Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miller not McGlinchey top tackle?
From CBS....

Raiders could trade down, take MillerIf the Raiders do in fact trade down from the 10th overall pick -- with someone like New England or Arizona or whoever coming up for a quarterback -- look out for UCLA tackle Kolton Miller to be a top target for them. Problem is, they might not be able to move back far at all and still get him. I continue to hear from evaluators and offensive line coaches I most trust that Miller, and not Notre Dame's Mike McGlinchey, is the best tackle in the draft. Miller has the potential to be an elite left tackle with tremendous feet on a 6-foot-9 frame. There is too much potential to ignore. Plenty of teams in the teens have their eye on him. McGlinchey, from what I gather, is much more likely to go in the late-teens to early-20s. Not sure Miller makes it past Detroit, where he could start on the right side if need be, where he played at UCLA before moving over.

Saw this on Roto...early on I thought he'd be a guy to get Day 2...top 20 seems like crazy talk...

Leave it to the Raiders...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Saw this on Roto...early on I thought he'd be a guy to get Day 2...top 20 seems like crazy talk...
I don't like any of the top tackles. I'm completely torn on Miller. On one hand, he's got all the length in the world and he moves and bends really well for a guy that tall. 4.9 forty. That kind of athleticism is going to appeal to the Vikings. He's also a better run blocker than you typically see in a guy that tall and skinny. But I've seen him get bull rushed too many times. That's going to be every defender's money move against him.

And McGlinchey scares the hell out of me. Yeah, he profiles really well--so did Kalil--but my lasting impression is watching him getting beaten around the edge time after time against Miami, Georgia, Chubb, etc. 

I think this going to be one of those years where the best tackle from this class comes from the middle rounds. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's Joe Noteboom. 

LOVE the interior class though. I'd be ecstatic with Hernandez, Ragnow, Wynn, Price, Corbett...

I with MaroonBells on this one.  If we choose to take a flyer on an OT, make it Orlando Brown in the third.  As long as his head is right, a few months in the weight room should fix those bench reps.

Quote: @"Norseman" said:
I with MaroonBells on this one.  If we choose to take a flyer on an OT, make it Orlando Brown in the third.  As long as his head is right, a few months in the weight room should fix those bench reps.
Him with money in his pockets scares me.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I don't like any of the top tackles. I'm completely torn on Miller. On one hand, he's got all the length in the world and he moves and bends really well for a guy that tall. 4.9 forty. That kind of athleticism is going to appeal to the Vikings. He's also a better run blocker than you typically see in a guy that tall and skinny. But I've seen him get bull rushed too many times. That's going to be every defender's money move against him.

And McGlinchey scares the hell out of me. Yeah, he profiles really well--so did Kalil--but my lasting impression is watching him getting beaten around the edge time after time against Miami, Georgia, Chubb, etc. 

I think this going to be one of those years where the best tackle from this class comes from the middle rounds. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's Joe Noteboom. 

LOVE the interior class though. I'd be ecstatic with Hernandez, Ragnow, Wynn, Price, Corbett...
Exactly why they're going to go higher than most think. Scarcity factor 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

That's a bad factor. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

That's a bad factor. 
More like "frightening."  Supply/demand issue that causes teams to do stupid things.  Thankfully, we signed Reiff and Remmers last year and are no longer desperate at tackle.  Could we improve?  Sure.  That's almost always the case.  Should we reach for a guy because they are scarce or going fast?  Absolutely not.  Both these guys sounded intriguing to me (especially Miller), but unless we're absolutely sure I would rather take a can't miss OG like Wynn, Hernandez or Price.   We know what Remmers can do, and it isn't awful.

I do think that the RT is the biggest need along our OL. Remmers and Hill are passable, but I like them better as a RG and swing tackle. That being said, if the OTs are drafted earlier than expected, then it makes a lot more sense to capitalize on the abundance of OGs in the 1st or 2nd rounds. That being said, we did just invest a ton of money in Cousins, so I could see them reach a bit for a RT if they think someone would be an immediate upgrade.