Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hmmmm...
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Yah Zimm said he's playing well, but has some stuff to clean-up moving forward.

I don't think anybody is pimping him to start the rest of the season.

But he's playing a key role right now in 2 big division games. I can appreciate him for what he is till we get that scrambled egg of a starting qb situation figured out. 

Easy to say after a win too I guess Wink
I was listening to the kfan crew after the game and there were people calling for Case to play it out.
Who? Corey Cove? WTF does he know?  If Case starts the rest of the year, then the Vikings really are snake-bit @ QB.

Never boring in Viking land...

Wait at this point why would we not be calling for him to start the rest of the way? The only reason he wouldn't be starting the rest of the way is because he had faltered. It would be extremely stupid to interject Bridgewater simply because he is healthy again. He hasn't practiced with the eam for over a year. Elevate Teddy to backup. IF Case falters then bring in Teddy off the bench. That puts the least amount of pressure on Teddy and keeps the current continuity in tact. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
Yah Zimm said he's playing well, but has some stuff to clean-up moving forward.

I don't think anybody is pimping him to start the rest of the season.

But he's playing a key role right now in 2 big division games. I can appreciate him for what he is till we get that scrambled egg of a starting qb situation figured out. 

Easy to say after a win too I guess Wink
I was listening to the kfan crew after the game and there were people calling for Case to play it out.
Who? Corey Cove? WTF does he know?  If Case starts the rest of the year, then the Vikings really are snake-bit @ QB.

Never boring in Viking land...

Wait at this point why would we not be calling for him to start the rest of the way? The only reason he wouldn't be starting the rest of the way is because he had faltered. It would be extremely stupid to interject Bridgewater simply because he is healthy again. He hasn't practiced with the eam for over a year. Elevate Teddy to backup. IF Case falters then bring in Teddy off the bench. That puts the least amount of pressure on Teddy and keeps the current continuity in tact. 

Exactly.  I don't understand why so many people are just assuming that Case is going to completely sh*t the bed at some point.  Maybe it's starting to all come together for him.  I still think if Sam recovers to be 100%, he is the starter, but in no way should Teddy just be given the starting role if he is healthy after sitting out for over a year.  I think Case has earned the job at this point while Sam recovers, if he ever does completely recover.

Case is what he is: a back-up QB.  He can (with help) win games... but he will (probably) not be the main reason for the win.  In other words, he is a game-manager.  He had a great game (against a lousy defense)... and has been mediocre since then.  He is who he is.  I think he's a great back-up and should be signed to be our long-term back-up.  But he's not our future.  Teddy might be... Sloter might be.  If Teddy can get worked back in, I would like to see what he's got (rather than waiting 'til the off-season).  Same thing for Sloter (if it comes to that).

Quote: @pumpf said:
Case is what he is: a back-up QB.  He can (with help) win games... but he will (probably) not be the main reason for the win.  In other words, he is a game-manager.  He had a great game (against a lousy defense)... and has been mediocre since then.  He is who he is.  I think he's a great back-up and should be signed to be our long-term back-up.  But he's not our future.  Teddy might be... Sloter might be.  If Teddy can get worked back in, I would like to see what he's got (rather than waiting 'til the off-season).  Same thing for Sloter (if it comes to that).
But why is it just "assumed" that Case is a backup QB?  I think he is easily better than some of the starters that are playing in this league.  His season stats of 64.2%, with 5 TDs and 1 INT, and a QB rating of 93.1 suggest to me that he should not automatically be placed in the backup QB role. 

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@pumpf said:
But why is it just "assumed" that Case is a backup QB?  I think he is easily better than some of the starters that are playing in this league.  His season stats of 64.2%, with 5 TDs and 1 INT, and a QB rating of 93.1 suggest to me that he should not automatically be placed in the backup QB role. 
Because we watch him miss open players in the progression, miss wide open throws and lack the arm strength to challenge teams deep.

There were a lot of PIs called yesterday. And he was throwing against backups and backups to backups. Neither of those will happen very often going forward.

I personally believe that some folks think League Average means mediocre all the time. In actuality it means a player looks better than average on some days and like a fringe player on others.

Case lost to a Lions team missing several starters that just got housed by the Saints. He beat a Bucs Defense that just got housed by the Cardinals.

Look, he's inarguably an above average backup. That doesn't make him a starter. Neither do wins against injury riddled teams.

@pumpf said:
I'm sure Case and his agent feel this way, and it's why we won't see him back next year (at least on a backup's salary).

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@pumpf said:
I'm sure Case and his agent feel this way, and it's why we won't see him back next year (at least on a backup's salary).
Exactly.  I don't think there is any way he re-signs here as the backup unfortunately.

@pumpf said:
He's played a significant amount of 5 games and the only time he looked like anything more than a back up level player was against the bucs.   Other than that he has a few moments of positivity spread among many poor throws,  poor decisions and other things leaving some fans wanting more.  If Teddy isn't better than he shouldn't play,  but Keenum has done nothing to be made a starter over Teddy without consideration.

Keenum has 2 more games to prove otherwise but he isn't looking like a guy that put the team on his back and that's what we will need to make a serious run in January.  Our game will be pass to open the run,  we have a great group of receivers so we will need a QB that can spread the ball around consistently to keep defenses playing honest.  About everything he does is to the right or long developing plays back to his left.  The defenses are seeing that and overloading right and then adjusting back as the play  dicrates and it's slowing our offensive production.  We need longer possessions and more TDs to keep the D fresh all season.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@SFVikingFan said:
@pumpf said:
Because we watch him miss open players in the progression, miss wide open throws and lack the arm strength to challenge teams deep.

There were a lot of PIs called yesterday. And he was throwing against backups and backups to backups. Neither of those will happen very often going forward.

I personally believe that some folks think League Average means mediocre all the time. In actuality it means a player looks better than average on some days and like a fringe player on others.

Case lost to a Lions team missing several starters that just got housed by the Saints. He beat a Bucs Defense that just got housed by the Cardinals.

Look, he's inarguably an above average backup. That doesn't make him a starter. Neither do wins against injury riddled teams.
You could probably level the same criticisms at Teddy to be honest.  Teddy is probably more accurate, but I think Case has the stronger arm and I've seen him go deep a decent amount this year.  Plus Case has only played two more games in the NFL than Teddy, so it's possible that he has not yet hit his ceiling yet either.

I just think he's shown enough so far this year that he will probably be a starter somewhere next year.  Maybe just as a stopgap QB, but there are definitely some teams out there with much worse starting QBs right now than Case.

Let me start by saying I love Teddy.....that being said could someone point me to the time where Teddy light up the league?  He also made some very inaccurate throws especially down field which seems to be working this year.  Be careful what you wish for.  Keenum by and large isn't making mistakes which is exactly what we asked Teddy to do during his two years as a starter. 

We can't automatically think Teddy will take off and become a 20M dollar man.  He's got to take a nfl hit first and foremost and beat out Case with limited reps.  For him to do that will still require Case to suck and Teddy to look decent.  If this plays out we're still an 8-8 team.