Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miller not McGlinchey top tackle?
Was moving Remmers to G a statement about HIS lack of performance at RT or about the lack of performance by anybody else still walking at playing guard?  I think Hill shows pretty good from the left side but seems to get crossed up on the right.  Mayne they should have left Hill at LT2 and worked Collins at RT2?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
If these OTs arent day 1 starters...wait and get a guy that they can groom.  Considering the questions we have at RG and even to some extent LG,  I don't see Remmers at RT as the weak link across the front.
That's exactly what I'm going in my latest mock. I take a guard at 30 and take Joe Noteboom in the 3rd.

Ya'll should really take a look at this kid. 6-5, 319, 34+ arms, 4.9 forty, academic all american. He's not perfect, but his flaws are the coachable kind.  Film is clean. 
I don't think Noteboom will last until the end of the 3rd, when we pick.

Miller makes me pucker but the upside makes one drool.  If he or Mcglinchy fall to 30 somehow i think its a no brainer, unless Hernandez and Wynn are there also.   Prolly none will be there.  But like you said this is a deep draft for interior.  i say load up cause if theres a pocket a QB can step up or you can chip on the outside

Quote: @Bullazin said:
Miller makes me pucker but the upside makes one drool.  If he or Mcglinchy fall to 30 somehow i think its a no brainer, unless Hernandez and Wynn are there also.   Prolly none will be there.  But like you said this is a deep draft for interior.  i say load up cause if theres a pocket a QB can step up or you can chip on the outside
If I listen to my instincts, I say stay away from both of them, draft one of the many interior guys (Wynn, Hernandez, Ragnow, Price, Corbett) and draft a tackle like Noteboom or Crosby or Christian in the 3rd. That would be much better value IMO. 

@FSUVike said:
I have a question. Signing Richardson was huge because pass rushing 3Ts are hard to find, right?

That means there aren't that many of them out there. So why does RG suddenly become a position that requires a first round pick? 

There are what, 3 or maybe 4 first round picks playing RG in the entire League. Martin, DeCastro, I'm sure there are a few more.

But the vast majority of teams are doing just fine with mid round or even undrafted guys.

And this draft is deep at quality interior linemen...Isn't the better value in the Second? 

Another question. Do you really believe the Vikings thought Remmers was the better RT by the end of the season? 

If they did I'm suddenly scared to death of this coaching staff. Why on God's green and verdant Earrh do you take your starter at the second most important position on your Offensive Line and move him to LG for the first time all year....going into the Playoffs of all times? 

You don't. And neither did coaches. They moved a guy who had already been beaten out by his backup. The same backup that struggled mightily in the Playoffs.

That's why they want to move Mike to RG. He's already been passed by Hill. Who isn't good enough.

There are 4 in-house options to replace Berger. And the sweet spot for interior Linemen is in the 2nd/3rd. Which should yield a fifth option and some really strong competition for both Guard spots in case Easton isn't fully healthy for whatever reason or simply gets beat out of his spot in TC.

Meanwhile, either Remmers somehow improves at nearly 30 years old or Hill's only real competition will be Collins, whom I like but is still pretty raw.

Right Tackle is a question mark. Period. And it's a more important position. If I'm Rick I don't want to enter the year after so many positive things have happened this offseason with a question mark at such an important position.

I'd move up and get McGlinchey. Forget the recent downplaying of his talent. GMs are spreading smoke everywhere right now and the media eats it.like crack.

Ryan Ramczyk had a far smaller resume than Mike has and went 32 to the Saints. He goes on to Start all 16 games. In a redraft he'd certainly go higher.

McGlinchey is a better player. No,.he's not a Franchise LT. He's a League Average LT. But at RT he's better than average out of the gate with Top 10 potential.

Any comparison to Kalil is crap. Mike has a motor. He finishes plays. He plays through the whistle. And he won't be picked in the Top 5 to be a Franchise LT. 

If McGlinchey makes it past Cincinnati (doubtful) I would seriously consider trading up.

