Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer in the market for Gold Bond medicated powder
Quote: @StickyBun said:
Zimmer feels he and the team operate better if they are motivated by things....things like purported disrespect by the media, etc. To me, that's goofy because it's manufactured. How many times can you go to that well and get water?

You've got the team, its healthy and its a BIG year to prove something. The NFC is loaded, but there are no excuses. 
Interestingly enough, the Patriots are motivated by the same things.  But what would THEY know about winning?
EDIT: That was NOT a shot at you, Sticky.  Just wanted to make that clear.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Michael Jordan. Dude would literally invent reasons to put a chip on his shoulder. Let the criticism of the GOAT begin.
Yep. The mind is a powerful thing. I did the same thing. Now I wasn't QUITE as good as Jordan, but I once played two of my friends a game of 21. To make it interesting, and because I'm an asshole, I bet them (nothing) that I would beat them 21 to 0 to 0, which is pretty freaking impossible. It ended 21 to 0 to 0. The fact that I manufactured that motivation? Irrelevant. 

Heard about Larry Bird doing this, too. He'd go past the opposing bench and tell them he was going to put up some ridiculous numbers against them, and damned if he didn't go out and do it.

Steven R Covey, who I think is mostly a joke, used to teach this stuff. The whole 7 habits thing... "If you want to become enthusiastic, ACT enthusiastic." There's something to the idea of "intentioning," of manufacturing motivation. It makes you work harder. 

Been working with my son on his pitching for several years. We got his motion down pretty tight, but seriously, for two years we'd been struggling with consistency and speed. He was OK, but he just couldn't get to the next level. One day it dawned on me. "I want you to try pitching with swagger," I told him. Invent a reason to be cocky. Pitch with an attitude. Let's see what happens.  Holy crap, the difference that made was shocking. It was like two different pitchers. 

Lol so now its a bad thing to be motivated. Go get them Zim!!!

Sigh. My point is lost, that's fine.

Just. Win. Games. I'm beyond the talking, the supposed motivation and all the other shit. Its just another story. Win and he's a genius. 

p.s. He does have a cute dog. 

Cruex would have worked too...but, you know what they say about imitation...

Wink

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@StickyBun said:
Zimmer feels he and the team operate better if they are motivated by things....things like purported disrespect by the media, etc. To me, that's goofy because it's manufactured. How many times can you go to that well and get water?

You've got the team, its healthy and its a BIG year to prove something. The NFC is loaded, but there are no excuses. 
Denny Green was the king of using this as a motivator for his teams.
I loved Denny. 8 out of the 10 years he was a Viking's coach, they had a winning regular season record. But went 4-8 in the playoffs. Zimmer has had a winning record in 3 out of 6 years, 1-2 in the playoffs. I think both are good coaches, but eventually you need to win games in the playoffs. Big year for the Vikings this season.
Are you counting this year as a +.500 season??

2014 7 wins
2015 11 wins
2016 8 wins
2017 13 wins
2018 8 wins

2 years with more than 8 wins out of 5 seasons

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@StickyBun said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@StickyBun said:

I loved Denny. 8 out of the 10 years he was a Viking's coach, they had a winning regular season record. But went 4-8 in the playoffs. Zimmer has had a winning record in 3 out of 6 years, 1-2 in the playoffs. I think both are good coaches, but eventually you need to win games in the playoffs. Big year for the Vikings this season.

2014 7 wins
2015 11 wins
2016 8 wins
2017 13 wins
2018 8 wins

He has a winning record in 3 out of 5 seasons...  we went 8-7-1 last year.  The two seasons we didn't have a winning record was Teddy's rookie year (and Zimmer's first year as HC) and the year Teddy's leg fell off a week before the season.

Zimmer is a good coach who just needs a little more luck in the QB and RB department.  Hopefully Cousins plays well and Dalvin balls out like he is capable of...

Could be a special season.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@holmanjp said:
@StickyBun said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@StickyBun said:

2014 7 wins
2015 11 wins
2016 8 wins
2017 13 wins
2018 8 wins

He has a winning record in 3 out of 5 seasons...  we went 8-7-1 last year.  The two seasons we didn't have a winning record was Teddy's rookie year (and Zimmer's first year as HC) and the year Teddy's leg fell off a week before the season.

Zimmer is a good coach who just needs a little more luck in the QB and RB department.  Hopefully Cousins plays well and Dalvin balls out like he is capable of...

Ok so a tie isn't a loss. It however is not a win. They won 8 games.

They lost by 17 points to a team they were favored to beat by 17 
They lost to a Bears team with nothing to play for, hell they should have forfeited to Mn
then turned around and beat them in the playoffs.

Zim did have luck in the QB department (2017) he tried to do everything in his power to start a different QB

Zim maybe has no clue about QB's Source: Vikings never gave Kyle Sloter a chance to win the No. 2 QB job

Made up his mind before the season, then made up stories to make it look like Kyle was not the better #2 option.

I'll say this about Mikey : For a guy that came into this job with his mantra of "Don't tell me about the labor, show me the baby", he sure has developed a proclivity for, well, whining about the LABOR.

We get it, Zimmer.....being a professional coach or player is HARD. THAT's why your annual salaries have 6 ZEROS.

NOBODY cares if you feel disrespected or overlooked.....STFU and just win, and by that I mean win playoff games, you ol' 1-eyed coot! 1 playoff win in 5 years is 20%, Mike. That's TERRIBLE. And we all know that YOU know your (regular season) winning percentages, right? You conveniently left out the playoffs during your rant earlier this week, dintcha?

Don't shit the bed in the home opener, Zim. Your boss is a freaking ninja assassin when it comes to finding scapegoats to save his own ass. You are squarely in his target sight, and his finger is on the trigger. 

Quote: @holmanjp said:
@Wetlander said:
@holmanjp said:
@StickyBun said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@StickyBun said:

2014 7 wins
2015 11 wins
2016 8 wins
2017 13 wins
2018 8 wins

Ok so a tie isn't a loss. It however is not a win. They won 8 games.

They lost by 17 points to a team they were favored to beat by 17 
They lost to a Bears team with nothing to play for, hell they should have forfeited to Mn
then turned around and beat them in the playoffs.

Zim did have luck in the QB department (2017) he tried to do everything in his power to start a different QB

Zim maybe has no clue about QB's Source: Vikings never gave Kyle Sloter a chance to win the No. 2 QB job

Made up his mind before the season, then made up stories to make it look like Kyle was not the better #2 option.
Who is the source?  Sloter's parents?

From what I've heard, he was first one to leave after practice and didn't put in any extra time like the other QBs did.  You'd think a guy who was just learning the position without much college experience would want to soak up as much information from veteran QBs and coaches as he could...  but that wasn't the case.