Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk is pissed about Penix
If the Falcons owner is 81 and wants to win now this is a truly bad decision.  Owners should not be allowed in the room on draft night.  But then Kirk is all about himself and the money and if, as it has been alluded to in his early Viking career, he doesn't like a backup that pushes him as a starter then this just adds to the situation.

Not sure which draft decision is whose with Atlanta taking Penix or the Bills trading with the Chiefs which allowed them to take a speed burner at receiver.
[-] The following 2 users Like Greylock's post:

Yes, I would be pissed if I was a Bills fan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VikingOracle's post:

(04-26-2024, 11:40 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: That made it even more stranger to me. Assuming that Kirko will be their starter for the next 2 seasons, Penix will be 26 years old when he takes over. As strange as it was to draft a QB, why wouldn't you draft JJM who is only 21?

I doubt that there re many GM's that are concerned about their QB only playing 12 years vs 14.

(04-26-2024, 09:11 AM)pattersaur Wrote: If the thought process is "Penix is the future" then they never should've given Kirk all that money. It's a weird move-- shades of the Jordan Love pick to a degree.

Now if Kirk balls out you didn't get him any help and Penix will be on the pine for awhile. And if Penix balls out from the get-go then how bad do they wish they had Kirk's money back?

There's a lot of different ways this can get messy in a hurry. What if Kirk isn't ready to start week 1? Or 2? Or 4? Say Penix comes in and the team is winning. Then what? Some would say good problem to have, but if Kirk is making $40+M/yr and is hurt and untradable, that is a BAD look for ATL.

Could be fun/funny to watch it unfold.

The reason you sign Kirk and get a rookie is for the same reason we should have did it 2 years ago.  You maximize your chance to win now with known quantity Kirk, while trying to find the guy with a chance to be your elite QB.

It is never a bad look to have two good QBs.  No one with any common sense will judge them harshly for not putting all their eggs in just the Penix basket, because we all know that rookies aren't guaranteed to succeed.
[-] The following 2 users Like medaille's post:

Atlanta has a curious draft strategy at best, last season they took a RB at #8, the year prior they took a TE at #4. Now an older QB at #8 w/ a very expensive Cousins freshly signed. For a marginal playoff contender, that’s some strange utilization of 1st round draft capital… & common sense tells me that is a foolish way to build a contending roster!  Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kentis's post:

(04-26-2024, 12:07 PM)medaille Wrote: The reason you sign Kirk and get a rookie is for the same reason we should have did it 2 years ago.  You maximize your chance to win now with known quantity Kirk, while trying to find the guy with a chance to be your elite QB.

It is never a bad look to have two good QBs.  No one with any common sense will judge them harshly for not putting all their eggs in just the Penix basket, because we all know that rookies aren't guaranteed to succeed.

I agree the past two years I definitely wanted to see us draft a successor, seemed like we tried to do that last year with Richardson, although think we missed the boat with Levis.  In this case, the length of the contract with the guaranteed money combined with Penix's age is what I think makes this so surprising.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

(04-26-2024, 12:07 PM)medaille Wrote: The reason you sign Kirk and get a rookie is for the same reason we should have did it 2 years ago.  You maximize your chance to win now with known quantity Kirk, while trying to find the guy with a chance to be your elite QB.

This is actually a brilliant take. If they get what they want from Kirk, and they obviously are betting a ton on that, then they expect to have a crappy draft position for the next couple of seasons at least. This gives them a young(ish) QB, on the cheap, who can learn and marinate without as much hurry.

That said...my main issue is that I think that's REALLY high for Penix, given his history. Yeah, it'd been awhile since a bad injury, but he was basically junk at least part of the game against Michigan and obviously hobbled.

In any case, Atlanta may have a Chargers' "Brees/Rivers" situation that they can profit from, as well. We'll all find out soon enough.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!

Maybe they'll play Cousins during the season, Then Penix during Monday night & the Post-Season
[-] The following 5 users Like Vanguard83's post:

For sure. I do understand the reasoning but the opportunity cost of getting a guy you hope to start for the next two years, in a very winnable division on an (in theory) up and coming team is not nothing. I was surprised by the pick. It definitely could still work out swimmingly for them. I don't blame Kirk for being a bit blindsided though.

(04-26-2024, 02:05 PM)pattersaur Wrote: For sure. I do understand the reasoning but the opportunity cost of getting a guy you hope to start for the next two years, in a very winnable division on an (in theory) up and coming team is not nothing. I was surprised by the pick. It definitely could still work out swimmingly for them. I don't blame Kirk for being a bit blindsided though.

I think if Kirk was 35 year old uninjured Aaron Rodgers, I'd be fully on team draft a different position.  I'm just of the camp that if you don't have an elite QB, you need to keep drafting one until you get one and I think Penix has that potential as much as any other prospect, although the injury history is a little scary.  I'm not a fan of waiting until the QB is off your team and you are desperate to draft the next option, so using that pick for a QB and not a starter at another position is just the cost of finding an elite QB to me.

Like JJ, Darrisaw, and Turner could all be #1 at their positions for the next decade and without an elite QB, we're probably hoping they win a SB, but getting an elite QB shifts it to how many SBs will they win.

I can totally see Kirk being blindsided, but he's just not elite enough to not have competition.  I imagine they are where we were.  Hoping that Kirk is going to get them to the promiseland, but leaning heavily on the hope side of things.  I certainly don't feel confident that Kirk plus Turner made them an immediate SB contender.
[-] The following 2 users Like medaille's post: