Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Darnold Renaissance Season
Renaissance Season for Vikings QB Sam Darnold
After the Vikings' 23-17 victory over the 49ers, explore Sam Darnold’s remarkable revival with the Minnesota Vikings in this episode of The Real Forno Show. Hosts analyze Darnold’s impressive performance, the impact of coach Kevin O’Connell, and the team’s early season success. #SKOL!

In the latest episode of “The Real Forno Show,” host Tyler Forness and producer Dave Stefano discuss the exciting resurgence of Minnesota Vikings quarterback Sam Darnold. This episode, titled “Renaissance Season for Vikings QB Sam Darnold,” follows the Vikings’ impressive victory over the San Francisco 49ers and covers every angle of why things are clicking for Darnold and the rest of the team.

The Darnold Renaissance: How It All Began
“The Sam Darnold Renaissance is here,” Tyler asserts with palpable enthusiasm. He sets the stage for a comprehensive analysis by adding, “But how does it work? Let’s talk about it today. Let’s talk about the good, the okay, and a couple of worrisome things. Because let’s be real, this Vikings team is for real.” Tyler’s opening remarks establish a roadmap for the episode, which promises to dissect Darnold’s evolution as a quarterback, the elements driving this change, and what it means for the team moving forward.

Producer Dave Stefano doesn’t miss a beat, emphasizing Darnold’s newfound status as a pivotal player in the season’s early MVP discussions. “There is, and he’s ranking so high, he’s in the early discussion for MVP,” Dave observes gleefully. Tyler, while thrilled, advises a more measured approach. “Not because of his performance per se; I’m calling it premature because I think the MVP of this team is the entire defense,” he says. This opens the door to discussing the multifaceted elements contributing to the Vikings’ success.

The Tyler and Dave Dynamic: Analyzing the Chemistry
As the episode progresses, Tyler and Dave examine the developing relationship between Darnold and head coach Kevin O’Connell, which they believe is a cornerstone of the team’s success. “It’s the confidence that Darnold is playing with and the confidence that Kevin O’Connell’s instilling in him,” Tyler elucidates. He recalls the post-game presser where O’Connell talked emotionally about Darnold: “It was almost like a father-son kind of moment. It was beautiful.”

Tyler elaborates on O’Connell’s approach, especially his calculated play-calling. “You call a deep shot like that because that throw has two reads. If you read what the safety does, it’s a dagger concept, the Vikings use a lot of dagger concepts,” Tyler explains. Such moments exemplify Darnold and O'Connell's strong, cohesive energy, which has been crucial for the team.

Defensive Symphonies: Key Contributors
From Darnold, the conversation shifts to the defense, highlighting its significant role in the Vikings’ impressive start to the season. Tyler and Dave shower praise on Blake Cashman, who has been pivotal in implementing defensive schemes that have stifled opponents. “Cashman is the number one linebacker on this team. And you know what? I actually think that’s a good thing for Pace,” Tyler notes.

He adds, “Cashman and Pace are like butter. They just work together.” The complementary dynamics of both players make the Vikings’ defense a force to be reckoned with, providing the perfect backdrop for Darnold’s rising confidence.

Andrew Van Ginkel also gets his due credit. “Van Ginkel has been figuring out how to maximize things,” Tyler says. With his skill at recognizing offensive tendencies and adjusting during the game, Van Ginkel nearly had two more interceptions this past week solely based on his keen film study.

Jonathan Greenard is yet another significant player in this defensive symphony. “Jonathan Greenard does not have a sack yet. He has 12 pressures and has been a very key contributor on why this team leads the NFL with 11, yes, 11 sacks. That one play is why they moved on from Danielle Hunter and picked Jonathan Greenard. That one play.”

