Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the fuck
Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@purplefaithful said:
@TBro said:
@VikingOracle said:
@TBro said:
As good as Cousins played most of the game, he will be remembered by a Checkdown Pass that had no chance for a first down. Game over. Baffling. 
Much more complicated than that.  I think TJH was the first read and they went to that well one to many times.  Giants switched up their defense, KOC made a bad call and Cousins should have audibled out of the called play.
Listening to KFAN, Lawrence looped around Bradbury and Cleveland and got to Cousins before he had time to let the routes develop so he heaved it  TJ hoping for a prayer after the catch. 
How the heck do we acquire a stud like Lawrence for our IDL?

KC got the s hit kicked out of him all year and he came up big. But we cant count on him being an ironman forever. 
Zimmer only had hard ons for DB's and we settle on picking up tier 2-3 FA's instead of scouting true studs. Same has been true for interior OL. This team likes shiny things.
too many years spent building the team from the back to the front. 

Quote: @kmillard said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@purplefaithful said:
@TBro said:
@VikingOracle said:
@TBro said:
As good as Cousins played most of the game, he will be remembered by a Checkdown Pass that had no chance for a first down. Game over. Baffling. 
Much more complicated than that.  I think TJH was the first read and they went to that well one to many times.  Giants switched up their defense, KOC made a bad call and Cousins should have audibled out of the called play.
Listening to KFAN, Lawrence looped around Bradbury and Cleveland and got to Cousins before he had time to let the routes develop so he heaved it  TJ hoping for a prayer after the catch. 
How the heck do we acquire a stud like Lawrence for our IDL?

KC got the s hit kicked out of him all year and he came up big. But we cant count on him being an ironman forever. 
Zimmer only had hard ons for DB's and we settle on picking up tier 2-3 FA's instead of scouting true studs. Same has been true for interior OL. This team likes shiny things.
too many years spent building the team from the back to the front. 
winner!

fuck the next year or 2,  lets focus on the IOL and DL and then worry about a franchise QB,  the way we've been doing it just keeps making it harder to get over that hump.  and when we are looking for IOL,  can we get some that are stout enough to stand up these behemoth DTs that have been shoving our zone blocking OL on their asses for the past 10 years?  maybe we need to draft DTs and flip them to OL,  because something we are doing drafting IOL isnt getting it done.

Quote: @TBro said:
Unfortunately that's true. Before that throw I kept thinking how good Kirk had been all day. He was really the only reason we were in this game. He played very well. 

I think I would've preferred to see a prayer downfield to at least give someone a chance, but throwing short of the sticks and getting an RAC conversion is something we've done--and teams have done against us--many many times this year. No one ever complains when it works. 

Of course, the biggest difference is that when we do it, there's typically a defender there to make it a contest. When it's done against us, Eric Kendricks is about 10 yards away. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:
Unfortunately that's true. Before that throw I kept thinking how good Kirk had been all day. He was really the only reason we were in this game. He played very well. 

I think I would've preferred to see a prayer downfield to at least give someone a chance, but throwing short of the sticks and getting an RAC conversion is something we've done--and teams have done against us--many many times this year. No one every complains when it works. 

Of course, the biggest difference is that when we do it, there's typically a defender there to make it a contest. When it's done against us, Eric Kendricks is about 10 yards away. 
The bottom falling out on Kendricks has been hard to watch this year. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

I think I would've preferred to see a prayer downfield to at least give someone a chance, but throwing short of the sticks and getting an RAC conversion is something we've done--and teams have done against us--many many times this year. No one every complains when it works. 

As bad as our MLBs were at getting off blocks and making stops in the run game,  why didn't they just roll with smaller faster LBs or DBs that actually had a chance to make plays in the passing game.  It was sad how easy they were able to exploit EK yesterday over and over by running a route through his zone,  watching him bite and then just throw out to the flat that he was also responsible for.   That is more on donatel imo.

I’m coming back to this a day later with nothing much to add but to reiterate— WTF!

We failed to get JJ the ball much (at all?) in the second half but that aside, Kirk played so well all game. But I seriously have no idea what he was doing on the last play. Hock was blanketed and way way way short of the line to gain. Pitiful and baffling.

I also agree with whoever said that TJH had been money all day. If they want to get him the ball on that play I love that idea. Just do it 10 yards down the field. Bitter ending to a fun year.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

I listened to snippets fro both KOC and KC after the game...He had to toss that fast or it was going to be a sack. But yah, I would rather have seen a prayer downfield, even that situation. 

I would have rather seen the D hold the Gmen to a punt now and then too and not put us in that situation at all, 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

I listened to snippets fro both KOC and KC after the game...He had to toss that fast or it was going to be a sack. But yah, I would rather have seen a prayer downfield, even that situation. 

I would have rather seen the D hold the Gmen to a punt now and then too and not put us in that situation at all, 

or maybe he could have used his legs a bit to extend the play and give himself another tic or two for things to develop?  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

As bad as our MLBs were at getting off blocks and making stops in the run game,  why didn't they just roll with smaller faster LBs or DBs that actually had a chance to make plays in the passing game.  It was sad how easy they were able to exploit EK yesterday over and over by running a route through his zone,  watching him bite and then just throw out to the flat that he was also responsible for.   That is more on donatel imo.
Agreed. All of this isn't on him. It goes back to creating a scheme to fit your players and not the other way around like Donatell did with the veterans he inherited. He basically neutered Kendricks and what he's good at by forcing him into a role he can't execute. Same with Harry, Same with Hunter. PJ Fleck made the difficult choice of firing his DC half way through the Big Ten Season back in 2018. Robb Smith was running a 3-4 scheme the Gophers didn't have the players to execute and like the Vikings they were getting gashed by inferior teams. In comes Joe Rossi and switches to a Hybrid 4-3 and turns their season around. Rossi was already on the staff so he new the players and what their strengths were when designing the scheme they would implement on the fly. I wish the Vikings would have admitted their mistake early in the season and made the scheme change. If Donatell couldn't switch schemes and is a one trick pony, then find someone else that can. Heck, why not have Wes call his Dad and have him come in and take over for the remainder of the Season? I know Wade runs and prefers a 3-4, but he also is really good at creating a scheme to fit his players and has run 4-3 versions of his defense. Bottom line is that good coaches are adaptable to the players they have to work with. I never felt Donatell was willing or able to do that with this group who never really improved at all during the season. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@TBro said:

or maybe he could have used his legs a bit to extend the play and give himself another tic or two for things to develop?  
He wont ever do that with the consistency most of us would like. We saw more this year than ever, but...

I suspect IOL got it handed to themselves from Lawrence (again) in that situation. KC wouldnt have had a prayer with the pressure up the gut. MAYBE Hurts, Allen or Mahomes. 

Here's a thought, maybe call a roll-out instead of straight drop back??? I dont recall many of those this season or screen passes.