Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB with #1? A bit of a pivotal moment for me.
Quote: @medaille said:
I don't really see this as very shocking.  We only had one real hole on this team which was one spot on the OLine.  Teams routinely pick up starting caliber players at G in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  It's not a big shock that we would pick one up then and get a more premier position in the first.  Nickle corner is practically a starter in this league, and we're depending on Alexander and maybe Newman at that spot.  If Newman plays this is likely his last year.  This is potentially Waynes last year if he ends up being a guy we can't resign because of cap reasons.  Plus as we've seen, CBs usually need a little time to season before playing well in our system.  If we wait until next year, we could be put in a very bad spot.

I think they just looked at all the players and thought Hughes was BPA among our positions of need, and didn't feel like we were going to miss out on a starting caliber OLine.  I'm sure if things get too tight, they'll trade up to get the OLine they want.

I'm actually not shocked either, at least that they skipped the OL. It has been the Vikings' most obvious need since 2014, and their top picks for the unit have been David Yankey (5th), TJ Clemmings (4th), Willie Beavers (4th), and Pat Elflein (3rd). SPIELMAN DOES NOT DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN EARLY!! You all know this, so let's quit rationalizing that Ragnow and Price being picked early changed their plans. This little CB was Zimmer's target all along.
Orlando Brown will probably be there in the 3rd round and Spielman will pick him and declare that he was the best OT on their board throughout the draft process and should have been a 1st-round pick. That will be your offensive line boost for 2018.

I agree that OL has been neglected in the past. But you cannot just focus on draft picks. The Vikings have picked up quite a few OL in FA lately as a result of neglecting the line in the past and missing on Kalil with the 4th overall pick. We paid a lot of money to Rieff and Remmers. We also picked up Andrews and Compton. This year. We are only keeping 9 OL. The coaches may like a lot of the guys they already have: Isidora, Hill, Collins ... Plus Easton and Elflein. That's a pretty full boat already. (Compare that to the lack of depth at CB.) The Vikings have already done a lot to upgrade the OL from 2 and 3 years ago. I agree on taking another one - probably even tonight depending on who is there. But it is not a must.
I don't quite get the panic re the OL. We were 13-3 last year and suffered injuries on the OL late. We have some young OL who are expected to develop. CB was a bigger need and a position with less quality depth in this draft. We will likely take an OL soon. We are good and getting better. Relax.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@medaille said:
I don't really see this as very shocking.  We only had one real hole on this team which was one spot on the OLine.  Teams routinely pick up starting caliber players at G in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  It's not a big shock that we would pick one up then and get a more premier position in the first.  Nickle corner is practically a starter in this league, and we're depending on Alexander and maybe Newman at that spot.  If Newman plays this is likely his last year.  This is potentially Waynes last year if he ends up being a guy we can't resign because of cap reasons.  Plus as we've seen, CBs usually need a little time to season before playing well in our system.  If we wait until next year, we could be put in a very bad spot.

I think they just looked at all the players and thought Hughes was BPA among our positions of need, and didn't feel like we were going to miss out on a starting caliber OLine.  I'm sure if things get too tight, they'll trade up to get the OLine they want.

I'm actually not shocked either, at least that they skipped the OL. It has been the Vikings' most obvious need since 2014, and their top picks for the unit have been David Yankey (5th), TJ Clemmings (4th), Willie Beavers (4th), and Pat Elflein (3rd). SPIELMAN DOES NOT DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN EARLY!! You all know this, so let's quit rationalizing that Ragnow and Price being picked early changed their plans. This little CB was Zimmer's target all along.
Orlando Brown will probably be there in the 3rd round and Spielman will pick him and declare that he was the best OT on their board throughout the draft process and should have been a 1st-round pick. That will be your offensive line boost for 2018.
No recollection of Kalil then I see...
But to your point, I absolutely DO Believe Ragnow and Price going early changed their plans. Rick talked about players that went ahead of their pick and that they saw some guys go they liked. They picked the highest rated guy left on their board. It's THEIR rating system, not ours. They trust their scouts and their own ability to evaluate talent, apparently. I don't think they'll consult Vikefans members about it.

It isnt the number of O lineman.  It is the quality of them.  They are a below average group.  If the Vikings want to reliably compete they need an above average group.  

There is no ignoring or rationalizing that will explain away the fact that Rick and Zimmer neglect the offense for the sake of the defense.  If you cant see it, no problem.   If your season is made happy by having a number one D and going home empty handed in the playoffs, then good for you.  But there is no way you can convince me that a Nickle or Dime CB is needed as much as an offensive lineman on this sub par O line.  

The fact that you guys count the number of lineman and say “problem solved” or that you believe a late round pick is the same as a first round pick already rules you out of intelligent discussions. 

Quote: @Poiple said:
It isnt the number of O lineman.  It is the quality of them.  They are a below average group.  If the Vikings want to reliably compete they need an above average group.  

There is no ignoring or rationalizing that will explain away the fact that Rick and Zimmer neglect the offense for the sake of the defense.  If you cant see it, no problem.   If your season is made happy by having a number one D and going home empty handed in the playoffs, then good for you.  But there is no way you can convince me that a Nickle or Dime CB is needed as much as an offensive lineman on this sub par O line.  

The fact that you guys count the number of lineman and say “problem solved” or that you believe a late round pick is the same as a first round pick already rules you out of intelligent discussions. 
So you already think Flipper is a bust? Cuz he's doubtlessly the one who pushed Rick to sign the kid from the Eagles but what does he know.

And you already think Isidora can't play?

And you already think Minnesota can't add a good player to the Line in the next two rounds of what is inarguably a deeper interior O-Line class than the one that produced Elf in the 3rd last year?

Sounds to me like someone has their mind made up for sure. Intelligent discussion indeed.

Quote: @FSUVike said:

So you already think Flipper is a bust? Cuz he's doubtlessly the one who pushed Rick to sign the kid from the Eagles but what does he know.

And you already think Minnesota can't add a good player to the Line in the next two rounds of what is inarguably a deeper interior O-Line class than the one that produced Elf in the 3rd last year?

Sounds to me like someone has their mind made up for sure. Intelligent discussion indeed.
You forgot the "BOOM" at the end...

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Poiple said:

I do have my mind made up.  A lot of us do.  The fact that you cant see the problem is your problem. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@FSUVike said:

You forgot the "BOOM" at the end...
only boom needed is the one hittin you in the noggin to wake you up to the reality of the #1 D and the #11 O. lol

Quote: @Poiple said:

only boom needed is the one hittin you in the noggin to wake you up to the reality of the #1 D and the #11 O. lol
Is the draft over?  I thought we still had 7 more draft picks...

Sure, why not take a few more CBs first and maybe a safety.  Plenty of O lineman in the 6th and 7th right?  :p