Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good News On The Signing Front/Bad News On The Signing Front
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I was agreeing on Barr being the lower priority. ...but how many times has Diggs broken rogers collar bone? B)
Barr should have automatically gone into the Ring of Honor that day...

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@minny65 said:
Let the season play out for both these guys and decide from there.  Like we did with the QB situation last year with Bradford, Bridge and Case all on 1 year prove it deals then decide.
This is the way I'm leaning as well. I was leaning toward signing Diggs before Barr. Then I started paying attention to what WR's are signing for now. I have to see Diggs stay healthy and put up at least one 1000+ season before I see him in that price range. Barr made some big splash plays his rookie season. That OT strip 6 is one that stood out. I thought he would be an unstoppable monster. By last year I can't think of anything other then ending the Packer's season. I think only the team knows how important his role is. The thing is he's played all 16 for the last two years. Hard to judge how bad he'd be missed if he wasn't in there.
how many times in the last 4 years have you heard the announcers say it was a breakdown by Barr that led to a big play?  the dude may be a bit sullen,  he may not put up fantasy stats,  but even though his job doesnt let him get those flashy sack numbers like a 34 OLB... he flat out does his job at a high level.

Diggs iMO is one of those guys that will amaze and frustrate on an annual basis.  He doesnt have the body type to play as reckless as he does,  kind of reminds me of Harvin in that aspect that he may not be there every week,  but when he is there he is putting the team first on every play.. no business decisions from those 2.
You could say the same about Kendricks and he got $10M.  Totally agree on Diggs, it's why he's so good and also why he's dinged up all the time.

Brandin Cooks’ new contract with Rams is more good news for Stefon Diggs
The Vikings would like to get a deal done with Stefon Diggs before he hits free agency following this season, but the price tag for the wide receiver continues to climb.
Diggs got more good news on the contract front Tuesday when the Los Angeles Rams agreed to a reported five-year, $81 million extension with wide receiver Brandin Cooks that, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, includes $20.5 million fully guaranteed at signing and $50.5 million in total guarantees. The Rams acquired the 24-year-old Cooks from New England in April for the 23rd pick in the 2018 draft and a sixth-round selection.

Cooks, who caught 65 passes for 1,082 passes and seven touchdowns in 2017, is entering the final season of his rookie contract and is scheduled to make $8.4 million this season. Cooks was a first-round pick of the New Orleans Saints in 2014.
Diggs was a fifth-round pick of the Vikings in 2015 and is entering the final season of a rookie deal that will pay him a base salary of $1.9 million this coming season. He caught 64 passes for 849 yards with eight touchdowns in 14 regular-season games in 2017. Diggs added 14 catches for 207 yards and one touchdown in two playoff games. That touchdown was the 61-yard catch that gave the Vikings a last-play victory over New Orleans in the postseason.
The Vikings have been proactive for many years in locking up key players entering their second contract — linebacker Eric Kendricks and Danielle Hunter are the two most recent examples — but they have yet to sign linebacker Anthony Barr and Diggs to extensions and in Diggs’ case he might be wise to wait.

If the Vikings can’t reach an agreement on an extension with Diggs, they could put the franchise tag on him for 2019. The Vikings also could pay Diggs big bucks and secure his services for many years to come.
But while Hunter’s deal with the Vikings (five years, $72 million, $40 million guaranteed) was considered team friendly by many, it’s fairly certain that if Diggs stays in Minnesota his contract will be considered to be player friendly.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...fon-diggs/

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/10193...9104779270&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.1500espn.com%2Fvikings-2%2F2018%2F07%2Fbrandin-cooks-new-contract-rams-good-news-stefon-diggs%2F

Again, no way I give Diggs in the 16 million per year range until he proves he can play 16 games and produce over 1,000 yards.  

Cook's has 3 straight years of 16 games and over 1,100 yards and 8 TD's plus his per catch average is very good.

Let the year play out at 2 million.  Then next year franchise him, if he produces, which will probably be around 16 million.  Then we get two more years for Diggs to prove it at 18 million total or 9 million per year.  

I dont' get how Cooks contract should push Digg's number up. Cooks has outperformed Diggs consistently as many have pointed out.

I don't think that Diggs is some kind of superstar, but he's a good WR. I mean, 849 and 8 TDs last year. Not bad at all but certainly nothing that is mind-blowing. The year before, 903 yards but on 84 receptions...that's a low yardage per catch. 

Not trying to knock him as he can increase those numbers under Cousins for sure. I want him on the team, he's talented. But he's not worth a gigantic contract, IMO.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I don't think that Diggs is some kind of superstar, but he's a good WR. I mean, 849 and 8 TDs last year. Not bad at all but certainly nothing that is mind-blowing. The year before, 903 yards but on 84 receptions...that's a low yardage per catch. 

Not trying to knock him as he can increase those numbers under Cousins for sure. I want him on the team, he's talented. But he's not worth a gigantic contract, IMO.
I think for Diggs (especially) the question is how high the ceiling will be?  I know we'd all like to keep him, Cousins, Cook and Thielen together for a long while. 

We'll need it cause Rogers will probably be around another 4-5 years and the kid from the Bears might turn out well. That aside, those skill players I just pointed out on our roster give us a chance to compete against anyone in the league. 

Thats what I'm looking forward to after all these years. I am very bullish on this team going forward. Very bullish and it's the sum of the parts vs anyone player I think can make this a tough team to beat. Diggs is integral even if not a Moss like superstar. 

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@RS Express said:
@purplefaithful said:
And as much as I love Anthony Barr, I've netted-out in my own mind that if we can only keep him or Diggs? I think it has to be the WR over the LB who may play some DE. 
Felt that way myself for quite a while. 6'5/255/4.5 guys aren't supposed to disappear as often as Barr does. 
My only dig on Diggs is how often he disappeared from the field because of injuries. He has yet to play 16 games. Probably why he has yet to net 1000 yards. Cooks has played 3 straight 16 game 1000+ yard seasons. He...imo is worth more then Diggs. You think Diggs will understand that?

Diggs is likely viewed on the same level as Cooks and its based on skill age and performance

also worth keeping in mind Cooks has had Brees an Brady as QB. Must be nice as a WR. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:

and hes never broke rogers collar bone... we cant forget that. B)

the more we get into the numbers and such,  I think we lose Diggs.  He isnt a reset the market type receiver and unless he is willing to take a very incentive heavy contract those numbers should be off the table.  I have no issue paying him 16 million a year,  but only about half that should be guaranteed and the rest are based on availability and production IMO.