Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McGinn on GoLongTD: 'Darnold isn't playing with any fear'
https://www.golongtd.com/p/i-dont-think-...e=substack&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share&action=share

“He was the third pick in the draft — easily could have gone 1 or 2 — (because) he is that type of talent and has that type of toughness,” Shanahan told Greg Papa last week on NBC Sports Bay Area. “Sam’s got all the tools to be a great quarterback in this league. “We were really fortunate to have him as a No. 2 last year, which was kind of crazy. He’s a stud, and he’s only going to get better as the year goes.”
“Just watch the throw he made (in New York),” said Shanahan. “To the field. He had to wait on it. They faked a screen. He had to throw it down the sideline. Took a big hit with no room, couldn’t step into it. Basically, shot a JUGS machine all the way across the field.”

“I don’t think he’s playing with any fear right now,” an NFC personnel man said after viewing the play. “He looks very, very comfortable. That kind of goes back probably to the confidence he gained backing up Purdy last year and also knowing he’s the guy again.”

One week at a time.....but I can't say I'm not enjoying it. Obviously, another Big Boy game Sunday. McCarthy is seeing first hand how to succeed in KOC's offense, I think that's going to end up being big next year. He's also got a big time arm, probably stronger than Darnold's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

Yeah, Shanny is sure gushing. Sounds like he really likes Darnold. Wouldn’t it be something if he ends up better than Purdy? Not likely based on what we know, but who knows?

Another article hit this morning on ESPN.com, very good insight from KOC/Darnold:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4132...s-snowball

"I've learned a lot," Darnold said. "I've had experiences where bad things have happened. And I think the more you play football, the more you understand you can't control everything out there and things are going to happen in the game.

"But you've got to understand that you've got to put your head down and continue to work and continue to grind throughout these games, because at the end of the day, it's not about what happened in the past or on the previous play, but it's about the next one."

One or two more good games against good defenses in Houston and Green Bay and I think we can start believing we really did just draft a QB 3rd overall and another one 10th overall.

Of course the elephant in the room is what happens if Sam goes on to have an MVP-like season? The future is JJM, but I think they have to consider extending Sam.

(5 hours ago)MaroonBells Wrote: One or two more good games against good defenses in Houston and Green Bay and I think we can start believing we really did just draft a QB 3rd overall and another one 10th overall.

Of course the elephant in the room is what happens if Sam goes on to have an MVP-like season? The future is JJM, but I think they have to consider extending Sam.

MVP like season talk is crazy premature. One game at a time. But lets just say it happens and the chances are very small that it does: it would have to be a conversation, I think. Good problem to have. But I also think McCarthy positively surprised the whole organization on several levels before his injury. Its going to be exceedingly difficult to move off of him as the starter in 2025. They want to take advantage of that rookie contract. I think Minnesota would get a 3rd round pick for comp when Darnold signs elsewhere next year?

An embarrassment of riches at QB in Minnesota? I wouldn't even know how to handle or respond to that, lol. Its much too foreign of a concept and doesn't happen to the Minnesota Vikings. But again, we all know this is way too early and its just fan speculation. Nothing wrong with that. We haven't seen Bad Sam as a Viking yet, so I need to see what that looks like and form an opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(5 hours ago)StickierBuns Wrote: MVP like season talk is crazy premature. One game at a time. But lets just say it happens and the chances are very small that it does: it would have to be a conversation, I think. Good problem to have. But I also think McCarthy positively surprised the whole organization on several levels before his injury. Its going to be exceedingly difficult to move off of him as the starter in 2025. 

An embarrassment of riches at QB in Minnesota? I wouldn't even know how to handle or respond to that, lol. Its much too foreign of a concept and doesn't happen to the Minnesota Vikings. But again, we all know this is way too early and its just fan speculation. Nothing wrong with that. We haven't seen Bad Sam as a Viking yet, so I need to see what that looks like and form an opinion.

