Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Money for Cousins
And your chicks four free...

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Here is the Cousins contract that would be fair for both sides. If he gets more money or a better deal elsewhere, this is the line you don't cross and let him walk away. 

The below deal is for 5 years $140M ($28M AAV) with $66.5M (47.5%) guaranteed at the time of signing. The contract layout and cap hits are as follows: 

2018 - Base Salary: $20,900,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $0 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $27,000,000 / Dead Money: ($60,000,000) / Savings: ($33,000,000)  
2019 - Base Salary: $15,600,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $300,000 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $22,000,000 / Dead Money: ($33,100,000) / Savings: ($11,100,000)  
2020 - Base Salary: $17,900,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $4,000,000 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $28,000,000 / Dead Money: ($18,000,000) / Savings: $10,000,000
2021 - Base Salary: $24,900,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $0 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $31,000,000 / Dead Money: ($12,000,000) / Savings: $19,000,000  
2022 - Base Salary: $25,900,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $0 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $32,000,000 / Dead Money: ($6,000,000) / Savings: $26,000,000

If possible the Vikings would be best served utilizing their abundance of cap space in 2018 to offer a semi front loaded deal with a reduced cap hit in year two. This would allow the Vikings to retain their core players. By year three of the deal you can re-evaluate Cousins value to the team and either opt to move on from him saving $10M against the cap or make future plans by re-negotiating the contracts of Griffen, Joseph, etc.. Last off-season those deals were constructed without long-term guarantees to facilitate restructure bonuses. This structure gives the Vikings safety and flexibility. 

So the question becomes, why does Cousins sign this specific deal? First and foremost at a high level it makes him the highest paid player in NFL history by both average salary and total contract value. $66.5M in guarantees at signing also sets an NFL record. But cash flow is really what matters in these types of deals. In the first year of the contract Kirk would take home $51M which ties Matthew Stafford's deal a year ago and tops Garapollo's extension by $8.4M. By the end of year three Kirk would have taken home $89M which puts him slightly behind Stafford ($92M), but ahead of the extensions for both Carr and Garapollo. Ultimately this is window dressed as a market leading deal offers strong cash flow but still contains enough upside where it should regress back to the mean once Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and Russell Wilson sign their upcoming extensions. 
the only thing I dont like is carrying that much dead money past year 3,  but i suppose you have to do that to make the numbers work in the first few years.

so when you make this work in your cap scenario,  how much money does this leave annually for street free agents.  we know that we wont be able to fill all the holes through the draft process.
The higher the contract value, the higher the dead money. Just kind the nature of the beast. But if you signed Cousins to the above and re-signed Barr, Kendricks, Diggs, and Hunter you'd still be able to sign 2-3 mid-tier free agents per year given you'd be opening up cap elsewhere. 
The other free agents that may be out there might be too expensive anyway.

I do not believe Andrew Norwell is going to hit the market unless Carolina has completely lost their minds.

If he does then he might be looking at Zeitler money.

I kind of like Justin Pugh and maybe because of his injury history he may be had for less with incentives.

Another guard I like is Jack Mewhort.  He also has had some injury issues and could come cheaper.  But Indy has money so I think they might try to keep him.

It would not surprise me if the Vikings went after a Weston Richburg or Spencer Long as centers and move Elflein to guard.

One defensive tackle I like is Daquon Jones.  But I think the Titans have enough cap space to make him a good enough offer.

I think the Vikings probably will sit tight (after signing a QB) and after 2 to 3 weeks start to get good players on cheap one year prove it deals.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
Here is the Cousins contract that would be fair for both sides. If he gets more money or a better deal elsewhere, this is the line you don't cross and let him walk away. 

The below deal is for 5 years $140M ($28M AAV) with $66.5M (47.5%) guaranteed at the time of signing. The contract layout and cap hits are as follows: 

2018 - Base Salary: $20,900,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $0 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $27,000,000 / Dead Money: ($60,000,000) / Savings: ($33,000,000)  
2019 - Base Salary: $15,600,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $300,000 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $22,000,000 / Dead Money: ($33,100,000) / Savings: ($11,100,000)  
2020 - Base Salary: $17,900,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $4,000,000 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $28,000,000 / Dead Money: ($18,000,000) / Savings: $10,000,000
2021 - Base Salary: $24,900,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $0 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $31,000,000 / Dead Money: ($12,000,000) / Savings: $19,000,000  
2022 - Base Salary: $25,900,000 / Signing Bonus: $6,000,000 / Roster Bonus: $0 / Workout Bonus: $100,000 / Cap Hit: $32,000,000 / Dead Money: ($6,000,000) / Savings: $26,000,000

If possible the Vikings would be best served utilizing their abundance of cap space in 2018 to offer a semi front loaded deal with a reduced cap hit in year two. This would allow the Vikings to retain their core players. By year three of the deal you can re-evaluate Cousins value to the team and either opt to move on from him saving $10M against the cap or make future plans by re-negotiating the contracts of Griffen, Joseph, etc.. Last off-season those deals were constructed without long-term guarantees to facilitate restructure bonuses. This structure gives the Vikings safety and flexibility. 