Cornerback Insight: The Three Wise Men
The cornerback room has also been performing solidly, as highlighted by both Tyler and Dave. “Our cornerback room has been fine. [Linebacker] Ivan Pace Jr. kind of got cooked a little bit, 4 out of 5 for 61 yards. But Stephon Gilmore, targeted ten times, allowed seven catches for 71 yards,” Tyler remarks. More importantly, they allowed only 83 yards after the catch, keeping the play contained and preventing explosive gains.

This systematic approach showcases the Vikings’ ability to ensure that yards accumulated by offensive opponents don’t necessarily translate into meaningful progress on the field and more importantly, points. It clearly demonstrates the disciplined and well-coached defense that Brian Flores, O’Connell, and their team have built.

Offensive Line: The Backbone of Success
Another area of discussion includes the offensive line and how it has significantly improved, thereby positively affecting Darnold’s performance. “Darnold, when blitzed, went 4 for 4 for 133 yards, and that 97-yard touchdown. He was kept clean on 71 percent of his 31 dropbacks,” Tyler says, crediting the line’s robustness. “The offensive line gave him the ability to sit in the pocket and stay confident.”

Christian Darrisaw and Blake Brandel receive individual recognition for their contributions. “Christian Darrisaw got beat a couple of times by Nick Bosa, but great tackles get beat by great edge rushers. Blake Brandel had 60 pass-blocking reps [over two games] and did not allow a single pressure per Pro Football Focus,” Tyler notes, underlining the unit’s overall impressive performance.

Mastering the Playbook
During the episode, both hosts marvel at how seamlessly Darnold has integrated himself into the full playbook. Dave points out, “It’s not the excuse of, well, we’re into the second and third year and we’re finally getting into the full playbook. He’s learning the full playbook in one season.”

This mastery allows the Vikings to keep defenses on their toes, offering a diverse array of plays and exploiting weaknesses with surgical precision. Tyler agrees, saying, “It’s the confidence both Darnold now has and that has been instilled in him by Kevin O’Connell.”

The Road Ahead: Unanswered Questions and Tremendous Potential
As the conversation rounds off, both Tyler and Dave keenly look ahead. Are they cautiously optimistic? Yes. But they also identify a clear roadmap to sustained success. Tyler mentions, “We’ve got a real big test coming up this weekend, but we’ve got players playing well and playing as a team.”

Dave sums it up well, “And it’s led by Sam Darnold. Let’s talk about some of the other elements, Dave because it wasn’t just Sam Darnold that helped us get the win.”

Interesting comments about the defense. I'd been thinking Greenard wasn't quite living up to the hype, but I watched a breakdown the other day that really showed his impact. He's not getting the sacks yet--those will fall--but his pressures are responsible for many of the sacks others have gotten.

Also agree that Pace is actually better without the green dot. It frees him up to just play fast and wild. Because of his play style, he'll miss things here and there, but he also makes a lot of big plays.

Greenard, Van Ginkel, Cashman...Vikings really did their homework on the free agents they signed.

I was wondering about Greenard too...

But I read a stat where he leads the team in QB pressures.

Turner is learning, big step-up from SEC to playing NFL OT's. I think he draws Tunsil this week? That should school the kid proper.

Read a bit ago that Dallas Turner wants to put on some muscle weight this offseason. I'm sure he's feeling these big OTs and guards putting their hands on him and would like some more lead in his pencil.

(Yesterday, 08:26 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Read a bit ago that Dallas Turner wants to put on some muscle weight this offseason. I'm sure he's feeling these big OTs and guards putting their hands on him and would like some more lead in his pencil.

Parsons is listed at 6'3, 245
Turner listed at 6'4 247

So yah, its muscle weight we're talking about.

LOL, beat the Texans and Green Bay. Or at least show up for them. Last time we had an emotional win in Buffalo we fell flat the following week. We have to see if KOC learned from that. The Texans are a good football team. I think we're a good football team. I think it will be a great game. I think we can confuse Stroud who doesn't make mistakes and we can get the ball out fast enough to mitigate their pass rush.