Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why aren’t the Vikes signing any of their QBs?
Thanks for your thoughts Geoff!
I have been wondering about Sam lately. I guess right now he is a wildcard in this QB mix.

Greed have also thought a 1 year Sam deal and then Sloter taking over.

I can't imagine the Vikings not paying Keenum yet I think the chances of him catching lightening in a bottle again next year can't be that high?  Look what happened to Cunningham after 98.  I love Keenums play this year.  Paired with our defense I think the Vikings have as complete of team as I've ever seen and think the Superbowl is within reach.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Poiple said:
I am sure there is a reason, I just cant imagine what it would be.

Kenum, if he wins a Superbowl he will be much more expensive.

Bradford/ Bridgewater, other teams are interested.  Trade one keep the other?

Its puzzling to me.  I am sure there is a reason.  One you insiders know anything?

how do you trade a free agent?

Keenums value is what it is,  him winning a superbowl without showing much more improvement from what hes shown thus far wont change his value... he is what he is at this point.  Besides,  I am not sure the coaches are sold on him yet.  He really hasnt shown any real consistency in terms of production and has still shown to lock in on targets and his arm strength is a concern.

Teddy and Sam are also huge unknows for their own reasons.  I am not sure the coaches are ready to throw in on either of them yet as well.  

This might be a case...( yep) where its best to let the market play out and see where we stand as I dont think any of them are worth what they will likely think they are worth.
Keenum has the # 2 QBR in the NFL, He has helped get us to the playoffs with our second best record since 1998.
when is the last time a Viking QB has had a QBR that high? 
I guess he is what he is...
Case is in the catbird seat.  He plays well, especially a SB appearance and/or win, and he's the next hot thing...here or any other team of his choosing.  Arm strength, schmarm strength...he's not Rodgers or Favre, but has a hell of a lot more between the ears than many of the so called "can't misses".  He's a winner and took a very rare opportunity and ran with it.  
as of  today this is  why  i  lean towards  case  whats between the  ears .  he is a coaches  son  has a  good  feel  for the  pocket  keeps  his  eyes  down the  field   has  some  houdini in him    sure  not  the tallest or  strongest  arm   but  some of the  best   had averge arms  which is good enough   like  montana , and  brady  two name  two. but  i think  we theright thing to do iswait till iff season  freeagencey does not start till early  march  plenty of time to geta dealdone .the worse thing that  happens we settle for the third choice draft a  qb  early to compete  with sloter  and  maybe a  bargin journeyman   to compete with  sloter and rookie   threw otas and camp

I would imagine that trying to keep him motivated on the
next game in front of him is slightly at odds with trying to negotiate a
contract.  And who knows, maybe the team trying
to negotiate with him and offering a value that’s a lot less than what his
agent has convinced him he’s worth while pointing out all the reasons he’s not
the best QB in the league might impact his performance.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
The Vikings had 0 discussions with Bradford last off-season since they wanted to see him both build on his play in 2016 and stay healthy. Obviously the latter significantly impacted the former. But in hindsight nobody, not even the Vikings, could have seen Keenum jumping into the spotlight like he has. That's complicated things and likely delayed the Vikings negotiating with any of their QB's. But each are going to have a different viewpoint in negotiations: 

When you really look at the situation as a whole politics are going to play a significant part in the direction the Vikings move. The Vikings front office has done a good job of finding depth at the QB. But with the franchise tag being the only way to assure a player not making it to the UFA marketplace, each of the QB's on the roster will have the opportunity to have a say in what they want. That lack of leverage over your personnel tends to end poorly for most teams. 
Geoff, thanks for the breakdown.  I was hoping you would chime in.  Much appreciated.

Maybe they are going to try to sign Kirk Cousins instead of any of these 3?

I would be more than happy with that move.

Geoff, would it be safe to say that if the Vikings were to win the SB that we would not hesitate to stick with Teddy? Meaning, we have the ring, now we can go with our guy and the monkey is off our back

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
Maybe they are going to try to sign Kirk Cousins instead of any of these 3?

I would be more than happy with that move.

I think trading for Alex Smith IMO is most likely going to happen if its not one of our current 3.

Nobody has really underscored the most obvious reason...there is no point in distracting the team (or Keenum, especially) during what is the most important run for this franchise in its history.  A potential home SB game.  Focus, focus, focus on each game.  It will work itself out after the next month.

For what it's worth, here is what my foggy crystal ball tells me:  Keenum, if we go deep in the playoffs (win one or two), will be offered a $15-20mm/year, multi-year (won't be longer than 3 years, although look at Drew Brees) contract (technically not an extension as he will be an FA), that is heavily incentive-laden.  If Keenum wins the Super Bowl, I can see him getting "paid"...possibly over $25mm/year contract.  The "lightning in a bottle" comment is key.  If he can repeat it, he can be handsomely rewarded.  Sam will be allowed to go play golf and manage his investments.  And he will be a heckuva TV analyst.  Teddy will be offered a lesser "prove that you are healthy" contract, a stop-gap that will make him handsomely paid.  A $7-10mm backup that is cheap insurance in the NFL, with a chance to compete in training camp.  Whether Teddy takes it or not, I don't know, and that's why Sloter is being held onto.  

We do have an embarrassment of riches at this demanding position, but the amount of salary tied up in it is mostly with Bradford, and it is pretty affordable compared to other franchises who are paying well in excess of $20mm for that position...with far less production.  Teddy and Keenum are cheap right now.  That situation won't replicate itself next year. 

While I have faith in Brez, it takes two sides, AND a supporting cast.  Keenum has the best supporting cast he's ever had, and he is smart enough and humble enough to realize it, so it appears.

But for the time being, please...no talk of contract negotiations for the next four weeks.

Quote: @Canthony said:
Geoff, would it be safe to say that if the Vikings were to win the SB that we would not hesitate to stick with Teddy? Meaning, we have the ring, now we can go with our guy and the monkey is off our back
I don't think it would change the long term plan much. That is the trap the Broncos fell into and look where that has gotten them.