Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still don't get the Cousins hate....
One ring cures everything...Go re-read the tale of John Elway. 

Some more Cousins facts...

* No QB in the NFL has a higher passer rating from a clean pocket the last two years than Kirk Cousins. 

* Since joining the Vikings, Cousins ranks 5th in the NFL in TD passes and 7th best passer rating. 

* Flavor of the month, Josh Allen had 21 dropped interceptions in 2020, tying Jameis Winston's 2019 epic mark. Six of Cousins' interceptions last year were either tips, deflections or hail marries. Most in the NFL. 

* List of NFL QBs with a 90+ passer rating every season since 2015. Brees, Cousins, Rodgers and Wilson

* Highest completion percentage in NFL history: 1. DeShaun Watson (67.9), Drew Brees (67.7), KIrk Cousins (67.0). Especially impressive considering....

...Cousins ranks 1st in the NFL the last six seasons in the amount of 25+ yard passes attempted (180). He ranks 1st in completions of those passes. His 63% of on-target deep passes led the NFL in 2020.

* Games missed due to injury since becoming a starter in 2015: ZERO. You'd think a team with a history of Teddy, Bradford, Daunte, etc would appreciate that more. 

Is he elite? What's elite? Is he top 5? Yeah, in some things, like deep ball accuracy, for sure. Top 10 in others. And middle of the pack in a few others. But I'm happy we have him leading this roster in '21 and not the next Tua, Trubisky, Haskins, Rosen, Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, etc., etc. 

I think more people hate the contract. Yeah I know, it could be worse and he was the best available. The front office agreed to the contract. I think the extension pissed some people off. It is what it is. He is not the worst and not the best. Not elite but next tier. We'll see how it goes with the OL and defense. I don't hate him. I am hoping for success but there are still other things that need to come together as well. 

Why is Cousins the only player on the roster that is held accountable?  Why is every loss placed on his shoulders and is considered a failure?  Isn't football still considered a team sport?  You win as a team or you lose as a team.
Lots of the opinions regarding Cousins is simply he wasn't their choice as quarterback and not warranted the guaranteed contract.  Since most fans know more about football that the coaches, scouts and the organization, they should have been the ones choosing the quarterback.
Cousins with a good surrounding cast can do much better than previous years.  The organization has to some extent, retooled the defense, upgraded both offensive and defensive lines and have added more speed to the overall team. 
I'm ready to see a better up-coming season with a playoff run to it...

Couldn't agree more.  Cousins doesn't deserve the $hitstorm he gets.
He's a damn good QB, and we are fortunate to have him.

We will like 12 games last year if our defense holds our opposition to under 30 points.

His CONTRACT however.....is like a kick in the pills

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Couldn't agree more.  Cousins doesn't deserve the $hitstorm he gets.
He's a damn good QB, and we are fortunate to have him.

We will like 12 games last year if our defense holds our opposition to under 30 points.

His CONTRACT however.....is like a kick in the pills
Interesting thing about that contract is that the one we gave him back in 2018--the one that everyone screamed about, the one that made him the highest paid player in NFL history (for about 5 minutes)--would rank somewhere in the middle of the pack right now among QBs.

And even with his extension, his average per year ranks 7th and his guaranteed money ranks 9th.

Just not so sure that's so far out of line with where he ranks in terms of performance.

The Cousins hate is one of the more inexplicable things of the past few years. 

Where does everyone see the
"Cousins hate" posts?   Maybe I missed them, but I haven't seen any recently. 

I want him to do well, but I still don't expect him to be this great leader.  His record as a starter is average, and he's never lead a team deep
into the playoffs, so fans question if he's a franchise QB or not.  It's
not like he's a rising young QB that just needs a few seasons under his belt to
bloom into greatness.

To me Cousins is exactly what we see. 
He can make some awesome throws, but really doesn't strike fear to opposing
defenses.  Before he was a Viking, I never worried about KC when the Vikes played
Washington.  I think he's better now, but I certainly don't feel like the
Vikes have an "elite" QB that other teams fear. 

Surround him with a great OL, RB, WRs, TEs, then throw in a top 10 D, and then let’s see what happens.  He should get the
Vikes their money's worth then, right?

[Image: tenor.gif]

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Where does everyone see the
"Cousins hate" posts?   Maybe I missed them, but I haven't seen any recently. 

I want him to do well, but I still don't expect him to be this great leader.  His record as a starter is average, and he's never lead a team deep
into the playoffs, so fans question if he's a franchise QB or not.  It's
not like he's a rising young QB that just needs a few seasons under his belt to
bloom into greatness.

To me Cousins is exactly what we see. 
He can make some awesome throws, but really doesn't strike fear to opposing
defenses.  Before he was a Viking, I never worried about KC when the Vikes played
Washington.  I think he's better now, but I certainly don't feel like the
Vikes have an "elite" QB that other teams fear. 

Surround him with a great OL, RB, WRs, TEs, then throw in a top 10 D, and then let’s see what happens.  He should get the
Vikes their money's worth then, right?
This. 

Might be different if I lived in the twin cities and listened to sports radio every day, then maybe I’d be exposed to more of Kirk’s haters? Sure a lot of people wish he was even better, but I don’t hear anyone saying he sucks.