Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keenum + Sloter for 2018?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:
Are teams seriously going to give Teddy Starter money if he does not play one snap this year?  his knee is a huge question mark right now and the Sam Bradford mystery knee injury will make every team think twice about signing a guy to a Starter contract who has had as devastating a knee injury as Teddy. 

I do get the hometown love an willingness to overpay for him from the Vikings and Zimmer but does anyone seriously think that in the offseason a team will throw 15+ million a year at Teddy?  BTW I love Teddy and I want him to be the franchise QB but I am not sure he warrants a contract that big.
I think you can only pay Teddy big money if he's proven to you that he isn't affected by the knee, either physically or mentally. And you can't really know that without putting him into a game. One way or another, Teddy has to play. 
If Teddy were to somehow get to unrestricted free agency, someone would pay him. I don't think its a huge mystery either. As the team you can protect yourself in a number of different ways (signing bonus, term, salary, roster bonuses, etc..) There are a number of teams that are so desperate for a QB and flush with cap space that risks can be taken. 

In the Vikings shoes you need to be a bit more careful. You can pay a QB, but you need to make sure Teddy is the right option. But that is where it becomes ideal to get him into a game at some point. Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Diggs are all going to get substantial raises. You cannot risk losing one of those players, reducing the Vikings margin for error.  
How high do you think he is on the QB FA list, this next year?

FA QBs 
Rodgers, Cousins, Garapalo McCarron, Teddy, Case, Bradford

10 Teams that could be looking for QB
49'ers
Buffalo
Ny Jets
Cleveland
Jax
Chargers
Arizona
Green Bay
Minnesota
Washington

Draftable  QB s
CBS latest mock has 7 going first round, probably unlikely.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:
Are teams seriously going to give Teddy Starter money if he does not play one snap this year?  his knee is a huge question mark right now and the Sam Bradford mystery knee injury will make every team think twice about signing a guy to a Starter contract who has had as devastating a knee injury as Teddy. 

I do get the hometown love an willingness to overpay for him from the Vikings and Zimmer but does anyone seriously think that in the offseason a team will throw 15+ million a year at Teddy?  BTW I love Teddy and I want him to be the franchise QB but I am not sure he warrants a contract that big.
I think you can only pay Teddy big money if he's proven to you that he isn't affected by the knee, either physically or mentally. And you can't really know that without putting him into a game. One way or another, Teddy has to play. 
If Teddy were to somehow get to unrestricted free agency, someone would pay him. I don't think its a huge mystery either. As the team you can protect yourself in a number of different ways (signing bonus, term, salary, roster bonuses, etc..) There are a number of teams that are so desperate for a QB and flush with cap space that risks can be taken. 

In the Vikings shoes you need to be a bit more careful. You can pay a QB, but you need to make sure Teddy is the right option. But that is where it becomes ideal to get him into a game at some point. Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Diggs are all going to get substantial raises. You cannot risk losing one of those players, reducing the Vikings margin for error.  

FA QBs 

49'ers
Buffalo
Ny Jets
Cleveland
Jax
Chargers
Arizona
Green Bay
Minnesota
Washington

Draftable  QB s

which of  those teams will also be looking for a HC?   if Shurmur goes to a team that is looking for a QB IMO he takes Keenum with him.

as far as that list... the niners have to be looking to sign or tag garapalo so take them off the list.  I would bet that Teddy would be below rodgers, and cousins,  but ahead of the rest you have there.   and also likely more desireable than a team looking to draft one.  how sure of a thing do the dolphins have?  would they make a run at Teddy?   I dont think Teddy would be on the market any longer than he wanted to be.  if his knee is good he will be getting payed pretty good money next year.

@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

FA QBs 

49'ers
Buffalo
Ny Jets
Cleveland
Jax
Chargers
Arizona
Green Bay
Minnesota
Washington

Draftable  QB s

Wow, Denver just an oversight there? Not sure any team needs a QB more than they do. I'd agree that Jimmy G won't see the market and I doubt Rodgers will either. Hopefully Teddy won't, but if he does, it would be him and Cousins getting the big pay days. Teddy's knee question would drop his value, but the fact that he's only 25 compared to Cousins at 30 would boost it. Bah...it's all moot. I would be absolutely gobsmacked if Teddy Bridgewater were anywhere but Minnesota next season. 

The only way that could happen, short of a knee complication, is if this team decided that Case Keenum were its future. And I think even the most fanatical Keenum fan would admit that's not very likely. 

To add some context, I think there is a misunderstanding of what Teddy is worth. His negotiation is going to go one of two ways. 

