Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E.Griffen
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
I've barely noticed Griff since his return.  If not a restructure, he might get released, if it makes more sense financially.
I think they will give him every chance to restructure given his performance history and recent health scare.  it would like absolutely shitty if the team just cut him without giving him the chance to restructure... so from what we know about spielman and loyalty to veteran players.... Ev better get his house on the market I guess.
Name other players that Rick.shafted comtract-wise. 
BRob off the top of my head
And? You've done a bang up job of villifying Rick over that but act like it's his M.O. What are the other examples?

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
I've barely noticed Griff since his return.  If not a restructure, he might get released, if it makes more sense financially.
I think they will give him every chance to restructure given his performance history and recent health scare.  it would like absolutely shitty if the team just cut him without giving him the chance to restructure... so from what we know about spielman and loyalty to veteran players.... Ev better get his house on the market I guess.
And? You've done a bang up job of villifying Rick over that but act like it's his M.O. What are the other examples?
a lot of fans werent to happy with how he handled Winfield,  I am sure there are some other examples if I really wanted to go back through year by year but those are 2 off the top of my head.  and aside from paying out allens contract and ADs,  what do we have to suggest that he is a stand up guy when it comes to paying out veteran deals?  He beat Greenway down his last 2 years IIRC as well.  Once he had made it clear that he was intent on finishing his career as a  Viking he started to hold his contract hostage... I didnt like it then and I really didnt like it the last 2 years with BRob,  especially when he then turned around and cut BRob inpsite of the coaches wanting him on the roster.

@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:
a lot of fans werent to happy with how he handled Winfield,  I am sure there are some other examples if I really wanted to go back through year by year but those are 2 off the top of my head.  and aside from paying out allens contract and ADs,  what do we have to suggest that he is a stand up guy when it comes to paying out veteran deals?  He beat Greenway down his last 2 years IIRC as well.  Once he had made it clear that he was intent on finishing his career as a  Viking he started to hold his contract hostage... I didnt like it then and I really didnt like it the last 2 years with BRob,  especially when he then turned around and cut BRob inpsite of the coaches wanting him on the roster.
I forget, was he the sole decision maker during Winfield's declining days?

And frankly, Greenway had become a liability, especially in coverage, the year before he retired.

The NFL is a ruthless, cutthroat business. So is personnel management. Rick made mistakes with continuing to pay Jared and AD for rapidly declining performance. If he's done a 180 and started cutting vets back too early, which we've actually only seen with BRob so far, so be it. Much rather that happen than saddling the team with overpriced, under performing vets.

And again, this isn't a dig at BRob. I might have been the 1st person on Purple Thoughts to argue that Brian's QB Pressures far outweighed Ray's occasional sack and that he should have been a Starter far earlier in his career.

But this is a single example that you endlessly use to paint it as Business as Usual as if Rick treats every vet this way when the evidence is to the contrary.

@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:

And frankly, Greenway had become a liability, especially in coverage, the year before he retired.

The NFL is a ruthless, cutthroat business. So is personnel management. Rick made mistakes with continuing to pay Jared and AD for rapidly declining performance. If he's done a 180 and started cutting vets back too early, which we've actually only seen with BRob so far, so be it. Much rather that happen than saddling the team with overpriced, under performing vets.

And again, this isn't a dig at BRob. I might have been the 1st person on Purple Thoughts to argue that Brian's QB Pressures far outweighed Ray's occasional sack and that he should have been a Starter far earlier in his career.

But this is a single example that you endlessly use to paint it as Business as Usual as if Rick treats every vet this way when the evidence is to the contrary.
i think "endlessly" is a bit excessive,  when it comes to these matters yes,  but I hardly bring it up in every thread pertaining to Rick,  I give him credit where its due, and will ding him when he is deserving and the way he has handled some of the vets recently,  Greenway and BRob,  who had signed very team friendly deals to stay here and then to turn around and use their generosity and loyalty against them... thats bush league IMO and I will call it out when its appropriate... so in a thread discussing a veteran who is declining and due to make major money... I think its fair to suggest that Ricks recent actions may indicate that Griff should consult a realtor.   I dont follow every contract,  but its pretty standard of Rick to be hitting up the older players for pay cuts regardless of whether their money is out of line for their performance or not.  he does it because he knows that its harder for a veteran with family to tell him to pack it up his ass and hit FA and move his life to a different city for the last couple years of their career.  I believe in loyalty and when I dont see it... it pisses me off.  

