Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barr seems to be having a bounce-back kinda year...
Quote: @minny65 said:
Back to the OP:

Barr is not having a bounce back year he is having a career year.  He is playing better then he ever has.  He is not missing tackles like he has all the previous years.

Who did we extend of Defense this offseason - Griff, Joseph, Rhodes and Harry the year before that.  Barr is going to be costly with Kendricks the year after.  
we keep saying it,  we arent going to be able to keep them all,  but so far so good.   although I think with a major QB decision looming that our run of retaining our guys might start to wane.  a few contracts coming off the books, but I also think that we will need to spend to replace those guys so who knows how much cap will be truly available.  I am hoping that Teddy comes out and looks the part.... and is really wanting to stay in Minny and will take a favorable deal to make sure there is something left for those around him.

Same with some of these other guys although it will hard to sell considering the deals that Rhodes and Smith got as well as the extensions that Griff and Linval inked.

Quote: @greediron said:
@minny65 said:
Back to the OP:

Barr is not having a bounce back year he is having a career year.  He is playing better then he ever has.  He is not missing tackles like he has all the previous years.

Who did we extend of Defense this offseason - Griff, Joseph, Rhodes and Harry the year before that.  Barr is going to be costly with Kendricks the year after.  
Agreed.  Barr is playing so much better in all phases.  He isn't asked to rush much, but the spy position on Rodgers obviously worked out well.  He closes so fast.  His tackling, his leadership, his coverage is all coming together.

But I think Kendricks (2nd round) and Barr (1st round with option) are going to be free agents at the same time.  Kendricks might not be as expensive as he doesn't have the prototypical size and isn't standing out so much.  Barr won't be break the bank because he isn't the Von Miller splash play guy, but quietly does the little things this year.
Oh yea your right - Barr 5th option and then Kendricks was a second rounder so no 5th for him = both at the same time!

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
Back to the OP:

we keep saying it,  we arent going to be able to keep them all,  but so far so good.   although I think with a major QB decision looming that our run of retaining our guys might start to wane.  a few contracts coming off the books, but I also think that we will need to spend to replace those guys so who knows how much cap will be truly available.  I am hoping that Teddy comes out and looks the part.... and is really wanting to stay in Minny and will take a favorable deal to make sure there is something left for those around him.

Same with some of these other guys although it will hard to sell considering the deals that Rhodes and Smith got as well as the extensions that Griff and Linval inked.
Yea that Teddy (reasonable contract) would be ideal and allow us to resign guys like Barr, Kendricks, Hunter and Diggs if he stays healthy.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
Back to the OP:

Yea that Teddy (reasonable contract) would be ideal and allow us to resign guys like Barr, Kendricks, Hunter and Diggs if he stays healthy.  
Diggs is the one that is a head scratcher for me.  tons of talent,  one of the tops in the league when healthy... but how do you back up the brinks truck for a guy that is essentially productive for only 1/3 of each season?  Will he take an incentive laden deal? doubt it.

@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
Back to the OP:

Diggs is the one that is a head scratcher for me.  tons of talent,  one of the tops in the league when healthy... but how do you back up the brinks truck for a guy that is essentially productive for only 1/3 of each season?  Will he take an incentive laden deal? doubt it.
Darn, just looked at the Diggs draft and he comes up the same year as Kendricks, Waynes and the 5th year option with Barrbut we have this year and next for these decisions.  Would be great if all were hard decisions, of course.  

@minny65 said:
Back to the OP:

Agreed.  Barr is playing so much better in all phases.  He isn't asked to rush much, but the spy position on Rodgers obviously worked out well.  He closes so fast.  His tackling, his leadership, his coverage is all coming together.

But I think Kendricks (2nd round) and Barr (1st round with option) are going to be free agents at the same time.  Kendricks might not be as expensive as he doesn't have the prototypical size and isn't standing out so much.  Barr won't be break the bank because he isn't the Von Miller splash play guy, but quietly does the little things this year.
If they follow the pattern of the past few years - signing key players to extensions BEFORE the final year they are under contract - these are the guys who could be looking at new deals prior to NEXT season:
Barr
Kendricks
Hunter
Diggs

You are right about Barr not having the stats of a Von Miller, but...he might WANT that kind of money and he might have an agent who convinces him he could get it by going to a 3-4 team. As much as any of us can tell from watching a guy on television, Barr seems happy on this team, but I worry that he might want to test the FA waters.

Damn, hunter too?  Although his sack numbers are down now that he is playing base DE. 

Barr might want that type of money, but without the flashy numbers, it will be harder for him to get it.  He will likely be a notch or 2 lower instead of blowing Von Miller's contract out of the water.  But he will get paid.

Damn, hunter too?  Although his sack numbers are down now that he is playing base DE..
With great drafts comes great contracts, to paraphrase Ben Parker.

Interesting about Hunter. When the team made the unusual offseason announcement that Hunter had been promoted to starting DE, it seemed like there might have been some pressure from him or his agent. No evidence, just that no other explanation seemed apparent and it didn't seem to thrill Robison. That could backfire if this is a down year, though Hunter had 8.5 of his stats in the second half of last season, too.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@greediron said:
Damn, hunter too?  Although his sack numbers are down now that he is playing base DE..

Interesting about Hunter. When the team made the unusual offseason announcement that Hunter had been promoted to starting DE, it seemed like there might have been some pressure from him or his agent. No evidence, just that no other explanation seemed apparent and it didn't seem to thrill Robison. That could backfire if this is a down year, though Hunter had 8.5 of his stats in the second half of last season, too.
I think part of Hunters struggles are 1. teams are able to prepare for him better, more film and they know that he will get a signifant amount of snaps.  2. He isnt as fresh as he was last year.  3.  He is having to play the run much more,  also our defense isnt seeing teams in as many must throw situations as our offense isnt really outscoring many opponents early forcing them to be one dimensional and play catch up.

@Jor-El said:
@greediron said:

I think part of Hunters struggles are 1. teams are able to prepare for him better, more film and they know that he will get a signifant amount of snaps.  2. He isnt as fresh as he was last year.  3.  He is having to play the run much more,  also our defense isnt seeing teams in as many must throw situations as our offense isnt really outscoring many opponents early forcing them to be one dimensional and play catch up.
If you want to know the "struggles" of a starting base DE, just ask BRob.  Having to play the run, be responsible for contain and not be fresh on pass rush downs makes life more challenging. 

Funny thing is, I still see BRob get doubled quite often when he is in there.