Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading down the stretch.....
(04-21-2024, 08:12 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Supa, it sounds like you're making an argument to extend the competitive rebuild...

Lol you know Im not a fan, but adding two players at positions of need probably goes a lot farther than blowing our wads on a rookie quarterback who probably sits at least half, if not the entire season...then you just hope that guy pans out.

From today's GBN on the 2025 QB group;

Peeking ahead to the 2025 QB class … With all the focus on the QBs with the 2024 draft now just over 72 hours away, we’ve had a number of correspondents ask about the prospects at the position for the 2025 draft just in case their particular team misses out this year. Again, its a year away so we don’t want to get too far out over our skies, but a preliminary look at next year’s QB class suggests that it likely won’t be quite as good as this year’s group; however, it also won’t be the wasteland some folks have been predicting. Indeed, Colorado’s Shedeur Sanders was talked about as being very much in the mix to be one of the first three QBs off this year before he announced he was returning to school, while Quinn Ewers of Texas also figured prominently in the first-round discussion before he too opted to return to school. At the same time time, Carson Beck of Georgia looks to be on the same trajectory of JJ McCarthy this year, while Alabama’s Jalen Milroe also has tons to physical talent and just needs to polish up some of the technical elements of his game. Then there’s the small army of solid veteran college QBs that surprisingly chose to give college another year including Cam Ward (now at Miami). Cam Rising (Utah), Riley Leonard (Notre Dame), Will Howard (Ohio State), Tyler Van Dyke (Wisconsin), DJ Uiagalelei (Florida State), Will Rogers (Washington), KJ Jefferson (UCF) and Grayson McCall (NC State). Meanwhile, any team looking for a sleeper at the position will surely want to check out 6-6 Western Kentucky gunslinger TJ Finley, while former MAC star Kurtis Rourke will get a chance on the Big Ten stage this fall at Indiana. Here’s our very preliminary ranking of the QBs for 2025, again with the proviso much will change between now and then.

(04-22-2024, 11:38 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: From today's GBN on the 2025 QB group;

Peeking ahead to the 2025 QB class … With all the focus on the QBs with the 2024 draft now just over 72 hours away, we’ve had a number of correspondents ask about the prospects at the position for the 2025 draft just in case their particular team misses out this year. Again, its a year away so we don’t want to get too far out over our skies, but a preliminary look at next year’s QB class suggests that it likely won’t be quite as good as this year’s group; however, it also won’t be the wasteland some folks have been predicting. Indeed, Colorado’s Shedeur Sanders was talked about as being very much in the mix to be one of the first three QBs off this year before he announced he was returning to school, while Quinn Ewers of Texas also figured prominently in the first-round discussion before he too opted to return to school. At the same time time, Carson Beck of Georgia looks to be on the same trajectory of JJ McCarthy this year, while Alabama’s Jalen Milroe also has tons to physical talent and just needs to polish up some of the technical elements of his game. Then there’s the small army of solid veteran college QBs that surprisingly chose to give college another year including Cam Ward (now at Miami). Cam Rising (Utah), Riley Leonard (Notre Dame), Will Howard (Ohio State), Tyler Van Dyke (Wisconsin), DJ Uiagalelei (Florida State), Will Rogers (Washington), KJ Jefferson (UCF) and Grayson McCall (NC State). Meanwhile, any team looking for a sleeper at the position will surely want to check out 6-6 Western Kentucky gunslinger TJ Finley, while former MAC star Kurtis Rourke will get a chance on the Big Ten stage this fall at Indiana. Here’s our very preliminary ranking of the QBs for 2025, again with the proviso much will change between now and then.

Waiting for next year to draft a QB would be a disaster for Minnesota. Straight up.

(04-22-2024, 12:37 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Waiting for next year to draft a QB would be a disaster for Minnesota. Straight up.

Maybe, but would it be worse to give up a ton of picks to move up and take a swing on a guy that busts (likely), further compounding our misery? The Vikings need no further evidence of that then the guy who is our likely starter this season regardless, Sam Darnold.

I just don't think we are very well positioned this year to take one of those top 4 prospects unless we go ahead and reach on Penix or Nix. There's no way I'd give up three 1st round picks for McCarthy when next years 1st round pick could be a very high selection, maybe #1 overall. Let's not be next years version of the Carolina Panthers. They have to play this smart and hedge their bets.

(04-22-2024, 01:16 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: Maybe, but would it be worse to give up a ton of picks to move up and take a swing on a guy that busts (likely), further compounding our misery? The Vikings need no further evidence of that then the guy who is our likely starter this season regardless, Sam Darnold.

I just don't think we are very well positioned this year to take one of those top 4 prospects unless we go ahead and reach on Penix or Nix. There's no way I'd give up three 1st round picks for McCarthy when next years 1st round pick could be a very high selection, maybe #1 overall. Let's not be next years version of the Carolina Panthers. They have to play this smart and hedge their bets.

You're only moving up for a difference maker, every pick in the NFL Draft is a swing. You have to try and get something better than mediocre at QB. All of you that complained about Kirk Cousins, that was your mantra: Nix or Penix is better than Cousins? You want better so you swing for Maye or JJM. I just don't think teams want to trade down in the first 4 picks.

(04-22-2024, 01:43 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: You're only moving up for a difference maker, every pick in the NFL Draft is a swing. You have to try and get something better than mediocre at QB. All of you that complained about Kirk Cousins, that was your mantra: Nix or Penix is better than Cousins? You want better so you swing for Maye or JJM. I just don't think teams want to trade down in the first 4 picks.

You can try, but how much are you willing to gamble to take that try? I think that's the big question. I'm saying that giving up 3 first round picks to move up for the 4th rated QB in this draft is stupid, especially considering the bust rate on QB's and that we don't even know how high our first round pick will be next season if it's included in that package. If a quarterback falls in our laps, great, or if we move up slightly where it won't cost us a bounty to do so, great. I have no problem if they do that. It's gutting our drafts this year and next year to take that swing is where I have the problem.

(04-22-2024, 03:35 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: You can try, but how much are you willing to gamble to take that try? I think that's the big question. I'm saying that giving up 3 first round picks to move up for the 4th rated QB in this draft is stupid, especially considering the bust rate on QB's and that we don't even know how high our first round pick will be next season if it's included in that package. If a quarterback falls in our laps, great, or if we move up slightly where it won't cost us a bounty to do so, great. I have no problem if they do that. It's gutting our drafts this year and next year to take that swing is where I have the problem.

It's a crap shoot. But so long as this roll of the dice only costs us future rolls of the dice, I'm good with it.

(04-22-2024, 03:35 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: You can try, but how much are you willing to gamble to take that try? I think that's the big question. I'm saying that giving up 3 first round picks to move up for the 4th rated QB in this draft is stupid, especially considering the bust rate on QB's and that we don't even know how high our first round pick will be next season if it's included in that package. If a quarterback falls in our laps, great, or if we move up slightly where it won't cost us a bounty to do so, great. I have no problem if they do that. It's gutting our drafts this year and next year to take that swing is where I have the problem.

I don't necessarily disagree. I also think Penix might have more upside than Cousins, with a better arm and more mobility. The bust rate on QBs can't be discounted, it would be a big risk. But I honestly don't even think its going to happen....for anyone trying to trade up before #5.