@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@FSUVike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@HappyViking said:

i think "endlessly" is a bit excessive,  when it comes to these matters yes,  but I hardly bring it up in every thread pertaining to Rick,  I give him credit where its due, and will ding him when he is deserving and the way he has handled some of the vets recently,  Greenway and BRob,  who had signed very team friendly deals to stay here and then to turn around and use their generosity and loyalty against them... thats bush league IMO and I will call it out when its appropriate... so in a thread discussing a veteran who is declining and due to make major money... I think its fair to suggest that Ricks recent actions may indicate that Griff should consult a realtor.   I dont follow every contract,  but its pretty standard of Rick to be hitting up the older players for pay cuts regardless of whether their money is out of line for their performance or not.  he does it because he knows that its harder for a veteran with family to tell him to pack it up his ass and hit FA and move his life to a different city for the last couple years of their career.  I believe in loyalty and when I dont see it... it pisses me off.  
The handling of BRob was cold. I defended Rick somewhat on the Winfield handling.  AW had held out and was often absent in the offseason.  So he made his own bed in some ways.  BRob was nothing but loyal. A team leader, a loyal vet that wanted nothing more than to bring the championship to Viking fans.  He was making a pittance compared to others on the D and got shafted after going through another training camp.
We don't know the whole story, but that was poor handling of a consummate professional.

But that's just the thing, we don't know the whole story. We know a very passionate father's side as communicated by his son.

To be perfectly frank, if Pops wasn't a valued contributor I think a lot of you would be less outraged.

How it was handled matters. Absolutely. And we only know one side. But let's say that is the whole story. I work with really great professionals that don't all get along.

Isn't it possible that Rick and BRob just didn't see eye to eye? Or maybe get along as human beings? Could it be that Rick was told that the Coaches felt that Weatherly was deserving a lot more snaps AFTER he asked for the pay cut and even at that reduced rate he couldn't justify keeping BRob to play a greatly reduced role?

Look at Newman. Treated so poorly as a veteran he decided he wanted t be on the coaching staff.

And I'll reiterate that Greenie had fallen off a cliff several years before he finally retired. You can't get paid like you're still performing when you're not. So I hardly think he counts as part of this false narrative that Rick is out to screw over veteran players.

But that's just the thing, we don't know the whole story. We know a very passionate father's side as communicated by his son.

To be perfectly frank, if Pops wasn't a valued contributor I think a lot of you would be less outraged.

How it was handled matters. Absolutely. And we only know one side. But let's say that is the whole story. I work with really great professionals that don't all get along.

Isn't it possible that Rick and BRob just didn't see eye to eye? Or maybe get along as human beings? Could it be that Rick was told that the Coaches felt that Weatherly was deserving a lot more snaps AFTER he asked for the pay cut and even at that reduced rate he couldn't justify keeping BRob to play a greatly reduced role?

Look at Newman. Treated so poorly as a veteran he decided he wanted t be on the coaching staff.

And I'll reiterate that Greenie had fallen off a cliff several years before he finally retired. You can't get paid like you're still performing when you're not. So I hardly think he counts as part of this false narrative that Rick is out to screw over veteran players.
Newman wasn't asked for a pay cut.  He signed on for a 1 year deal and is 40?  Apples and oranges.  Making a guy take a pay cut 2 years in a row when all he wants is to bring the team a championship, is a locker room favorite, entertaining and still a hellagood player.  Then cutting him after going thru all offseason. Vets make no bones about not liking camp.  It is hard work and tough on the bodies. 

I like BRob because he cared about the team.  Seeing him after the Walsh miss was awful.  Seeing him after the Philly debacle was awful.  Not many players come across as genuine like he did.  Having Pops was a big bonus.  But it wasn't why I was pissed about the handling of BRob.  His interactions with the fans, his shoutouts to the fan forums back in the early days of his career.  IMO Rick was afraid of how popular Brian had become.  Just an opinion, but his personality and leadership was exactly what the team needed, not what needed to be cut.
All the players that haven't contributed a bit this year, and paying Iloka big bucks for no return.  Not to mention we had to get lucky Seattle was dumb enough to release Tom Johnson.  Yeah, there was room for a Vet like BRob.

Grenway had lost a step but fallen off a cliff...hardly.  he was still playing at a starters level and filled in as such when he was asked to do so...and was doing it for peanuts when the team had the money to spend.

i thought we could not discuss that players injury in this forum ?

was scolded & told too personal & none of our business...

It's only my opinion, but I think our D misses BRob's skills out there. He did a lot of stuff that didn't stack up stats but his intelligence and understanding of Zim's D is unquestioned.
Speaking of another game when we saw his face after it was over, how about the Minneapolis Miracle? The guy had tears in his eyes. He wore his heart on his sleeve when he played for our team.