Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharrif Floyd
Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
He won't play again, if he wasn't already guaranteed this year he would have been released this off-season.  Tough break for both parties.
not saying i disagree with his long term prognosis,  but they could have paid him and still released him.  there must be some signs of hope for them to keep him around and working on rehab instead of just cutting the check and sending him home.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
He won't play again, if he wasn't already guaranteed this year he would have been released this off-season.  Tough break for both parties.
not saying i disagree with his long term prognosis,  but they could have paid him and still released him.  there must be some signs of hope for them to keep him around and working on rehab instead of just cutting the check and sending him home.
He's not taking up a roster spot, Why release him?

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
He's not taking up a roster spot, Why release him?
i dont know,  I never said he should be gone.   you said if his money wasnt locked in he would have been gone...

i was simply saying that they didnt need to keep him around anyway as they could have wrote the check and said goodbye so perhaps there is a glimmer of hope for a recovery yet.

Quote: @NodakViking said:
It sounded like the nerve was regenerating this summer so it was a matter of rehab and time and his prognosis long term was good.  It would be nice to hear more.
I think this is the case, but no one knows how much will be re-generated.  There is a limit to patience of course, but the process cannot be rushed.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@1VikesFan said:
It is really weird that we haven't heard a peep about Floyd.  I wonder if there is no change or on the other hand if no news is good news and he is progressing.  Would be nice to know one way or the other.
I think it's respectful to him for them not to say anything. It's like Mike Harris. They kept it quiet until it was necessary to say anything. Granted one was illness and one was surgery but it's a classy move. 
Sorry, don't see the big deal in informing the fans of his status.  If it was an illness or some other personal issues I'd agree, but they are constantly updating injury statuses on players, why's he any different.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@Vikergirl said:
@1VikesFan said:
It is really weird that we haven't heard a peep about Floyd.  I wonder if there is no change or on the other hand if no news is good news and he is progressing.  Would be nice to know one way or the other.
I think it's respectful to him for them not to say anything. It's like Mike Harris. They kept it quiet until it was necessary to say anything. Granted one was illness and one was surgery but it's a classy move. 
Sorry, don't see the big deal in informing the fans of his status.  If it was an illness or some other personal issues I'd agree, but they are constantly updating injury statuses on players, why's he any different.
He's not on the active roster so perhaps his health infornation is protected by HIPPA laws.

@1VikesFan said:
@Vikergirl said:
@1VikesFan said:
He's not on the active roster so perhaps his health infornation is protected by HIPPA laws.
Not perhaps..fact    just like Harris last year.   

The guy is done but they can't say that out of respect to the person...not player..the person!

@1VikesFan said:
@Vikergirl said:
@1VikesFan said:
Are the Vikings still paying him?  I thought he was under contract for 2017.  If so, not sure why his injury info would be different than any other player in regards to HIPPA laws.  If they're not paying him, I would understand the HIPPA issue.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@1VikesFan said:
@Vikergirl said:
@1VikesFan said:
Are the Vikings still paying him?  I thought he was under contract for 2017.  If so, not sure why his injury info would be different than any other player in regards to HIPPA laws.  If they're not paying him, I would understand the HIPPA issue.
You would have to ask sports lawyer.  I am sure the team can't talk about health issues on anybody they want just because they are paying them.  There has to be some sort of trigger as to what they can and can't talk about legally and since he isn't active I would think that his heath has no immediate concerns for the team so IMO it should be off linits.  Basically his status will have no effects on the betting lines so therefore no reason it should be public knowledge.

Unless there is some realistic hope he will return, mentioning him is only bad PR. He is a reminder of a botched medical procedure and a first-round pick that didn't work out. Sure, maybe no one in the organization is at fault for either of those, but it still is non-positive.