is making $40+M/yr and is hurt and untradable, that is a BAD look for ATL.

Could be fun/funny to watch it unfold.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

Reports are that Kirk asked for Penix's number and called him to welcome him to the team. So while he was understandably disappointed and surprised, Kirk being Kirk handled the moment with class.
[-] The following 2 users Like JR44's post: