Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So....is the team missing Anthony Barr?
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@HappyViking said:
@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
right now we are projected to have about 11 million in cap space for next year... the rookies will likely take about what.... 5 million or so of that?   that really doesnt leave much with these guys all to become free agents.   cutting Remmers and Dejo would get us about 10million between the 2,  Waynes is set to make about 9 million on his 5th year tender,  but I dont see that number coming down if they try and extend him.   Everson is set to make about 12 million,  maybe he would redo his deal for less but I kind of doubt it since he has so many years left on that deal and hasnt really gotten to his big number years yet.   

Good analysis, though one thing you didn't mention about Griffen: his contract is structured so his Dead Cap drops to only $1.2M after this year. If the Vikings waive him before the 3rd day of the league year, we would regain over $10M of cap for 2019. Cut Griffen, Remmers, and Sendejo, and now they have $31M open, about $26M after rookies. That's decent enough to possibly get 2 of Barr, Richardson, or a premier offensive lineman.
Can we get by without Griffen? Do they look like a-holes if they waive a guy who just had serious life issues? Does team management care?

Why cut Griff?  He's way more valuable and better than Barr.  It's not even close.

Fair point - but I asked for 2 reasons:
1. Jimmy listed Griffen in his cap analysis.
2. I saw his guaranteed money (dead cap) suddenly drops precipitously after this year. Sometimes that tells how long a team REALLY plans to keep paying someone within an apparently-long contract. Team has played without him most of this season to date, Weatherly has shown some promise...would you put it past Spielman to value cap space more than Griffen??

And FWIW I'm in the camp that thinks they will let Barr leave, so the real question could be 31-yo Griffen vs. 28-yo Richardson.
I guess if Griff has a down year the rest of the way, then the team might rethink his leadership role.  If he continues to improve on what he did on Sunday, and he's doing Ok off the field, then for sure I'd be surprised if they let him walk.  Griff can play the run and get after the QB.  Guys like him aren't easily found.

Richardson still has much to prove too, IMO.  Yeah, he eats up blockers, but I'm not so sure the Vikes are going to break the bank on him.  With 1.5 sacks in nine games, it's not like he's having an all-pro type season. 

I actually think Waynes is more important than both Richardson and Barr.  I agree they let Barr walk away.

for the record... i am not advocating cutting Griff.  I was simply pointing out the contracts that might get cut or eliminated if the team tries to create cap space.

You have to look at the whole picture.

First, Zimmer's Defenses thrive when he has two LBs that can cover. He places a high emphasis on QB pressures and playing sticky man coverage and mixing in zone looks to confuse the hell out of opponents.

The natural counter is to rely on the short to intermediate passing game using RBs, FBs, TEs and Slot WRs. Having two LBs who can cover really stunts that way to counter Mike's D. And he can leave them in on every down.

That's what made the Double A Gap look so tough. If they don't actually blitz they could still get to the edges and stop screens, bubble screens, wheel routes, etc.

But with RBs like Kamara and Hunt and Move TEs like Kelce and Ertz the game is changing. Kendricks is a good Cover LB and Barr used to be better than average. But they can't cover Kamara. Hell, CBs and DBs can't freaking cover the guy.

That means more Big Nickel looks. Which means less snaps for LBs. Especially one who's coverage skills have fallen off a cliff this year (and Kendricks has also regressed).

If you can't cover and aren't blowing up the run or pressuring the QB you are basically Ben Gedeon. Although to be fair Ben has looked better of late in all phases.

Look at Carolina. Still getting it done with Luke K. even though he's visibly lost a step in coverage, and Thomas Davis. A converted Safety who's had a near HOF career.

This is the direction I see Zimmer going. One pure MLB, one hybrid Safety/LB and the improving Gedeon on obvious run downs. That means Barr is expendable.

I've been one of his biggest defenders as what he's done in years past has been crucial to Mike's success without really showing in the stat sheet. But the League is changing and Anthony looks like a pouty fat kid with no money in front of the candy store this year.

So yeah, I'm coming around to the idea that this team can play great Defense without him.

But I will also say the same about Richardson. He's contributing a lot more than his stats show. A lot of what he does is enabling Hunter to go off. He's still going to go for the biggest deal he can get though.

