• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looming QB Decision just got a little more urgent today
Quote: @medaille said:
Case is playing 500 ball consistently over the last 3
years.  He’s playing well enough that you
don’t put in a subpar option and hope they play better but he’s not good enough
to not have any competition.

I think you let Case play until Bridgewater or Bradford make
a compelling argument that they are better than him in practice.  Both Bridgewater and Bradford, when healthy,
are clearly a level above Case, but are they right now?  I doubt it. 
Bridgewater is likely very rusty and needs some live practice to build
some confidence in his knee and Bradford looked like a cripple the last time we
saw him out there.  If Keenum gets
injured, put in Bridgewater and see what happens otherwise make him earn the
start.
I agree 100%

But I do think Teddy would beat out Keenum after a few weeks of practice or at least I hope he would.  Keenum has won some games for us but he looks every bit the part of a good backup.  We will need Sam or Teddy back if we want to do anything in the playoffs - IMO.  Keenum made some really bad throws yesterday and we were fortunate the Pack's dropped a few.  He also is missing open WR's which is typical of a backup but with more starts I am not seeing an uptick in awareness/reads etc...  I am thrilled with where we are at and don't want to be negative but Keenum is not a long-term answer and by long term I mean even for this season if we expect a playoff birth and run.   

Chris Mortensen‏Verified account @mortreport  8m8 minutes ago
More
Vikings will in fact take Teddy Bridgewater off PUP and plan for him to practice Wednesday.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Riphawkins said:
21 months since Teddy layed regular season real football. If he comes off PUP this week they have 3 weeks to evaluate him before bringing him to active roster. That makes it 22 months.
I think its going to take more than that to get him in a game. If things are going along well and the Vikings are winning the division would you upset the chemistry of the team and bring him in around week 12 or 13 just because you think he might be ready?
It might derail a good thing they have going on.
Not that late in the year. If things are going well, you stay with it. But if Teddy were ready today ("ready" being a loaded word) I'd put him in tomorrow. He's just a better QB than Keenum. 
But, that is pure fantasy as he isn't ready. Do you sacrifice 2 or 3 games to knock off the rust? I don't think they have that luxury. 

Quote: @CLOBIMON said:
Okay, Teddy is a great person but lets not forget that we still had a lot of "hope" going into last season that he was going to continue to improve.  I get a feeling that some are remembering his play as elite level.  In reality Case hasn't played any more poorly than Teddy.  In fact, he currently has a better QBR and rating than Teddy's '15 season and his projected totals for yards, tds and ints are better. 

What I'm saying is that we have no proof that Teddy would be doing much better than Case is had the injury never happened or that he can coming back from it.  Sam came in cold last season and put up numbers last season considerably better than Teddy's.  The team was 31st in passing ypg and passing touchdowns in '15... so I believe there were still questions whether or not he was the guy.  Those questions should be greater now.   
You're forgetting that the last time Teddy played, the Vikings' offensive line was in shambles, Diggs was a rookie and Mike Wallace was the other receiver. Teddy also showed remarkable "IT" that season in taking his team to the playoffs. By the time that 3rd preseason game came around, his arrow was point up in blinking, neon colors. 

I'm not saying that Teddy was the slam dunk solution at QB, or that he'll return the same guy after the injury. Just that he improved every year and the expectations were high going into 2016. It will be interesting to see what he can do behind a better OL and with a weapon or two. 

A refresher: 

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Riphawkins said:
21 months since Teddy layed regular season real football. If he comes off PUP this week they have 3 weeks to evaluate him before bringing him to active roster. That makes it 22 months.
I think its going to take more than that to get him in a game. If things are going along well and the Vikings are winning the division would you upset the chemistry of the team and bring him in around week 12 or 13 just because you think he might be ready?
It might derail a good thing they have going on.
Not that late in the year. If things are going well, you stay with it. But if Teddy were ready today ("ready" being a loaded word) I'd put him in tomorrow. He's just a better QB than Keenum. 
But, that is pure fantasy as he isn't ready. Do you sacrifice 2 or 3 games to knock off the rust? I don't think they have that luxury. 
"Ready" means no rust. But yeah, we're a better team going into the playoffs with Bridgewater, but I make sure he's ready in practice first. Confident, accurate. That might happen right away and it might take some time. We'll just have to wait and see. 

I like that people have optimism that Teddy can come back from such a major injury and be a great playoff caliber quarterback.  I have hope.  Perhaps not as much as I did in the preseason last year though.  I still think some are overconfident in his ability on hope and expectation as opposed to proof.  I remember the criticisms and the early labels of game manager, not strong-armed enough, the typical sub-200 yd and 0 or 1 pass td games.  He made poor throws and decisions as well or no less so than Case.  I'd also argue that last season's line was worse than '15 (similar sack numbers and Bradford was hit a lot - AD led the league in rushing yards in '15 while nobody could run last year).  Again, my point is that while a better team behind him could help him be better, there isn't a lot of proof yet that he can carry a team on his arm.  I'm not saying Case is the answer, but I for one am going to keep cool on the idea that Teddy is the savior.  

Case is a better QB than Flacco, is a better QB than several out there right now, which is good for us being on a team with very good WRs and a top end D. Teddy with this O will be a top 10 QB (some are thinking of the 2nd year him on Norv's O - based around AP with No OL and Wallace and Johnson as our WRs) with the O we have now. If shurmur can keep case a top 10 stats QB doing these things, a legit Teddy will be upper level.  

Quote: @Neptizzle said:
Case is a better QB than Flacco, is a better QB than several out there right now, which is good for us being on a team with very good WRs and a top end D. Teddy with this O will be a top 10 QB (some are thinking of the 2nd year him on Norv's O - based around AP with No OL and Wallace and Johnson as our WRs) with the O we have now. If shurmur can keep case a top 10 stats QB doing these things, a legit Teddy will be upper level.  
Flacco sure is making a ton of money based on that Super Bowl isn't he? I always thought the Ravens were in a tight spot when they had to sign him. 

But, he has played better than about 14 of the last 17 QB's the Vikings have had.

Quote: @Neptizzle said:
He's faced one healthy Defense so far. And lost at home to a Defense missing it's entire LB Corps. Context matters.

Teddy won't be ready for any possible real action until after the bye week: and that will be the earliest.