Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB with #1? A bit of a pivotal moment for me.
It seems the only thing Rick and Zim like more than defense is to be smarter than everyone else.  Kind of stunned they would actually do it.  

They already have the number #1 D and they scored ZERO regular season points. The turnover rate was terrible also.

Points win games.  Tackles arent points.  Interceptions arent points.  Sacks arent points.  Third down stops arent points.  

POINTS ARE POINTS.

Smgdmfh....

Quote: @Poiple said:
It seems the only thing Rick and Zim like more than defense is to be smarter than everyone else.  Kind of stunned they would actually do it.  

They already have the number #1 D and they scored ZERO regular season points. The turnover rate was terrible also.

Points win games.  Tackles arent points.  Interceptions arent points.  Sacks arent points.  Third down stops arent points.  

POINTS ARE POINTS.

Smgdmfh....
Well, to be 100% accurate...  the Vikings defense DID score points last year.  Or did you forget Eric Kendrick's pick-6?  Also, how many times did the Vikings defense get the offense favorable field position because they were some dominant on 3rd down?  Short fields lead to points.
Smgdmfh....

My opinion is that this is a very smart pick. How have teams that annually make the playoffs keep their success? They draft to their strengths early in the draft. How many times do the Steelers draft LBs DBs and rushers? It keeps their defense from taking a step back. We do not have much depth at CB. I obviously like the pick.

Zim has said many times that splash plays aren't what he wants his guys to worry about. He wants them to be sound fundamentally and he wants them to tackle well, play within the scheme, and do their own job. If we have to rely on a scoring defense to win games then we're not going to win much.

You know what else leads to points? kick returns for good field position or touchdowns. And you know what else leads to points? The offense getting the ball back because the D is shutting them down. You know what else leads to points? Not having enough corners to come in when someone is ailing or injured and giving up points....to the other team

Come on we've drafted 5 dbs in the 1st or 2nd  rd since 2011...when is this group done being built....otoh just 2 Ol since then in 1st and 3rd  rds. FUCK this reasoning...start building a decent OL!!!!!! 3 yrs in a row it's been a shit show on the OL. even last yr had dismal display. I rarely get upset about the draft. But we need OL help like 4 yrs ago. We had calls to trade back and geez we got a day 1 starting K returner....remember Cordarrel he could actually play a starting role day 1 beside K returner! Oh BTW the kid has issues and is short and slow! Great!

Quote: @prairieghost said:
Zim has said many times that splash plays aren't what he wants his guys to worry about. He wants them to be sound fundamentally and he wants them to tackle well, play within the scheme, and do their own job. If we have to rely on a scoring defense to win games then we're not going to win much.
2016 rings a bell. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Poiple said:

POINTS ARE POINTS.

Smgdmfh....
Well, to be 100% accurate...  the Vikings defense DID score points last year.  Or did you forget Eric Kendrick's pick-6?  Also, how many times did the Vikings defense get the offense favorable field position because they were some dominant on 3rd down?  Short fields lead to points.
Smgdmfh....

Yes, I have no recollection of it and neither does ESPN.  And you really want to stand on 1 TD being enough justification for the ridiculous amount of draft picks on the secondary and ignoring the O line?   One?

I have never tried inserting a link but here is the reference.  Maybe i am reading the ZERO wrong.  

http://http//www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/interceptionTouchdowns/position/defense

Quote: @Poiple said:

Yes, I have no recollection of it and neither does ESPN.  And you really want to stand on 1 TD being enough justification for the ridiculous amount of draft picks on the secondary and ignoring the O line?   One?

I have never tried inserting a link but here is the reference.  Maybe i am reading the ZERO wrong.  

http://http//www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/interceptionTouchdowns/position/defense
It says right here we had 1 defensive TD on an interception:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/...Touchdowns

I don't really see this as very shocking.  We only had one real hole on this team which was one spot on the OLine.  Teams routinely pick up starting caliber players at G in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  It's not a big shock that we would pick one up then and get a more premier position in the first.  Nickle corner is practically a starter in this league, and we're depending on Alexander and maybe Newman at that spot.  If Newman plays this is likely his last year.  This is potentially Waynes last year if he ends up being a guy we can't resign because of cap reasons.  Plus as we've seen, CBs usually need a little time to season before playing well in our system.  If we wait until next year, we could be put in a very bad spot.

I think they just looked at all the players and thought Hughes was BPA among our positions of need, and didn't feel like we were going to miss out on a starting caliber OLine.  I'm sure if things get too tight, they'll trade up to get the OLine they want.