Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looming QB Decision just got a little more urgent today
With the news from Jay Glazier today that Bradford's injury makes it likely he won't be ready again for the foreseeable future and it could possibly be career ending, and the division race opening up with Rodgers likely out for the rest of the year, I think we need to push all of our QB chips to the center of the table if Teddy is Ready. I have been one of the loudest advocates of not rushing Teddy back, and not burning the final year of his contract. After Keenum's up and down performance today and the division well within our grasp with the way Detroit and Chicago are playing, I have changed my tune. If Teddy looks good during his 3 weeks of evaluation, I say we activate him so he is ready to play after the bye week. I still give the start to Case, but we need an experienced backup and a contingency plan for the playoff push if Case regresses back to his old ways like he usually does.  

my sentiments exactly,  this team is good, and we need to make sure that we have the best players on the field at every position.

IMO win or lose we need to find out if Teddy can be Teddy again,  our draft depends on it.  Case is a nice back up/fill in for a game or two guy,  but he isnt taking this team any where.  Teddy is a starter and if either he or Sam are ready after the bye then they have to be in there unless Case can really step it up and play more like he did against tampa and less like we have seen in his other outings.

Quote: @TBro said:
With the news from Jay Glazier today that Bradford's injury makes it likely he won't be ready again for the foreseeable future and it could possibly be career ending, and the division race opening up with Rodgers likely out for the rest of the year, I think we need to push all of our QB chips to the center of the table if Teddy is Ready. I have been one of the loudest advocates of not rushing Teddy back, and not burning the final year of his contract. After Keenum's up and down performance today and the division well within our grasp with the way Detroit and Chicago are playing, I have changed my tune. If Teddy looks good during his 3 weeks of evaluation, I say we activate him so he is ready to play after the bye week. I still give the start to Case, but we need an experienced backup and a contingency plan for the playoff push if Case regresses back to his old ways like he usually does.  
I think we have to give Case the same benefit of doubt with all the excuses Sam had about crappy teams he played on.  But I agree if Teddy is 100% and looking back to himself activate him to back up Case until needed to either rally or take over due to injury.  All signs/info points to Teddy by ready sooner rather than later.  Nice pocket ace to have....

Now we just need to avoid further injuries.

Case is an acceptable option with the defense we have and the new oline.

A solid backup.

If Teddy looks good in practice I'm sure they'll activated...ok, 95% sure if Sam is still hobbled.

OTOH, Sam may be ready to play in another week for all we know? If he comes back and gets hot again, the situation pivots. 

Very fluid situation...Vikings need to let it all play out and be patient. 

Teddy hasn't played in an NFL game in a year and a half.  He hasn't played a pre-season game.  To anoint him the starter, just coming off the PUP list is foolish, especially since Case has been playing at a high level.  To activate him, however, put him on the roster and keep him in the fold, is just smart.  There's a difference.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Teddy hasn't played in an NFL game in a year and a half.  He hasn't played a pre-season game.  To anoint him the starter, just coming off the PUP list is foolish, especially since Case has been playing at a high level.  To activate him, however, put him on the roster and keep him in the fold, is just smart.  There's a difference.
Case is playing at a high level?  Are you not getting to watch the games or you growing more than hopps ups there? Smile

I don't think anybody is calling for Teddy to start next week.  But he should be ready for a shot with 3 to 4 weeks of practice.  It's not like he has been sitting in a lazy boy for 14 months.  If his knee is good and he practices well,  then put him in there once he's had good reps with the starters.

Him or Sam,  we will need more from the QB position,  entirely to much pressure on the defense if we dont.

21 months since Teddy layed regular season real football. If he comes off PUP this week they have 3 weeks to evaluate him before bringing him to active roster. That makes it 22 months.
I think its going to take more than that to get him in a game. If things are going along well and the Vikings are winning the division would you upset the chemistry of the team and bring him in around week 12 or 13 just because you think he might be ready?
It might derail a good thing they have going on.

He played a live game at the end of August last year, 14 months-no need to be dramatic.  Oh and he didn't almost lose his leg and his leg didn't fall off and nobody has said exactly what damage there was in the knee.  I hope he gets cleared to practice tomorrow and he comes in and looks ready.  Then let him ride the pine until he is needed, he'll probably be ready before Sam.

Quote: @TBro said:
I wouldn't worry about a Case regression. What he was yesterday is probably what we should expect from Keenum. At times brilliant, at times terrible. He's just a wildly inconsistent QB. But after losing our franchise QB to a career threatening injury, replacing him with a another franchise QB, who's career is now threatened by injury, I sorta feel we don't have much to complain about...at least in regard to Keenum.