Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its easy to fall in love....
(Yesterday, 02:48 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: It would be HUGE. If he continues this, we can either extend him and trade him for massive draft capital, or he'll sign elsewhere and we'll get a 3rd round comp pick, which we desperately need. 

I don't remember where I saw it but there was an article the other day asking NFL GMs about what the Vikings should do with their embarrassment of riches at QB and one them sounded downright pissed off about how "lucky" we were, as half the NFL struggles to find just one.

I forget about the comp pick - good catch. 

that would be for 2025?

Next time an NFL GM gets pissy about Viking QB's we can just remind them of:

Culpepper Knee
Bradford Knee
Bridgewater Leg
Mond, Hall
The horseshoe up Keenums keister
JJM Meniscus
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(Yesterday, 03:46 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I forget about the comp pick - good catch. 

that would be for 2025?

Next time an NFL GM gets pissy about Viking QB's we can just remind them of:

Culpepper Knee
Bradford Knee
Bridgewater Leg
Mond, Hall
The horseshoe up Keenums keister
JJM Meniscus

The comp pick would be 2026

(Yesterday, 04:23 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: The comp pick would be 2026

Yes but we should get a 3rd for Cousins in '25 and a 3rd for Darnold in '26. Of course we can get a helluva lot more for him if we extend him and then trade him a year later.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

(Yesterday, 04:38 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Yes but we should get a 3rd for Cousins in '25 and a 3rd for Darnold in '26. Of course we can get a helluva lot more for him if we extend him and then trade him a year later.

I just don't see that happening. You have to use that rookie contract to your benefit, what is sitting JJM another year going to do? Nothing for his development. Darnold knows the score....the team drafted a top 10 QB. Its 3 games in. You can hear it in KOC's discussions....he's 'enjoying' coaching Darnold, but his piece of clay is McCarthy. KOC has called him a 'franchise QB'. He saw what he needed to see. I guess I don't understand how some here doubt that with how KOC has elevated Darnold's play: he'll not do the same thing with JJM?.....yet JJM has even more physical gifts and no bad habits learned yet like Darnold has.
[-] The following 3 users Like StickierBuns's post:

Ideally they'd be able to franchise tag/sign and trade him for draft capital in 2025, and not have to wait for a comp pick in 2026.
The artist formerly known as PurpleCrush.

(Today, 05:39 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I just don't see that happening. You have to use that rookie contract to your benefit, what is sitting JJM another year going to do? Nothing for his development. Darnold knows the score....the team drafted a top 10 QB. Its 3 games in. You can hear it in KOC's discussions....he's 'enjoying' coaching Darnold, but his piece of clay is McCarthy. KOC has called him a 'franchise QB'. He saw what he needed to see. I guess I don't understand how some here doubt that with how KOC has elevated Darnold's play: he'll not do the same thing with JJM?.....yet JJM has even more physical gifts and no bad habits learned yet like Darnold has.

Have to agree. If nothing else you're talking about going with a guy who'll be in year 8 next year versus year 2. Just the long term potential in that regard heavily favors JJM.

You've also got several years of cost control that you wouldn't have with Sam, which helps put the pieces around JJM assuming he pans out.

Whatever Darnold's season turns out to be I think they thank him and move on. And as I pointed out in another thread, Darnold is getting away with some stuff that likely sooner or later will bite him. A reality check will tone down the HOF chatter. JJM is the QBOTF IMHO. I'm out of acronyms now. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes comet52's post:

(Today, 05:39 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I just don't see that happening. You have to use that rookie contract to your benefit, what is sitting JJM another year going to do? Nothing for his development. Darnold knows the score....the team drafted a top 10 QB. Its 3 games in. You can hear it in KOC's discussions....he's 'enjoying' coaching Darnold, but his piece of clay is McCarthy. KOC has called him a 'franchise QB'. He saw what he needed to see. I guess I don't understand how some here doubt that with how KOC has elevated Darnold's play: he'll not do the same thing with JJM?.....yet JJM has even more physical gifts and no bad habits learned yet like Darnold has.

For me it's not about doubting JJM (though we all have to realize he's proven nothing. A couple series in one preseason game does not a franchise QB make--Trubisky, RGIII) That said, I thought he looked fantastic. More importantly, KOC is confident we got our guy and I trust him. 

For me it's more about leveraging assets. You don't mess around with QBs. You got a top NFL QB (insert reflexive obligatory comment: need to see more), you keep him. You got two? Throw a party. McCarthy ain't going anywhere.

If I’m Sam I’m going for the most guaranteed money. I think a team will be willing to give him a 3yr deal with guaranteed money in year 2. I’d be pissed if we signed Sam past 1 year worth of guaranteed money.

This is why I think even if Sam led us to a Super Bowl that it’s JJM’s team next year.

(7 hours ago)MaroonBells Wrote: For me it's not about doubting JJM (though we all have to realize he's proven nothing. A couple series in one preseason game does not a franchise QB make--Trubisky, RGIII) That said, I thought he looked fantastic. More importantly, KOC is confident we got our guy and I trust him. 

For me it's more about leveraging assets. You don't mess around with QBs. You got a top NFL QB (insert reflexive obligatory comment: need to see more), you keep him. You got two? Throw a party. McCarthy ain't going anywhere.

Well, you can't say that JJM has 'proven nothing' and then at the same time say 'throw a party, the team has two QBs'. Only one can start and play. Won't know on JJM until he actually plays....which he won't do if we resign Darnold. You leverage the asset by him playing well as a bridge QB, get a 3rd rounder as a comp and turn the keys over to JJM. This pipe dream of resigning Darnold to just trade him is silly, to say the least.

(6 hours ago)StickierBuns Wrote: Well, you can't say that JJM has 'proven nothing' and then at the same time say 'throw a party, the team has two QBs'. Only one can start and play. Won't know on JJM until he actually plays....which he won't do if we resign Darnold. You leverage the asset by him playing well as a bridge QB, get a 3rd rounder as a comp and turn the keys over to JJM. This pipe dream of resigning Darnold to just trade him is silly, to say the least.

Read it again.