Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting to read/see more of a single narrative: Vikes moving up
I get it.

I don’t know all the factors in the JJ decision, but if he doesn’t bring the leadership and intangibles to go along with the skill he obviously brings, I say trade him for value. I’m just too old for the fanboy stuff. It’s about the team to me cause it’s gonna take 50 players to win it all and having the highest paid player at a position of deep talent across the league doesn’t seem like the best use of resources to me.

RB’s used to get the bag and now they are quite devalued in the grand scheme. WR’s are not at that level but you have to adapt.

(04-24-2024, 05:52 PM)Bullazin Wrote: I get it. 

I don’t know all the factors in the JJ decision, but if he doesn’t bring the leadership and intangibles to go along with the skill he obviously brings, I say trade him for value. I’m just too old for the fanboy stuff. It’s about the team to me cause it’s gonna take 50 players to win it all and having the highest paid player at a position of deep talent across the league doesn’t seem like the best use of resources to me.

RB’s used to get the bag and now they are quite devalued in the grand scheme. WR’s are not at that level but you have to adapt.

Have you heard anything that says JJ isn't a leader or doesn't have whatever intangibles you speak of?
[-] The following 1 user Likes bigbone62's post:

I don't understand the reluctance by some to go get our QB this year. We have the ammo to make it happen. It's the most important position in football.

We aren't winning a Super Bowl with a first round pass rusher or CB. It's funny, most fans have been begging for a young QB for this franchise and now when we're set up to take one it's, hey let's be frugal about this and see if one falls in our lap. Otherwise let's just build the team up and go for one next year...

Nevermind that there are always teams looking for a QB and we might be in the same spot we are now... Not bad enough to get the a top 2-3 pick and looking to convince a team to trade up.

It's time to get our guy now, folks. I'm fine with giving up picks if they have conviction on a QB. They are just picks, not our first born children.
[-] The following 5 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

(04-24-2024, 07:06 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: I don't understand the reluctance by some to go get our QB this year.  We have the ammo to make it happen.  It's the most important position in football. 

We aren't winning a Super Bowl with a first round pass rusher or CB. It's funny, most fans have been begging for a young QB for this franchise and now when we're set up to take one it's, hey let's be frugal about this and see if one falls in our lap.  Otherwise let's just build the team up and go for one next year... 

Nevermind that there are always teams looking for a QB and we might be in the same spot we are now...  Not bad enough to get the a top 2-3 pick and looking to convince a team to trade up.

It's time to get our guy now, folks.  I'm fine with giving up picks if they have conviction on a QB.  They are just picks, not our first born children.

These are the same guys who had conviction on Lewis Cine, Andrew Booth, Asamoah, Nailor, giving Josh Oliver 21 million bucks, bringing back Bradbury and Mattison, and the list goes on and on. They've drafted one impactful upper echelon player in two drafts. What makes ANYBODY think they get it right on their first swing at taking an early round QB? Jaren Hall looked awful in limited action last year. Did they have conviction on him too? This is even more of a reason as to why I don't want to see us give up a shit ton of high draft picks to take one swing at a quarterback. It's a recipe for disaster. I don't get you folks who are ok giving up whatever amount of picks for this front office to take a swing when they've proven to be inept in the swing department
[-] The following 2 users Like supafreak84's post:

(04-24-2024, 04:52 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: The QB class will not be near as deep next year which will very likely then cost even more to move up (supply and demand )  and we would still likely be drafting a QB that would benefit by sitting a year or even more before being ready.  Not to mention we have already allocated some of next years assets to this draft,  which makes us even less able to make a big move next year.

Also of you want to kick that QB can another year or more down the road,  then trade Jefferson now,  he has a shelf life and no point in paying him to wait around for 3 more years before we get serious about building a team that can run at his level.

This is the year to get our guy.  If they miss they miss,  but if they hit....well they might be fun in a couple years again.