So the question becomes, why does Cousins sign this specific deal? First and foremost at a high level it makes him the highest paid player in NFL history by both average salary and total contract value. $66.5M in guarantees at signing also sets an NFL record. But cash flow is really what matters in these types of deals. In the first year of the contract Kirk would take home $51M which ties Matthew Stafford's deal a year ago and tops Garapollo's extension by $8.4M. By the end of year three Kirk would have taken home $89M which puts him slightly behind Stafford ($92M), but ahead of the extensions for both Carr and Garapollo. Ultimately this is window dressed as a market leading deal offers strong cash flow but still contains enough upside where it should regress back to the mean once Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, and Russell Wilson sign their upcoming extensions. 
the only thing I dont like is carrying that much dead money past year 3,  but i suppose you have to do that to make the numbers work in the first few years.

so when you make this work in your cap scenario,  how much money does this leave annually for street free agents.  we know that we wont be able to fill all the holes through the draft process.
The higher the contract value, the higher the dead money. Just kind the nature of the beast. But if you signed Cousins to the above and re-signed Barr, Kendricks, Diggs, and Hunter you'd still be able to sign 2-3 mid-tier free agents per year given you'd be opening up cap elsewhere. 

I do not believe Andrew Norwell is going to hit the market unless Carolina has completely lost their minds.

I kind of like Justin Pugh and maybe because of his injury history he may be had for less with incentives.

Another guard I like is Jack Mewhort.  He also has had some injury issues and could come cheaper.  But Indy has money so I think they might try to keep him.

It would not surprise me if the Vikings went after a Weston Richburg or Spencer Long as centers and move Elflein to guard.

One defensive tackle I like is Daquon Jones.  But I think the Titans have enough cap space to make him a good enough offer.

I think the Vikings probably will sit tight (after signing a QB) and after 2 to 3 weeks start to get good players on cheap one year prove it deals.
lol you want to move the most reliable part of part of our line in elf?  he’s staying at center for the next 10-15yrs for us. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MarkSP18 said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

lol you want to move the most reliable part of part of our line in elf?  he’s staying at center for the next 10-15yrs for us. 
I think the sentence was clear.  I will try to make it clearer.

"It would not surprise me if the Vikings went after Weston Richburg or Spencer Long as centers and move Elflein to guard".

Does that make it clearer?

The key part is the word "Vikings".

I am not saying they should do that only that it would not surprise me if they did.

Players on the offensive line in the NFL move around at times due to injury and being able to play more than one spot is valuable.

For the record, Elflein started 3 games at left guard and the remaining games at right guard for Ohio State in 2014.  In 2015 he played every game at right guard.  In 2016 he played every game at center.

He has the ability to play guard or center.

If the Vikings do not like the free agent guards available maybe THEY (not me) will decide to go after a center and put Elflein at guard.  How long will it last?  Who knows but Elflein probably has the ability to move back and forth just like Berger.

Elf is going to be our center for as long as he wants IMO.  As a rookie, he was the MVP of our line at the toughest spot.  Our protection was night and day better with Elf in there versus Easton or Berger. 

So, no, I doubt the Vikings mess with that spot.

Quote: @greediron said:
Elf is going to be our center for as long as he wants IMO.  As a rookie, he was the MVP of our line at the toughest spot.  Our protection was night and day better with Elf in there versus Easton or Berger. 

So, no, I doubt the Vikings mess with that spot.
Only way I see them moving him over is if we ended up taking Billy price in the draft and he proved to be a better fit at C than Elflein.  Pairing barr and kedricks was a good move on D...lets put the teammates together on O.

First of all Cousins has to GET 30 million for this to be a story.  With Brady, Rodgers,Stafford and Brees all making between 20-25 million how is it that Cousins a very good QB but not the caliber of the top 3 or 5 in the NFL going to justify getting 30 million.  I understand that Rogers is having his contract reworked and he should get around 30 but that doesnt mean Cousins will unless there is a bidding war and he is overpaid.  

Quote: @Jamie Demaree said:
First of all Cousins has to GET 30 million for this to be a story.  With Brady, Rodgers,Stafford and Brees all making between 20-25 million how is it that Cousins a very good QB but not the caliber of the top 3 or 5 in the NFL going to justify getting 30 million.  I understand that Rogers is having his contract reworked and he should get around 30 but that doesnt mean Cousins will unless there is a bidding war and he is overpaid.  
In a market without inflation, that would be the case. Generally you can't look at dollars after about the 3 year mark on a contract. At that point cap inflation has completely reset the market. 

Look at all of the contract above plus both Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson as a percentage of the cap at the time of signing. 

Aaron Rodgers - 17.9%
Matt Ryan - 16.9%
Drew Brees - 16.6%
Matt Stafford - 16.17%
Russell Wilson - 15.3%

So although the contracts are getting larger and larger (NFL record setting in the case of Stafford) they're still completely in-line with the market set by comparable contracts. With the NFL cap projected to be set around $178M (possibly a hair higher), Kirk can easily ask for a comparable contract to Stafford and Ryan since his on-field performance is very much in-line with theirs. That puts his average salary in the range of $29-30M annually before any sort of bidding war or market inflation since UFA's always earn a bit more than players who re-sign with their clubs. 

I've seen Cousins compared to Stafford (here) a couple of times.  It got me thinking: would Stafford be enough- if he were a Viking- to put us in the SB (and win it)?

Quote: @pumpf said:
I've seen Cousins compared to Stafford (here) a couple of times.  It got me thinking: would Stafford be enough- if he were a Viking- to put us in the SB (and win it)?
Absolutely.