But I expect the price to move in front of the Bungles will be too high for Rick. He still needs a CB, rotational DE, Jet replacement and probably another TE. Not all of them have to come from the Draft, but Rick will want the flexibility of having multiple picks. So I don't see him moving up far enough to get Mike.

If Wynn or Hernandez is on the Board then you take him. Won't solve RT, but RG is locked down long-term with really nice depth. I think they will both be gone and Rick won't find a trading partner for a change.

So I'm guessing Defense or TE with the first pick. But if a RT starta to slide far enough Trader Rick just might surprise us. 
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if McGlinchey fall right past 30 into the 2nd round.

I agree that we should move Remmers. He's just not a RT. It's amazing he's lasted this long there. Guy has 31 inch arms.

You want a tackle, you'd be better off with Wynn than any of the others IMO. He's a prototype at guard, but I wouldn't count him out at tackle. 

https://twitter.com/pff/status/978010433717227521
I will guarantee you that McGlinchey doesn't make it to 30, much less fall out of the 1st. More GMs like the kid as a LT. I'm more conservative and have him as a RT.  Either way he probably won't last long enough to even tempt Rick to move up.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:
I have a question. Signing Richardson was huge because pass rushing 3Ts are hard to find, right?

That means there aren't that many of them out there. So why does RG suddenly become a position that requires a first round pick? 

There are what, 3 or maybe 4 first round picks playing RG in the entire League. Martin, DeCastro, I'm sure there are a few more.

But the vast majority of teams are doing just fine with mid round or even undrafted guys.

And this draft is deep at quality interior linemen...Isn't the better value in the Second? 

Another question. Do you really believe the Vikings thought Remmers was the better RT by the end of the season? 

If they did I'm suddenly scared to death of this coaching staff. Why on God's green and verdant Earrh do you take your starter at the second most important position on your Offensive Line and move him to LG for the first time all year....going into the Playoffs of all times? 

You don't. And neither did coaches. They moved a guy who had already been beaten out by his backup. The same backup that struggled mightily in the Playoffs.

That's why they want to move Mike to RG. He's already been passed by Hill. Who isn't good enough.

There are 4 in-house options to replace Berger. And the sweet spot for interior Linemen is in the 2nd/3rd. Which should yield a fifth option and some really strong competition for both Guard spots in case Easton isn't fully healthy for whatever reason or simply gets beat out of his spot in TC.

Meanwhile, either Remmers somehow improves at nearly 30 years old or Hill's only real competition will be Collins, whom I like but is still pretty raw.

Right Tackle is a question mark. Period. And it's a more important position. If I'm Rick I don't want to enter the year after so many positive things have happened this offseason with a question mark at such an important position.

I'd move up and get McGlinchey. Forget the recent downplaying of his talent. GMs are spreading smoke everywhere right now and the media eats it.like crack.

Ryan Ramczyk had a far smaller resume than Mike has and went 32 to the Saints. He goes on to Start all 16 games. In a redraft he'd certainly go higher.

McGlinchey is a better player. No,.he's not a Franchise LT. He's a League Average LT. But at RT he's better than average out of the gate with Top 10 potential.

Any comparison to Kalil is crap. Mike has a motor. He finishes plays. He plays through the whistle. And he won't be picked in the Top 5 to be a Franchise LT. 

If McGlinchey makes it past Cincinnati (doubtful) I would seriously consider trading up.

But I expect the price to move in front of the Bungles will be too high for Rick. He still needs a CB, rotational DE, Jet replacement and probably another TE. Not all of them have to come from the Draft, but Rick will want the flexibility of having multiple picks. So I don't see him moving up far enough to get Mike.

If Wynn or Hernandez is on the Board then you take him. Won't solve RT, but RG is locked down long-term with really nice depth. I think they will both be gone and Rick won't find a trading partner for a change.

So I'm guessing Defense or TE with the first pick. But if a RT starta to slide far enough Trader Rick just might surprise us. 
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if McGlinchey fall right past 30 into the 2nd round.