(04-24-2024, 06:46 PM)bigbone62 Wrote: Have you heard anything that says JJ isn't a leader or doesn't have whatever intangibles you speak of?

I have not.  I have heard he wants to break the bank, fine, he’s pretty much earned it production wise,   My point was pretty clear I hope.

(04-24-2024, 07:06 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: I don't understand the reluctance by some to go get our QB this year.  We have the ammo to make it happen.  It's the most important position in football. 

We aren't winning a Super Bowl with a first round pass rusher or CB. It's funny, most fans have been begging for a young QB for this franchise and now when we're set up to take one it's, hey let's be frugal about this and see if one falls in our lap.  Otherwise let's just build the team up and go for one next year... 

Nevermind that there are always teams looking for a QB and we might be in the same spot we are now...  Not bad enough to get the a top 2-3 pick and looking to convince a team to trade up.

It's time to get our guy now, folks.  I'm fine with giving up picks if they have conviction on a QB.  They are just picks, not our first born children.

Agreed with all of this. It’s ironic the Vikes are desperate for draft ammo 2 years after gifting #12 for a bag of chips. Who cares if a QB pick pans out? For me this draft is about figuring out if we have a GM problem. Two strikes for me already with (1) 2022 draft and (2) allowing a billion dollar business to have a 3 month succession plan so heavily reliant on no change (I.e. miscalculated ability to re-sign Cousins).

(04-24-2024, 05:49 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: There may not be the top end quarterback talent next year, but there will be plenty of guys available on par with the McCarthy's and Bo Nix's of this draft. I just don't think we panic this year and mortgage the next two drafts and potentially a player to move up and take a swing on a quarterback that's not one of the top couple prospects

the logic was to pass on a moving up for a guy in this draft, but to move up next year for one of the guys slated to potentially be available at 11.... so why not move up now and get the future started if their target guy is better than what may or may not be available next draft?

(04-24-2024, 05:52 PM)Bullazin Wrote: I get it.

I think the WR bubble will be the next to burst, they are being grossly over valued IMO. They can change the game, but are still overly reliant on other aspect to operate like OL and QB, hell even still on the running game to keep the D playing honest. JJ is a primo WR, but he cant win the game alone so overpaying him would have its consequences, but at the same time, he does tilt the defense and ignoring that can have devastating consequences on the offensive performance. you pay him a kings ransom, but you dont let him consume you ability to still be a free agent player to fill positions of need with quality.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(04-24-2024, 09:07 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: the logic was to pass on a moving up for a guy in this draft, but to move up next year for one of the guys slated to potentially be available at 11.... so why not move up now and get the future started if their target guy is better than what may or may not be available next draft?

I look at it this way, can we all agree that regardless...Sam Darnold is probably our starter for most, if not all, of this upcoming season? If he sucks then theres a great chance we have a top 5 pick in 2025. Its cost mitigation. Where this year, it's being rumored we could give up to three 1st round picks in a scramble to move up and draft a quarterback. I dont think thats good business and believe there are some good prospects for 2025 and we could grab one without having to pay the bounty. Nevermind the fact that if Darnold does suck and we have a rookie that sits most of the year learning, we might end up with the #1 overall pick and are you okay giving that up to take a swing at the 4th or 5th QB in this draft? I know I wouldn't be

(04-24-2024, 04:52 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: The QB class will not be near as deep next year which will very likely then cost even more to move up (supply and demand )  and we would still likely be drafting a QB that would benefit by sitting a year or even more before being ready.  Not to mention we have already allocated some of next years assets to this draft,  which makes us even less able to make a big move next year.

Also of you want to kick that QB can another year or more down the road,  then trade Jefferson now,  he has a shelf life and no point in paying him to wait around for 3 more years before we get serious about building a team that can run at his level.

This is the year to get our guy.  If they miss they miss,  but if they hit....well they might be fun in a couple years again.

Agreed…I’ve literally been saying all of this since January