Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Dalvin Cook could be out until after the bye week
My guess is that even though his ACL rehab went well, when he started to put a real game workload on that hamstring, it just wasn't ready. This is a brief explanation from one of the medical articles I read when using part of the Hamstring muscle to surgically repair the ACL. 

To figure this out, researchers looked at 24 patients and took very detailed post-operative MRI images of the tendon and muscle and strength measurements. What they found wasn't great for patients who get their ACL's surgically reconstructed. The good news is that the tendon defect regenerated and filled in for 21 of the 24 patients. The bad news is that the hamstring muscle was 12% smaller and 25% shorter than the non-operated side. In two strength measurements, the hamstring were >30% weaker as well. Another study in 2012 showed similar, but even more substantial issues. In a much longer term follow-up of 9-11 years, the hamstring atrophy was almost 50%! There was also quite a bit of scarring in most patients at the tendon harvest site and the muscle had evidence of dreaded fatty atrophy.

Sugarman is the best in the business so I have no doubt they did everything they could and took every precaution but every patient and surgery is different so who knows why it's not healing but this seems like a common issue for a lot of ACL patients. One big assumption here is that the hamstring issue is on the same side as his repaired ACL. If not, then I'm an idiot and you can rip me. 

I like Latavius .... because he is a Viking.  Otherwise, he’s really just a serviceable RB. He’s OK. He’s fine. He’s adequate. But he’s nothing special. 

I hope the Vikings draft a RB next year.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I like Latavius .... because he is a Viking.  Otherwise, he’s really just a serviceable RB. He’s OK. He’s fine. He’s adequate. But he’s nothing special. 

He's nothing special, but you don't need anything special at RB. It's nice to have. It helps. But you don't need it to win a Super Bowl. Just look at last year's participants.

As far as Latavius goes, he may not be anything special, but he's a backup. Still, I'd take him over 12 to 16 other backs starting right now in the NFL. 

Quote: @TBro said:
Not looking good. I didn't realize that if they used the hamstring muscle to repair the torn ACL it can have lasting side effects that may be causing the constant setbacks. There are a ton of articles on this subject if you Google it. 

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/10/24/18018124/report-vikings-running-back-dalvin-cook-could-be-out-until-after-the-bye-week
Do we know for sure that was the method of repair?  My son just went through ACL reconstruction last week.  They took tendon from the patellar tendon rather than the hamstring.  Supposedly this is the newer and better method.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/acl-surge...ns-2548474

Quote: @dadevike said:

So were Bill Brown & Dave Osborn, they too were useful...  I’d be fine w/ Cook, Boone, & Thomas going into next season, I think we should be glad we have Murray this season though...

Anyone seen this guy?

[Image: Andrew-Sendejo.jpg]

Murray is nothing special but damn glad we have him. Cook is maybe special if he could ever play. I think we should keep shopping.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Anyone seen this guy?

Groin pull.  Those are rough and take a long time to heal.

Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
Anyone seen this guy?

Groin pull.  Those are rough and take a long time to heal.

Pretty bad timing - get hurt a few weeks after the team luckily acquires someone playing your position who has a history with the head coach and is 2.5 years younger...oh, and your contract jumps significantly next year but all guarantees (dead cap) are over.

I don't know why some have an issue with calling Cook a "bust"...  yes, he has shown he can be a difference maker at the NFL level.  But you can't help the team if you're always hurt and the fact of the matter is...  he's only played 4 full games out of 23 regular season games since we drafted him.
Unless he gets healthy soon and shows that game changing talent for the second half of the season, the Vikings probably need to bump RB up higher on their list of needs heading into next season.