Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Viking Player of All-time
Page, Eller, and Marshall as a kid.  I also loved Tark, Gilliam, Chuck F, Sammy, and Rashad.  Doleman, Millard, Browner, Studwell, AC, CC, Moss, and yes, AD, all come after the heros of my childhood.

Hard to choose one. But my favorite players seem to have been TEs.  Bob Tucker, Joe Senser, Steve Jordan

There are so many to choose from. I love John Randle because he is such an inspiring story. I love that he was so determined to make weight that he wore a chain around his waist. He had incredible speed and was the best trash talker ever. And where he came from to getting into the Hall of Fame is pretty special. He has helped a lot of children through his charity efforts.

I absolutely love Alan Page because his impact is being part of the Purple People Eaters but so much more. He was an amazing player to watch but he is also a remarkable man. He has made a difference in the lives of so many people. The work he has done with his wife is quite extensive and impressive. He is an incredibly brilliant man.

Randall McDaniel is on a whole other level as well. His stance is his signature but it was a thing of beauty to see him shake off defenders like they were nothing. Of course the contributions to the community that he is making with his wife are extraordinary.

Randy Moss is an unbelievably gifted athlete and one of my favorites. A lot of young people went to college on his dime. He was brash and bold but he put butts in the seats and made us rise from them. He was electrifying. He still helps youth in Minnesota.

Brian Robison because of his game but also because of the man he is. He was an awesome player but the ultimate teammate and representative of the team in the community. And I absolutely love the 96 questions segment. I have had fans of other teams say that they watch it. 

Chad Greenway makes the list for me as well. He is such a good guy and he was fun to watch play. He quietly took care of business. He wasn't looking for all the glory, he just did what needed to be done. He worked hard to come back from the ACL in his rookie season. And of course he is a great representative of the team in the community. He continues to give back.

There are so many more but these are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Randall McDaniel deserves consideration. But for me it was Chuck Foreman.

Quote: @Waterboy said:
I just read a book on the 50 greatest Vikings of all time.  Must say after a lot of deliberation, John Randle.  Loved the guys demeanor on the field, and the person he seems to be off the field.  Nobody psyched me up as much.   Interested to hear other choices and why.
Randle and Jake Reed.  Nobody can get a guy excited for football like watching Johnny.  HOF from wearing chains and padlock to weigh enough so he could make the team.
Always loved Jake as well.  No real reason other than he was dang good.  Liked his demeanor as well.  And with that I would add the current era favorite of BRob.  His 96 Questions was a great look into the team and how the guys had fun.  "at the end of the day", he has to be there as well.

Not my all-time favorite but I really enjoyed watching Ed McDaniel so I thought I'd throw his name out there.  He played a lot of games and had a lot of tackles for the team.

I just love hearing the range of players.  By position, I'd break it down this way.

QB - Fran with honorable mention to Tommy Kramer for his ability to play better under the influence than any player of his time.
WR - Tie between Randy Moss and Ahmad Rashad.
TE - Gotta go with Stu Voigt.  Not sure why, but I gotta go with him.
T - Holding no. 73 Ron Yary.
C - Mick Tingelhoff
G - Randall McDaniel - Simply the best ever.

KOR - Buster Rhymes - Big and Fast and knew how to let the bullets fly (at least in college)
PR - Marcus Sherels - He's been so good for so long
K - Fred Cox - All soccer style kickers were eliminated from consideration
P - Mitch Berger - the Snickers kicker.

DL - Randle and then Page.  But loved Eller, Doleman, and Allen.
LB - This ones tough.  Let's go with Matt Blair, even though he's an Iowa State alum I believe.
CB - Xavier Rhodes - Weakest overall position for the Vikes in their history
S - Paul Krause followed closely by Joey Browner

One thing about Tarkenton I forgot....

After the Push off game, to hear his father had died.....
I was a Tarkenton, Vikings fan for life.

Lots to choose from, but easy one for me. John Randle. Hands down. 

Fun topic

Alan Page

All time roster/depth chart

QB Tarkenton
Culpepper
Moon

HB Chuck Foreman
Adrian Peterson
Ted Brown
Terry Allen

FB Bill Bull Brown

WR. Cris Carter