I agree that we should move Remmers. He's just not a RT. It's amazing he's lasted this long there. Guy has 31 inch arms.

You want a tackle, you'd be better off with Wynn than any of the others IMO. He's a prototype at guard, but I wouldn't count him out at tackle. 

I will guarantee you that McGlinchey doesn't make it to 30, much less fall out of the 1st. More GMs like the kid as a LT. I'm more conservative and have him as a RT.  Either way he probably won't last long enough to even tempt Rick to move up.
I don't make any guarantees when it comes to the draft. You're trying to predict 32 dimensions of stupid. OK, that was a little harsh, but the NFL isn't known for getting this right too often.  I'll only say that he gives me serious pause for two reasons. He was playing next to the best guard prospect in a decade. And when he faced anyone who was any good, he got beat a lot. No, this is not Laquon Treadwell, where I just can't understand why people like him. McGlinchey has a pretty high floor. But he gives me the kind of pause I don't get with the top interior guys. He could be aces on the right, but that's a difficult thing to project. 

He struggled against speed rushers on the Left Side, not the right. And he was just fine at RT without playing next to Nelson.

He would have gone in the Top 15 if he came out after his Junior year. He stsys, has some bad snaps, not games, and I suddenly not as good as Ramczyk? I don't think so.

I really respect your opinion but this time I think you're misreading the tea leaves.

However, I agree that you can still find a Starter after the 1st Round and there are definitely some intriguing diamond in the rough prospects this year just like last year. I'm just hoping one we like doesn't go one slot ahead to the dang Patriots like last year.

I just want some stout competition for RT this TC. Draft pick, Collins and Hill.  Drsft pick, Remmers, Izxy, Compton, the other guy I can never remember. The Starters on the right side will have earned their spots.

@FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:

I don't make any guarantees when it comes to the draft. You're trying to predict 32 dimensions of stupid. OK, that was a little harsh, but the NFL isn't known for getting this right too often.  I'll only say that he gives me serious pause for two reasons. He was playing next to the best guard prospect in a decade. And when he faced anyone who was any good, he got beat a lot. No, this is not Laquon Treadwell, where I just can't understand why people like him. McGlinchey has a pretty high floor. But he gives me the kind of pause I don't get with the top interior guys. He could be aces on the right, but that's a difficult thing to project. 
Good points, but regarding McGlinchey playing next to Quenton Nelson...doesn't that work both ways? I know, Nelson is already being fitted for his gold HOF jacket, but it didn't hurt him to play next to two NFL-caliber OTs throughout his college career.
Also, projecting him to RT isn't so difficult because he played there his first two years at Notre Dame and was great.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:
@MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:

Good points, but regarding McGlinchey playing next to Quenton Nelson...doesn't that work both ways? I know, Nelson is already being fitted for his gold HOF jacket, but it didn't hurt him to play next to two NFL-caliber OTs throughout his college career.
Also, projecting him to RT isn't so difficult because he played there his first two years at Notre Dame and was great.

Fair point. I'm a big believer in synergy. And, yes, McGlinchey will be better on the right. I think I read where even his coaches at Notre Dame acknowledged that he was more of a right tackle. I just haven't watched any of his RT games. And it's hard to get all the images of him getting beaten around the edge out of my head. 

McGlinchey is hard to get excited about, but I'd consider him a red chip RT, just like Remmers.

Miller looks like a fawn on ice too often.  Coaches like his potential, but he's not mastered his own limbs much less the tackle position.

Wynn is the only ready-to-play-now tackle I see, although Conner Williams at G might work first year as a guy who can slide outside.

I also think the top OTs are gonna get snapped up between 20-30 like sardines at Sea World.

The Son of 'Zeus' will be there at #30 along with Justin Reid and prolly Goedert. 

I like some interior guys enough on OL to look there, too.  Price is NFL ready if healthy.

Reid would be a really nice pick.  I've been drooling for a top-flight FS for years, and this guy runs 4.4 and can play ALL the positions.