Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good News On The Signing Front/Bad News On The Signing Front
Jaguars signed No. 29 overall pick DL Taven Bryan to a four-year, $10.2 million contract.
The deal includes a fifth-year option and $5.5 million signing bonus. Bryan got slighty above slotted money despite his unproven college track record. The Jaguars plan to use Bryan in a rotation with Calais Campbell and Malik Jackson. He can also play inside in sub-packages.
Source: Ian Rapoport on TwitterJul 17 - 11:32 AM

Yeah, helps set the market in Hughes...

Rams signed WR Brandin Cooks to a five-year, $80 million extension through 2023.
The Rams moved aggressively for Cooks after letting Sammy Watkins walk in free agency, and did not want to lose a field-stretching lid lifter for the second-straight free agency in 2019. It's a bold move considering Watkins' disappointing production with conservative Jared Goff, but the Rams spent the entire offseason talking Cooks up. Still somehow only 25 in September, Cooks is coming off three-straight 1,000-yard seasons, albeit with Drew Brees and Tom Brady at quarterback. He also has stiff target competition in Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods and Todd Gurley. Probably headed for a WR2/3 campaign in fantasy, Cooks will likely be more valuable on the real-life gridiron than virtual.

Boo, helps set the market on Diggs...

Helps set the market---just need to look at Diggs agent and say "just how many seasons did Diggs play 16 games and get over 1000 yds---let's start the negotiations there."

Quote: @Akvike said:
Helps set the market---just need to look at Diggs agent and say "just how many seasons did Diggs play 16 games and get over 1000 yds---let's start the negotiations there."
Very good! 

But the reality is that the value of his contract will be based on what his future production may be vs the past. Incentives? sure, but there will be big guaranteed $$ too. 

If Diggs is resigned, it will probably be at an amount that may cause a # of Viking fans to cringe a bit. 

And as much as I love Anthony Barr, I've netted-out in my own mind that if we can only keep him or Diggs? I think it has to be the WR over the LB who may play some DE. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
And as much as I love Anthony Barr, I've netted-out in my own mind that if we can only keep him or Diggs? I think it has to be the WR over the LB who may play some DE. 
Felt that way myself for quite a while. 6'5/255/4.5 guys aren't supposed to disappear as often as Barr does. 

I was agreeing on Barr being the lower priority. ...but how many times has Diggs broken rogers collar bone? B)

Quote: @RS Express said:
@purplefaithful said:
Felt that way myself for quite a while. 6'5/255/4.5 guys aren't supposed to disappear as often as Barr does. 
My only dig on Diggs is how often he disappeared from the field because of injuries. He has yet to play 16 games. Probably why he has yet to net 1000 yards. Cooks has played 3 straight 16 game 1000+ yard seasons. He...imo is worth more then Diggs. You think Diggs will understand that?

Let the season play out for both these guys and decide from there.  Like we did with the QB situation last year with Bradford, Bridge and Case all on 1 year prove it deals then decide.

Quote: @RS Express said:
@purplefaithful said:
Barr may have some flaws, but the "disappear" may be because of the defensive design and him simply doing his job quite well.  Zimmer's D isn't about making one guy a superstar.  Rhodes "disappeared" for a good portion of the season too while covering Jones, AB and a few other surprisingly quiet WRs.  Watching Barr close on a QB is enough for me to want him re-signed.

Quote: @minny65 said:
Let the season play out for both these guys and decide from there.  Like we did with the QB situation last year with Bradford, Bridge and Case all on 1 year prove it deals then decide.
This is the way I'm leaning as well. I was leaning toward signing Diggs before Barr. Then I started paying attention to what WR's are signing for now. I have to see Diggs stay healthy and put up at least one 1000+ season before I see him in that price range. Barr made some big splash plays his rookie season. That OT strip 6 is one that stood out. I thought he would be an unstoppable monster. By last year I can't think of anything other then ending the Packer's season. I think only the team knows how important his role is. The thing is he's played all 16 for the last two years. Hard to judge how bad he'd be missed if he wasn't in there.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@minny65 said:
This is the way I'm leaning as well. I was leaning toward signing Diggs before Barr. Then I started paying attention to what WR's are signing for now. I have to see Diggs stay healthy and put up at least one 1000+ season before I see him in that price range. Barr made some big splash plays his rookie season. That OT strip 6 is one that stood out. I thought he would be an unstoppable monster. By last year I can't think of anything other then ending the Packer's season. I think only the team knows how important his role is. The thing is he's played all 16 for the last two years. Hard to judge how bad he'd be missed if he wasn't in there.
how many times in the last 4 years have you heard the announcers say it was a breakdown by Barr that led to a big play?  the dude may be a bit sullen,  he may not put up fantasy stats,  but even though his job doesnt let him get those flashy sack numbers like a 34 OLB... he flat out does his job at a high level.

Diggs iMO is one of those guys that will amaze and frustrate on an annual basis.  He doesnt have the body type to play as reckless as he does,  kind of reminds me of Harvin in that aspect that he may not be there every week,  but when he is there he is putting the team first on every play.. no business decisions from those 2.