1. The team locks into a shorter term deal to mitigate the teams risk with additional guaranteed money being the trade off for the player. This is the method the Eagles took with Bradford in his 2016 extension. 

2. The team offers the player market rate money and term but does not offer a significant signing bonus and reduces guarantees. Usually the player gets competitive roster bonuses with strong language. This method gives the team an easy way out of the deal with the player not being penalized for their injury or poor season. This is the method the Bengals have taken with Andy Dalton to much success. 

So what does this mean for Bridgewater? Well, considering the Vikings have historically tried to pay players upfront to avoid kicking anything down the road option #2 has been their pro forma. From Bridgewater's side this makes sense to take money up-front with the opportunity earn market rate and a potential renegotiation down the road. Money wise it would look something like this: 

Deal: 5 years $90M with $25M in guaranteed money ($2.5M signing bonus). All roster bonuses due 3 days prior to each new league year. Bridgewaters 2020 salary is 50% guaranteed at the payout of the $6M roster bonus and another 50% guaranteed at the beginning of camp.  

2018 - Salary: $12.0M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0M / Cap Hit: $12.5M / Dead Cap: $25M / Cap Savings: ($12.5M)
2019 - Salary: $10.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $4.0M / Cap Hit: $15.0M / Dead Cap: $12.5M / Cap Savings: $2.5M
2020 - Salary: $12M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $6.0M / Cap Hit: $18.5M / Dead Cap: $1.5M / Cap Savings: $17M
2021 - Salary: $19.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0 / Cap Hit: $20M / Dead Cap: $1.0M / Cap Savings: $19M
2022 - Salary: $23.5M / Prorated Bonus: $500K / Roster Bonus: $0 / Cap Hit: $24M / Dead Cap: $500K / Cap Savings: $23.5M

If you sort through all the contractual junk this is a 2 year deal worth $27.5M. After that you pay as you go with a likely restructure before the 2021 season.  

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Bolstad79" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

FA QBs 

49'ers
Buffalo
Ny Jets
Cleveland
Jax
Chargers
Arizona
Green Bay
Minnesota
Washington

Draftable  QB s

Wow, Denver just an oversight there? Not sure any team needs a QB more than they do. I'd agree that Jimmy G won't see the market and I doubt Rodgers will either. Hopefully Teddy won't, but if he does, it would be him and Cousins getting the big pay days. Teddy's knee question would drop his value, but the fact that he's only 25 compared to Cousins at 30 would boost it. Bah...it's all moot. I would be absolutely gobsmacked if Teddy Bridgewater were anywhere but Minnesota next season. 

The only way that could happen, short of a knee complication, is if this team decided that Case Keenum were its future. And I think even the most fanatical Keenum fan would admit that's not very likely. 

I absolutely forgot about Denver, I wonder if Denver would go hard on Rodgers if he opted out of his contract. They only have 22 million in space but teams can make space.

Giants are another team that could be looking for a QB with a new HC.  They could draft a AN sign a Bridge QB and trade Eli.

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Bolstad79" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

FA QBs 

49'ers
Buffalo
Ny Jets
Cleveland
Jax
Chargers
Arizona
Green Bay
Minnesota
Washington

Draftable  QB s

I absolutely forgot about Denver, I wonder if Denver would go hard on Rodgers if he opted out of his contract. They only have 22 million in space but teams can make space.

Giants are another team that could be looking for a QB with a new HC.  They could draft a AN sign a Bridge QB and trade Eli.
Rodgers would make Denver an instant contender

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:

Mike Glennon calling in. He's on hold but wants to speak with you.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

You don't think teams want to avoid that scenario.  Glennon is the perfect example of why you make real sure the guy can play and is healthy before you give him money.  But hey I could be wrong.

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
@"FSUVike" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

You don't think teams want to avoid that scenario.  Glennon is the perfect example of why you make real sure the guy can play and is healthy before you give him money.  But hey I could be wrong.
Glennon was also nowhere near the talent or prospect that Teddy is. I have a feeling you're going to be floored by the amount of money Teddy gets, especially if he's able to show that he's past the knee. That's why it's important—not just for the Vikings, but for Teddy, too—to get him into a game this season. 

does anybody else see this situation getting shitty for the Vikes?

Teddy gets pissy because in his mind he is the better QB,  but Case keeps winning so Teddy doesnt get his chance and whats to bail in FA.  Although Case keeps winning he never really does enough to make the coaches and front office happy enough to give him a big deal,  but there are teams out there that will so he gets big money waived at him in  FA as well.... so the Vikes are forced to tag one or the other without really being sure of the decision.

as a longtime Vikings fan,  I know this is a great problem to have... but I just cant shake the feeling that it will end up giving me heartburn.