Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the MN Vikings Franchise
Quote: @medaille said:
What's the deal with Floyd and Treadwell having so little
production?  You'd think that between the
2 of them, they'd be able to stumble into something that resembles an NFL
receiver, but combined they have less than 280 yards.  Is there something in our scheme or something
in Case that is inhibiting them?  Floyd
has had multiple years hovering around 1000 yds, so it’s not like he’s
completely worthless.  I would hope that
any FA X receiver we bring in would at least be able to get at least 500 yards.
2 really good starters our there in Diggs and Theilen...Not many catches left after the 2 of em. I'd like to believe we're 3 deep, but not sure! 

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Why would we keep 2 long snappers?
Just to retain Overbaugh's rights for the time being. Basically it would be the cheapest insurance policy you can buy.  
I think they probably have seen enough of both to know who they should keep based on age, performance, and contract. I didn't see any drop off when McDermott went down. Who's younger and cheaper? I know in the grand scheme of things LS aren't a money issue, but why have them take up space when clearly there are more pressing positions that need depth?
Have to fill the off-season roster with bodies,  he might as well be one of them.

Quote: @Norse said:
Ben Goessling retweeted
[Image: mgQ4qqcD_normal.jpg]Chris Hine52m
Jerick McKinnon said he appreciated his role this season with the Vikings, but as he heads to free agency, he’d ideally like to go somewhere he can be the featured back: “I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens.” #Vikings
I love Jet but he will not find a team where he gets a bigger role.  He is what he is a part time change of pace back and that is all. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Why would we keep 2 long snappers?
Just to retain Overbaugh's rights for the time being. Basically it would be the cheapest insurance policy you can buy.  
I think they probably have seen enough of both to know who they should keep based on age, performance, and contract. I didn't see any drop off when McDermott went down. Who's younger and cheaper? I know in the grand scheme of things LS aren't a money issue, but why have them take up space when clearly there are more pressing positions that need depth?
you missed the punt block in the saints game?
yer blaming that on the snap?

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@Norse said:
Ben Goessling retweeted
Jerick McKinnon said he appreciated his role this season with the Vikings, but as he heads to free agency, he’d ideally like to go somewhere he can be the featured back: “I want bigger and better things for myself. We’ll see what happens.” #Vikings
I love Jet but he will not find a team where he gets a bigger role.  He is what he is a part time change of pace back and that is all. 
but he will have almost no role if Cook is healthy which the Vikes have to assume he will be when building their roster for next year.  I hate to see Jet leave,  but he has certainly proven himself good enough for a dual back role in a lightning and thunder type approach.

Case looks for Adam and Diggs on every play unless Shurmer specifically calls for the play to go to someone else.

I don't really blame him, but the really good QBs don't lock.onto one or two guys every play. Well, Ben does sometimes with Brown, but can you blame him either? 

More cerebral guys will read the Defense and adjust to the WR they feel has the best chance to get open based on what they are seeing.  They also know that helps open things up more because it forces the Defense to react to your #3 and #4 WRs killing their Nickel and Dime CBs.

That's another knock against both Case and Teddy. They're both guys who go with the called play and rarely audible into anything else. Sure, both will go through progressions post-snap when the primary read is covered. But they're not guys who beat you pre-snap.

I want a QB that can read Defenses and audible out of runs into stacked boxes and makes the right decisions to involve more playmakers besides the Big Two.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@Norse said:
Ben Goessling retweeted
I agree but I think he could be a starter in a shared backfield, like McCaffery and Stewart.

I'd prefer him over Murray if I had to choose who to pay equal dollar amounts to.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Case looks for Adam and Diggs on every play unless Shurmer specifically calls for the play to go to someone else.

I don't really blame him, but the really good QBs don't lock.onto one or two guys every play. Well, Ben does sometimes with Brown, but can you blame him either? 

More cerebral guys will read the Defense and adjust to the WR they feel has the best chance to get open based on what they are seeing.  They also know that helps open things up more because it forces the Defense to react to your #3 and #4 WRs killing their Nickel and Dime CBs.

That's another knock against both Case and Teddy. They're both guys who go with the called play and rarely audible into anything else. Sure, both will go through progressions post-snap when the primary read is covered. But they're not guys who beat you pre-snap.

I want a QB that can read Defenses and audible out of runs into stacked boxes and makes the right decisions to involve more playmakers besides the Big Two.
i dont think to many QBs are going to get free reign right out of the gate with a new OC.  Teddy was in his second year,  first as a full time starter and was running Norvs very structured O,  Teddy could make small adjustments at the line,  but he couldnt completely change to a play he thought would be better IIRC.   I am not sure how much rope Case had this year,  didnt seem like much considering how many times he handed the ball of when the D showed 8-9 in the box pre snap.  I think Sam last year wasnt getting to change plays for most of the season, but I am not positive on that.  very few QBs get free reign and I would be even less get it until they are a veteran of the system.

Quote: @FSUVike said:

What you describe is what 1/2 the NFL is still looking for  Wink

But on a more serious note, I do agree that Keenum can get stuck on his reads from time to time. The good thing is that both Diggs and Thielen get good seperation and can give him a target rather quickly. 

Quote: @NodakViking said:
@PSBLAKE said:
@Norse said:
Ben Goessling retweeted
I agree but I think he could be a starter in a shared backfield, like McCaffery and Stewart.

I'd prefer him over Murray if I had to choose who to pay equal dollar amounts to.
He probably will have the opportunity to get a larger role. But in Jet's mind if the Vikings move on from Murray is that a big enough role? Its all subjective. 

The money is what will be key. He may be able to find a better role elsewhere, but he won't get as much money guaranteed. If he accepts a role similar to what he did this season he'll get more guaranteed but the upside for more money won't be there.