Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So....is the team missing Anthony Barr?
right now we are projected to have about 11 million in cap space for next year... the rookies will likely take about what.... 5 million or so of that?   that really doesnt leave much with these guys all to become free agents.   cutting Remmers and Dejo would get us about 10million between the 2,  Waynes is set to make about 9 million on his 5th year tender,  but I dont see that number coming down if they try and extend him.   Everson is set to make about 12 million,  maybe he would redo his deal for less but I kind of doubt it since he has so many years left on that deal and hasnt really gotten to his big number years yet.   I dont really see how Barr is even in the discussion with the money we look to have available and the issues our OL has shown.  Maybe if they can draft the OL help and get Easton healthy and resigned on the cheap,  but that still leaves a need at RG and some  better depth across the board.

Sheldon Richardson--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Latavius Murray--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Anthony Barr--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Brett Jones--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Nick Easton--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Dan Bailey--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Marcus Sherels--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Tom Johnson--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Tom Compton--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
George Iloka--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Aldrick Robinson--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Anthony Harris--Transaction--RFA TenderExtend
Trevor Siemian--Transaction--Franchise TagTransition TagExtend
Matt Wile--Transaction--ERFA TenderExtend
Rashod Hill--Transaction--RFA TenderExtend
Cedrick Lang--Transaction--ERFA TenderExtend
C.J. Ham--Transaction--ERFA TenderExtend
Josiah Price--Transaction--ERFA TenderExtend
Chad Beebe--Transaction--ERFA TenderExtend

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think we're a better team with him and I'm looking forward to getting him healthy for the stretch run. That said, I don't think he's worth what he'll likely command on the market. I think he's worth more to a 3-4 team and I'd be surprised if he stays. 
Agreed.  I think the key is, do we have someone (Wilson?) to fill that role.  IF Wilson can fill it, then maybe Barr isn't worth what he will command in salary. 

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
I'm on the fence regarding Barr.  I love his athleticism, but don't like how he seems to completely disappear for long stretches at a time.  And honestly, I don't think it was the worst thing in the world to have him sit out a couple of games this year.  What better way to really give the coaches and the GM a good look at how this defense would function without him?
Long stretches .... half-seasons ...

Barr has been completely invisible in 2018 let's be honest.  

If it comes down to a choice, much rather re-sign Sheldon Richardson and let Barr walk for a high comp pick.

Did we miss Barr yesterday? No I guess not. But Barr is REALLY good.
We're all judging him based on his weeks 1-6 this season, which is fair because that's all we have to go by. But our ENTIRE defense has improved the past 2 games. I think it's reasonable to assume Barr would have improved too.
If he's healthy, I think he'll make a huge impact down the stretch for us.
I'm realistic about our need for OL in the offseason, but if it's possible, I'd love to see the Vikings retain Barr. He's a very good player for us.

I was thinking the same thing as the OP.  I have never been a huge Barr fan and really think he disappears more than not.  I hope they don't go crazy trying to re-sign him.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
right now we are projected to have about 11 million in cap space for next year... the rookies will likely take about what.... 5 million or so of that?   that really doesnt leave much with these guys all to become free agents.   cutting Remmers and Dejo would get us about 10million between the 2,  Waynes is set to make about 9 million on his 5th year tender,  but I dont see that number coming down if they try and extend him.   Everson is set to make about 12 million,  maybe he would redo his deal for less but I kind of doubt it since he has so many years left on that deal and hasnt really gotten to his big number years yet.   

Good analysis, though one thing you didn't mention about Griffen: his contract is structured so his Dead Cap drops to only $1.2M after this year. If the Vikings waive him before the 3rd day of the league year, we would regain over $10M of cap for 2019. Cut Griffen, Remmers, and Sendejo, and now they have $31M open, about $26M after rookies. That's decent enough to possibly get 2 of Barr, Richardson, or a premier offensive lineman.
Can we get by without Griffen? Do they look like a-holes if they waive a guy who just had serious life issues? Does team management care?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:
right now we are projected to have about 11 million in cap space for next year... the rookies will likely take about what.... 5 million or so of that?   that really doesnt leave much with these guys all to become free agents.   cutting Remmers and Dejo would get us about 10million between the 2,  Waynes is set to make about 9 million on his 5th year tender,  but I dont see that number coming down if they try and extend him.   Everson is set to make about 12 million,  maybe he would redo his deal for less but I kind of doubt it since he has so many years left on that deal and hasnt really gotten to his big number years yet.   

Good analysis, though one thing you didn't mention about Griffen: his contract is structured so his Dead Cap drops to only $1.2M after this year. If the Vikings waive him before the 3rd day of the league year, we would regain over $10M of cap for 2019. Cut Griffen, Remmers, and Sendejo, and now they have $31M open, about $26M after rookies. That's decent enough to possibly get 2 of Barr, Richardson, or a premier offensive lineman.
Can we get by without Griffen? Do they look like a-holes if they waive a guy who just had serious life issues? Does team management care?

Why cut Griff?  He's way more valuable and better than Barr.  It's not even close.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Why cut Griff?  He's way more valuable and better than Barr.  It's not even close.

Fair point - but I asked for 2 reasons:
1. Jimmy listed Griffen in his cap analysis.
2. I saw his guaranteed money (dead cap) suddenly drops precipitously after this year. Sometimes that tells how long a team REALLY plans to keep paying someone within an apparently-long contract. Team has played without him most of this season to date, Weatherly has shown some promise...would you put it past Spielman to value cap space more than Griffen??

And FWIW I'm in the camp that thinks they will let Barr leave, so the real question could be 31-yo Griffen vs. 28-yo Richardson.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Absolutely.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@HappyViking said:
@Jor-El said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Fair point - but I asked for 2 reasons:
1. Jimmy listed Griffen in his cap analysis.
2. I saw his guaranteed money (dead cap) suddenly drops precipitously after this year. Sometimes that tells how long a team REALLY plans to keep paying someone within an apparently-long contract. Team has played without him most of this season to date, Weatherly has shown some promise...would you put it past Spielman to value cap space more than Griffen??

And FWIW I'm in the camp that thinks they will let Barr leave, so the real question could be 31-yo Griffen vs. 28-yo Richardson.
or what will Griff take to stay, he could still get good coin as a FA,  but moves often come with uncertainty,  maybe they point out his injuries last year and issues this year and offer him something closer to 7.5 to 8 million per for the next 3 years and then use that savings to lock Waynes down.  I know OL is a hot want,  but with Easton back next year and hopefully a high round draft pick at OG to replace Remmers we may be ok for Richardson if they can move on from Barr.  However... I have heard there is going to be a lot of pass rush talent in the draft next year and that could push down what Griff could get on the open market and/or make it easier to replace him via a draft pick.