Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its easy to fall in love....
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I mean that's the rub right... Darnold is a big strong QB with some mobility. Very strong arm, accurate, can extend a play. His athletic profile fits what KOC wants from his QB and the types of throws he's required to make in this offense.

Buuuuuut all those positives we just laid out with Darnold are even more true for McCarthy. Elite arm strength, accurate to all levels of the field. Genuine speed and agility to extend plays and create big plays with his legs. Impeccable leadership and it factor.

Even if Darnold continues to have a strong season, I think McCarthy will be even better. Ideal world, Sam continues this level of play... we extend him mid-season for another year to give him a bump in guaranteed money this season and next year, and let him and McCarthy compete for the job in 2025.
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

(10 hours ago)MAD GAINZ Wrote: I mean that's the rub right...  Darnold is a big strong QB with some mobility.  Very strong arm, accurate, can extend a play.  His athletic profile fits what KOC wants from his QB and the types of throws he's required to make in this offense.

Buuuuuut all those positives we just laid out with Darnold are even more true for McCarthy.  Elite arm strength, accurate to all levels of the field.  Genuine speed and agility to extend plays and create big plays with his legs.  Impeccable leadership and it factor.

Even if Darnold continues to have a strong season, I think McCarthy will be even better. Ideal world, Sam continues this level of play...  we extend him mid-season for another year to give him a bump in guaranteed money this season and next year, and let him and McCarthy compete for the job in 2025.

The Purple Persuasion
@TPPSkol

“(He) Has that “It” factor to him that transcends what has been a temporary setback in an injury…”

-#Vikings Head Coach Kevin O’Connell on rookie QB JJ McCarthy

Kevin is definitely smitten with the kid. What a fun time to be a Vikings fan! We're off to a great start this year and it seems like we have the pieces to be a contender for the foreseeable future. Young, talented QB waiting in the wings.

BOOM
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

Just a matter of time till Sam v JJM turns contentious...

Just kidding (sort of)

It would be a nice problem to have IF Sam continues to play this well.

Time will tell either way. I really want Sam to sustain his performance. He has great coaching and surrounded by talent. I am also looking forward to seeing JJM develop. He has handled being behind the scenes very well right now

Man oh man. These are Cadillac problems to have.
[-] The following 2 users Like Montana Tom's post:

(8 hours ago)purplefaithful Wrote: Just a matter of time till Sam v JJM turns contentious...

Just kidding (sort of)

I don't think 'contentious' is the right word, maybe 'competitive' would be more apt. But I don't even think that. IMO, this is JJM's team in 2025. Sam is going to have to be beyond stellar for it to be anything else. And despite what some Viking's fans think, I don't see Sammy keeping that bar raised that high consistently this year. 

Listen, Darnold has been really good. He seems like a nice guy. Its his team right now. I'm just enjoying the ride week to week. He's a talented passer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(7 hours ago)StickierBuns Wrote: I don't think 'contentious' is the right word, maybe 'competitive' would be more apt. But I don't even think that. IMO, this is JJM's team in 2025. Sam is going to have to be beyond stellar for it to be anything else. And despite what some Viking's fans think, I don't see Sammy keeping that bar raised that high consistently this year. 

Listen, Darnold has been really good. He seems like a nice guy. Its his team right now. I'm just enjoying the ride week to week. He's a talented passer.

Yah, I think competitive is even better than contentious...

Might get contentious among fans though lol!

I overall agree, there is a very high probability the team has JJM at the helm in 25. I'm not 100% comfortable with that, given his lack of play time, but thats not the Vikings problem, thats mine. 

Then of course the comparisons will be Sam in 25 vs JJM in 25, even though comparisons will be impossible given how interdependent the QB position is. 

I dont think this topic will go away, unless Sam really nose-dives or gets injured for an extended period. Key for fans is enjoy the here and now. 3/0 doesnt get you a Lombardi, but its hard to do none-the-less.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(8 hours ago)purplefaithful Wrote: Just a matter of time till Sam v JJM turns contentious...

Just kidding (sort of)

It would be HUGE. If he continues this, we can either extend him and trade him for massive draft capital, or he'll sign elsewhere and we'll get a 3rd round comp pick, which we desperately need. 

I don't remember where I saw it but there was an article the other day asking NFL GMs about what the Vikings should do with their embarrassment of riches at QB and one them sounded downright pissed off about how "lucky" we were, as half the NFL struggles to find just one.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post: