Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is the Excitement?
For me because our wonderful GM did absolutely nothing to improve the offensive line.  And the reports from training camp are not good in that regard.  My 3 year old grandson knows we have no shot if the QB get's killed like he did last season.

I hope I never get to the point where I am not excited about this team during preseason and the first quarter of the season. Maybe they will let me down in October, November, January...But I am not going to assume they will. We were fairly aggressive off-season. Addressed some needs. Improved line, picked up a vet receiver to help out when we start getting into the tough part of the schedule.
I am looking forward to watching my team be the first team to play in a home Superbowl.

Quote: @Vikes45 said:
For me because our wonderful GM did absolutely nothing to improve the offensive line.  And the reports from training camp are not good in that regard.  My 3 year old grandson knows we have no shot if the QB get's killed like he did last season.
what was speilman supposed to do that he didnt regarding the OL?  the team was in on about every FA Tackle and even some Guards, they ended up signing 2 pretty decent players (althought they may end up getting moved around, they got the best of what they could)  they moved up to what they think is a good future OL starter, and added another mid round guy to compete as well.   IMO the best thing they did was finally walk away from a loser in Kalil,  I was so afraid that they were going to get nervous and give him another contract.

I made it to 3 games last year, probably won't make it to any this year. Hard to justify 10 hour drive each way, hotel and tickets for a team that fell apart the way they did last year.
The offensive line was IMO the biggest problem last year and I'm not convinced that it is any better so it is hard to expect better results.

hard to get excited for a team that is only going to win 6 or 7 games. been down this road one too many times. not getting fooled this year.

If you watch them, they aren't showing much evidence of being good. Zimmer was happy the offense improved at half time, but they failed to score a single touchdown. We can debate the reasons for this team not being that great, but there is no debating why there is little excitement for the up coming season.

I cant't really explain my lack of interest or excitement.  Maybe it was what happened after the 5-0 start. Maybe it's almost 4 years of working a crap schedule where I feel tired most of the time.
I dropped Sunday Ticket, well actually DirecTv all together. I recorded the game Friday on Sling and watched the first drive by each team. Seemed the Vikings were same old same old! Drive down to the Red Zone only to get a penalty.
I have zero desire to watch any NFL right now.

Maybe oversaturation has taken it's toll. NFL channel runs 24/7, Sunday Ticket allows everyone the chance to see every game. Sunday Night, Monday Night, Thursday Night. 

Maybe I'm getting older and it just doesn't matter as much. You can see ow long it took to me to even answer the question.

Maybe the year I care the least will be the year they win it all.

It's strange, because on paper I think we should be better, but I can't shake the feeling that this season could go either way. I'd like to see some real signs of life out of the offense in the 3rd preseason game, since currently the offense is doing the same thing it did last year where it would constantly sputter out. Though on offense, we have much better depth at receiver, better scheme fits and depth at RB, and while the OL is still full of question marks, there was finally a real effort to improve it. Once Reiff gets back, we'll have a better sense of where things may stand, though Hill played well against Seattle.

On defense, I haven't been impressed with the play and depth of our secondary. That is Zimmer's strong suit, so it should come around, but guys like Waynes and Alexander need to step up and with Newman starting to drop off and Munnerlyn back in Carolina, there isn't a safety net there. Our 3rd linebacker is also a concern. Gedeon seems to be falling into that role by default, but it makes me appreciate what Greenway could do even at the tail of his career.

Also, we'll see about the special teams overhaul. I feel like we're going to miss Patterson more than we realize there, but hopefully we'll have some people step up and solidify the return game.

[Image: xal775p2vbih.jpg]

So, i had to help my wife do a couple of things and just tuned in to the game.  A crappy San Fran team is up by 14 before half and the Vikings cant score right before the half.

This is probably why excitement is lacking.

WTF?