Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So....is the team missing Anthony Barr?
Just askin'. 

It is strange.

I notice Wilson running around a ton while watching. Not necessarily making plays but being in the right place at the right time. He isn't blowing doors down with his presence out there, but that game was probably the most fundamentally sound our defense has looked all season.

Two games ago the answer was 'probably.' Yesterday it was 'not really.' - the X factor could have simply been the reemergence of our pass rush. We mansplained what the **** was up to their offensive lineman all game. A great pass rush will make everyone look better.

However, Barr generally is thought to be elite as a pass rushing disruptor. I think we all have visions of Barr running 4.4 through the A gap and causing chaos - we know he leaves something to be desired on run support (taking on and getting off blockers) and he's been lit up in pass coverage a few times this season. ... if we don't need him to get elite pressure on the QB than what is his real value to this defense?

Too soon for me to say for sure. Eventually Wilson and/or Gedeon will get exposed. Based on what I saw from Hunter yesterday (and year-to-date) I'd say they got the order of re-signings right.

Might be that Waynes is next in line over Barr for $$ here?

I think over the long-run we need Waynes and Hughes. Maybe that's not possible with the cap.

I'm on the fence regarding Barr.  I love his athleticism, but don't like how he seems to completely disappear for long stretches at a time.  And honestly, I don't think it was the worst thing in the world to have him sit out a couple of games this year.  What better way to really give the coaches and the GM a good look at how this defense would function without him?

Hard to argue he was missed.  What would you say?  "Yeah, if Barr was playing, we'd have 12 sacks".  B)

Both Wilson and Gedeon made impressive plays in pass protection, stuffing the run, and blitzes.  The next "men" up, filled in admirably. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Hard to argue he was missed.  What would you say?  "Yeah, if Barr was playing, we'd have 12 sacks".  
That made me laugh

I think we're a better team with him and I'm looking forward to getting him healthy for the stretch run. That said, I don't think he's worth what he'll likely command on the market. I think he's worth more to a 3-4 team and I'd be surprised if he stays. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think we're a better team with him and I'm looking forward to getting him healthy for the stretch run. That said, I don't think he's worth what he'll likely command on the market. I think he's worth more to a 3-4 team and I'd be surprised if he stays. 
IMO, this is the right assessment. Agreed. I know Z likes him, but he can't keep every toy on defense as he needs to upgrade that offensive line. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
IMO, this is the right assessment. Agreed. I know Z likes him, but he can't keep every toy on defense as he needs to upgrade that offensive line. 
Sadly, I was thinking about this issue this morning. Unless the cap increases by a ton, I don't see how we can re-sign Barr. He will want at least what Kendricks got - and Kendricks has been less than great this season (thought he played really well yesterday in stretches) - but that money can be much better spent elsewhere.  Barr is good, and at times, very good. But he is not great. Waynes is not great either, but way more valuable than Barr. 
Likewise, if I had to choose between Barr and an elite O-lineman, it would not be a difficult choice.  In fact, I might give Thielen a bump before re-signing Barr to massive contract. I would love to see what Cousins could do with Diggs, Thielen, Cook and as much time to throw as Rodgers, Brees, or Brady.