As Jimmy mentioned, this Draft is loaded with Line talent. Both Offense and Defense. And that includes the 3T. A lot of years you see a bunch of good to great NTs but hardly anyone who can consistently get to the QB. This year you have both. And a bunch of good to great DEs. And 3-4 OTs. Plus good Guards.

And you know teams will be all over the Ducks QB, the kid from Missouri, Blue Chippers like LSU's stud CB, LB and Safety. Sprinkle in a WR and RB or two and by the time Minnesota picks they will almost certainly have a chance to pick a Day 1 Starter on the D-Line and hopefully also an option for the O-Line.

You don't need to burn a 1st to replace Barr as he will be succeeded by a different  type of player. But you should be able to replace Sheldon with a 1st Round pick. Maybe even a 2nd. Same with Griff if need be.

Having looked at all those pieces of the big picture I'm actually inclined to re-sign Waynes, as others have mentioned.

the only thing that makes me think maybe let Waynes walk would be Hills development.  With Rhodes locked down for a few more years and Hughes looking like the real deal,  if Hill could fill that out Waynes role and we could draft another cheap developmental corner,  that would free up a lot of space right there as well.  lots of directions this team could go after this year.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
the only thing that makes me think maybe let Waynes walk would be Hills development.  With Rhodes locked down for a few more years and Hughes looking like the real deal,  if Hill could fill that out Waynes role and we could draft another cheap developmental corner,  that would free up a lot of space right there as well.  lots of directions this team could go after this year.
I have been thinking maybe that Rhodes might be a tradeable commodity.  I mean I like Rhodes and everything but his is older but still would fetch alot in trade.  You’re right they can’t keep everyone.  I woukd have never thought such a thing last season but he has not played as well this year.  

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I have been thinking maybe that Rhodes might be a tradeable commodity.  I mean I like Rhodes and everything but his is older but still would fetch alot in trade.  You’re right they can’t keep everyone.  I woukd have never thought such a thing last season but he has not played as well this year.  
Have fun defending that position,  I made that claim all summer and pretty much got roasted each time I brought it up.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Have fun defending that position,  I made that claim all summer and pretty much got roasted each time I brought it up.
I’m sure.  But Waynes has taken another step and then Hughes and Hill have both shined. i probably argued with you over the summer.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Purplewhizz said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I’m sure.  But Waynes has taken another step and then Hughes and Hill have both shined. i probably argued with you over the summer.
One thing,  in defense of Rhodes play,  all pass coverage has slipped this year with the league pushing the officials to be tougher on defensive holding and illegal contact.  These defenders have had to make a major adjustment on how they can cover receivers and affect routes,  it didnt get the talk that the roughing the passer change did but imo it's been a huge part of the increased scoring league wide and is particularly tough for the bigger bodied corners that would often casually bump receiver off their routes.   No corners are playing up to past perfromance IMO.

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@SFVikingFan said:
I'm on the fence regarding Barr.  I love his athleticism, but don't like how he seems to completely disappear for long stretches at a time.  And honestly, I don't think it was the worst thing in the world to have him sit out a couple of games this year.  What better way to really give the coaches and the GM a good look at how this defense would function without him?

Barr has been completely invisible in 2018 let's be honest.  
You must have missed the Rams game?  I saw Barr 5-10 yards behind whoever he was supposed to cover all game. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@SFVikeFan said:
@SFVikingFan said:
I'm on the fence regarding Barr.  I love his athleticism, but don't like how he seems to completely disappear for long stretches at a time.  And honestly, I don't think it was the worst thing in the world to have him sit out a couple of games this year.  What better way to really give the coaches and the GM a good look at how this defense would function without him?

Barr has been completely invisible in 2018 let's be honest.  
You must have missed the Rams game?  I saw Barr 5-10 yards behind whoever he was supposed to cover all game. 
To me that's more on Zimmer and Edwards than Barr. That game was imo the one where Zimmer had to go back to the drawing-board and say "we're getting carved-up schematically" time to change things - a lot. 

I guess I don't see the choice as signing Barr or an elite OL next year. I see the choice as signing Barr or Richardson or Waynes. 

I think FSU is spot on as to how the role of LB has evolved in a short time in the NFL and I've been preaching from the same hymnal as MB - Barr is much more valuable to a 3/4 team than here. 

Big off-season coming-up. But I'm focused on a big show-down with Bears first lol!