Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's still early, but worth watching...
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

After ranking third in the NFL in total defense and sixth in scoring defense last season, the Vikings are 20th and 12th in those two categories through three games.
Not sure playing the Lions are going to help those stats...I just care about the W though. 
I wonder if we will hear comments about the offense having to carry the defense - reversing the complaints of last year. Zimmer's defenses have never been stifling: Vikings in his tenure have only held an opponent under 10 points twice, both times in 2014 (St. Louis and Chicago). The only game you could call a "victory by the defense" was beating KC 16-10 in 2015. 

Not saying our defense is a problem. It's good - just not great.
I would argue that it is great.  Top 5 or 6 in scoring defense the last couple of years.  They also usually have a couple of really bad games every year for some reason like last year when our DBs went rogue against GB and got shredded.  That always bumps up our scoring average as well.

Quote: @minny65 said:
Only really care about scoring defense the other accounts for garbage time stat yards vs prevent which we have done in the Saints and Buccs games.  Defense is playing very well, big improvement vs the run holding to 3 yds per carry.  Not as many sacks or turnovers compared to the fast start last year but overall playing very good defense.   
Yes, with our offense actually scoring points, the defense may give up some garbage time stats.  Last week, they subbed Brock in on the outside to get his feet wet.  Gave up a TD, but got good time in the defense.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
remember all the hand wringing coming out of the preseason?  remember the calls for Shurmurs job?  boy i bet those folks feel kind of silly right now.
They don't feel silly they are just waiting for the next loss to start the drum beat again.

@JimmyinSD said:
remember all the hand wringing coming out of the preseason?  remember the calls for Shurmurs job?  boy i bet those folks feel kind of silly right now.
They don't feel silly they are just waiting for the next loss to start the drum beat again.
and they wonder why they get the treatment that they do....

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I think they thrive on the treatment it makes them feel smarter because they see themselves as "real" and contradictory.  I see them as constantly negative.  I have the trifecta of fire Spelly guys on ignore and that allows me to avoid the same rants over and over again.  I do get a glimpse from them when they try to get me into a debate and call me names or when others quote them but I don't respond to them at all.  Sad in that we are all fans of the same team but this is entertainment for me not really worth internet tough guy fights, Ha!

@JimmyinSD said:

No matter what, your always going to have a few malcontents that are never satisfied nor supportive of this team.  They will always voice some degree of displeasure so they can justify all their complaining.

@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I think they thrive on the treatment it makes them feel smarter because they see themselves as "real" and contradictory.  I see them as constantly negative.  I have the trifecta of fire Spelly guys on ignore and that allows me to avoid the same rants over and over again.  I do get a glimpse from them when they try to get me into a debate and call me names or when others quote them but I don't respond to them at all.  Sad in that we are all fans of the same team but this is entertainment for me not really worth internet tough guy fights, Ha!
I am coming back to that point,  I used to want to argue every point ( and if you ask Loch... he will probably say I still do((I was wicked tired on sunday =) )) but I am learning more and more to just let those that want to win the internet have their hollow victories.  I try not to put anybody on ignore so that as a mod I can see the good posts people make and not just the shit ones that get reported,   but damn sometimes it tough to not flip shit.  (actually things have been pretty good on here for a while so hats off to everybody for keeping it relatively civil,  thanks all!)

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

No matter what, your always going to have a few malcontents that are never satisfied nor supportive of this team.  They will always voice some degree of displeasure so they can justify all their complaining.
As they say, some people just aren't happy unless they are miserable.

Quote: @BsuZagVike said:
@Jor-El said:
@purplefaithful said:

After ranking third in the NFL in total defense and sixth in scoring defense last season, the Vikings are 20th and 12th in those two categories through three games.
Not sure playing the Lions are going to help those stats...I just care about the W though. 
I wonder if we will hear comments about the offense having to carry the defense - reversing the complaints of last year. Zimmer's defenses have never been stifling: Vikings in his tenure have only held an opponent under 10 points twice, both times in 2014 (St. Louis and Chicago). The only game you could call a "victory by the defense" was beating KC 16-10 in 2015. 

Not saying our defense is a problem. It's good - just not great.
I would argue that it is great.  Top 5 or 6 in scoring defense the last couple of years.  They also usually have a couple of really bad games every year for some reason like last year when our DBs went rogue against GB and got shredded.  That always bumps up our scoring average as well.
We all have a different definition of "great". To me, a great defense can win games for a team, even when their offense doesn't sparkle. Do you think we have the kind of defense that earns victories when we get into a low-scoring defensive struggle?

This offseason, people started publicizing Zimmer's record when the offense scored +20 points: 21-2 going into 2017 (now 23-2). Sure, that's great, but...teams generally do win when they score 21 points. Now, look at the flip side: when we score 20 or less, Zimmer's Vikings are 5-22 (including the playoff game and this season). In other words, unless our offense has a good showing, we're only 19% likely to win.

Consider the 2015 Broncos. Manning was on his last legs, he was out some games, they started Brock Osweiler for 7 games, and their offense ranked 19th. But they went 6-2 when they scored less than 21 points, including the AFC Championship game. THAT is an example of a defense that can put the team on its back- and, to me, is "great". They weren't rationalizing about being worn out because their offense didn't control the clock or how it's harder to play defense if they don't have a lead.

Most winning teams have a balance between a good offense and a good defense. Nothing wrong with that and I'm glad we might be getting to that point. But our defense is good, not "great" or "elite".

Its 3 games, I'll definitely take 2-1 with Bradford only playing one of those games. Offense looks very good, Cook has been amazing. Diggs and Thielen? Wow. Offensive line has been a pleasant surprise.

But we started off 5-0 last season. I'm just enjoying one game at a time. The shit can go south in a heartbeat with this team.