Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer in the market for Gold Bond medicated powder

That seems like a questionable motivation.  What if no one says you're "wrong" and therefore you don't have anything to "prove"?  Do you then have an 8-7-1 season?   The motivation should simply be winning and being a success, not some random noise from some random human being that may not even have happened.  'Oh a few media guys said something, now I'm motivated!'   Really?   What were you before that?

There is so much NFL media social and otherwise these days that this just seems like a figment of his imagination, as if it matters what any media outlet or person allegedly says.   

Zimmer feels he and the team operate better if they are motivated by things....things like purported disrespect by the media, etc. To me, that's goofy because it's manufactured. How many times can you go to that well and get water?

You've got the team, its healthy and its a BIG year to prove something. The NFC is loaded, but there are no excuses. 

Zimmers stock is a bit down right now,  but the dude is no more driven now than before he had the job.  He is a professional in his work ethic and IMO isnt the kind to find much motivation in what people say. 

There isn't likely a more self confident individual in the game.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Zimmer feels he and the team operate better if they are motivated by things....things like purported disrespect by the media, etc. To me, that's goofy because it's manufactured. How many times can you go to that well and get water?

You've got the team, its healthy and its a BIG year to prove something. The NFC is loaded, but there are no excuses. 
Denny Green was the king of using this as a motivator for his teams.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@StickyBun said:

Denny Green was the king of using this as a motivator for his teams.
I loved Denny. 8 out of the 10 years he was a Viking's coach, they had a winning regular season record. But went 4-8 in the playoffs. Zimmer has had a winning record in 3 out of 6 years, 1-2 in the playoffs. I think both are good coaches, but eventually you need to win games in the playoffs. Big year for the Vikings this season.

Quote: @comet52 said:
That seems like a questionable motivation.  What if no one says you're "wrong" and therefore you don't have anything to "prove"?  Do you then have an 8-7-1 season?   The motivation should simply be winning and being a success, not some random noise from some random human being that may not even have happened.  'Oh a few media guys said something, now I'm motivated!'   Really?   What were you before that?

There is so much NFL media social and otherwise these days that this just seems like a figment of his imagination, as if it matters what any media outlet or person allegedly says.   
Who gives a shit if it's questionable? Why can't spite be a motivator? Whatever gets him fired up.

Michael Jordan. Dude would literally invent reasons to put a chip on his shoulder. Let the criticism of the GOAT begin.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Michael Jordan. Dude would literally invent reasons to put a chip on his shoulder. Let the criticism of the GOAT begin.
Its basketball. He's a player, not a coach. Its not anywhere near apples for apples. Oh, he also was supremely talented and the best player in NBA history. This is Mike Zimmer, NFL head coach. His personal motivation isn't going to translate into the domination that Jordan's motivation did into points, rebounds, work ethic, etc. unto his teammates. 

Z needs to do what Z needs to do, but the wins have to come this year. That's all I'm sayin'. 

"It was like he held onto it from the last game, and it was like waiting for our next meeting to start months later," Smith said. "That's just how he's wired."

That's human nature. We all need motivation and discipline to get things done. Find your focus and give it 100%. Whatever works. Everyone is motivated by different things. In addition to the motivation, you have to have the discipline to get after it. Discipline sustains you if motivation wanes. And vice versa. If you have no discipline or motivation, you are fucked.