The interesting thing, is everyone has said Sam had to be put in the "right position" to play like he is.  We've already witnessed that he hasn't succeeded when in the wrong position.  It's a QB starved league but what other "right positions" are just sitting out there for him to go to?  I could easily see him taking another 1 year deal in the $30-35 million range with the Vikings to prove it wasn't a one year fluke.  I could also see the Vikings not wanting to rely on McCarthy until they're sure he's good to go.

(5 hours ago)AGRforever Wrote: The interesting thing, is everyone has said Sam had to be put in the "right position" to play like he is.  We've already witnessed that he hasn't succeeded when in the wrong position.  It's a QB starved league but what other "right positions" are just sitting out there for him to go to?  I could easily see him taking another 1 year deal in the $30-35 million range with the Vikings to prove it wasn't a one year fluke.  I could also see the Vikings not wanting to rely on McCarthy until they're sure he's good to go.

I think that's the biggest problem. Let's say Sam does go on to have a great season, he's going to merit a Baker Mayfield type contract. But the idea that this was much more about KOC and our weapons will weigh heavy not just on the teams who bid for him, but Sam himself.

Everyone (including Viking brass) has had to think it was a possible situation. 

IF (big if) Darnold reaches his #3 potential at yr 7? That would be one hella story and one hella position for the Vikings to be in. A good position to be in frankly.

If he's on a 1 year contract, why would the Vikings be in a position to trade him for a draft pick???

I'm excited about the kid, but realistically, has JJM shown enough to get handed the starting keys right when 25 OTA's, TC begin? I dont know and we dont have to answer that for a good, long time.

(5 hours ago)StickierBuns Wrote: MVP like season talk is crazy premature. One game at a time. But lets just say it happens and the chances are very small that it does: it would have to be a conversation, I think. Good problem to have. But I also think McCarthy positively surprised the whole organization on several levels before his injury. Its going to be exceedingly difficult to move off of him as the starter in 2025. They want to take advantage of that rookie contract. I think Minnesota would get a 3rd round pick for comp when Darnold signs elsewhere next year?

Of course it's premature, but that's what we do. I don't want to start questioning JJ because I think we're all pretty jacked about how he looked in the preseason. No one more so than KOC. But to call the Sam talk premature, but not the JJ talk, seems a little unfair. He played in 1 preseason game. 

I think if you have a 27 year old, former 3rd overall pick with terrific arm talent and mobility and that QB suddenly starts playing like a 3rd overall pick, you have to consider keeping him around. JJ's not going anywhere. And who knows, if this happens (and yes, I'm aware it's unlikely) Vikings could get some draft picks out of Sam.

Even if we put off the JJ era another season or two, he'll still be just 22 years old in the '26 season. Jordan Love was 24 when he played his first game. Puts a big dent in the QB on a rookie deal thing tho.

(5 hours ago)MaroonBells Wrote: Of course it's premature, but that's what we do. I don't want to start questioning JJ because I think we're all pretty jacked about how he looked in the preseason. No one more so than KOC. But to call the Sam talk premature, but not the JJ talk, seems a little unfair. He played in 1 preseason game. 

I think if you have a 27 year old, former 3rd overall pick with terrific arm talent and mobility and that QB suddenly starts playing like a 3rd overall pick, you have to consider keeping him around. JJ's not going anywhere. And who knows, if this happens (and yes, I'm aware it's unlikely) Vikings could get some draft picks out of Sam.

Even if we put off the JJ era another season or two, he'll still be just 22 years old in the '26 season. Jordan Love was 24 when he played his first game. Puts a big dent in the QB on a rookie deal thing tho.

I want to see JJ in there as much as anyone but yeah if Sam has a great season that certainly complicates things.

If he has a genuinely great year there's no way he'll take a one year deal with us if there are multiyear offers on the table. My guess, in this scenario, is some other team becomes this year's Falcons and outbids us, knowing KAM has one eye on Darnold and one on JJM.

The Vikings should absolutely try and keep Darnold in the fold if he's playing well though. I'm sure they would at least try.