Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greg Joseph sure moves around a lot
The Giants have addressed their kicking situation. Sure, it was two days too late — but it’s better late than never.

The Giants are signing veteran kicker Greg Joseph from the Lions’ practice squad, according to his agent, Brett Tessler.

He’s a seven-year veteran, and he spent the past three seasons with the Vikings. He holds the league record for game-winning kicks in a season, with five. He also kicked a Vikings record 61-yard field goal in 2021.

Joseph also has kicked for the Browns, Titans, and Buccaneers. He won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay in 2020.

Joseph signed with the Packers in March. He was released last month.

The Giants ended up without a kicker during Sunday’s loss to the Commanders. Graham Gano was added to the injury report on Saturday with a groin issue. He injured a hamstring on the opening kickoff. The Giants went for two after every touchdown (failing each time) and attempted no field goals in a 21-18 loss.

How can punters not cross work on place kicking enough to at least be an option?

(09-17-2024, 05:34 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: How can punters not cross work on place kicking enough to at least be an option?

They tried letting the punter kick a FG or extra point, but he missed badly.

(Yesterday, 06:37 AM)Riphawkins Wrote: They tried letting the punter kick a FG or extra point, but he missed badly.

Apparently he needed more work at it. Should be a daily thing where both cross train to be each others competent back ups. Same with the back up long snappers.

(Yesterday, 06:42 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: Apparently he needed more work at it.  Should be a daily thing where both cross train to be each others competent back ups.  Same with the back up long snappers.

I used to think the same thing, especially about long snappers. You can't train a center to snap the ball a little farther? But I'm not aware of any NFL team whose centers and long snappers crossover. There would be a big roster advantage, so there must be a very good reason they don't do it. I suspect it's mostly about specialization, but also because they don't want their centers covering punts and they don't want their backup centers at 220 lbs.

I think we're the only team that kept him around for more than 6 months. Why I have no idea

(Yesterday, 08:57 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I used to think the same thing, especially about long snappers. You can't train a center to snap the ball a little farther? But I'm not aware of any NFL team whose centers and long snappers crossover. There would be a big roster advantage, so there must be a very good reason they don't do it. I suspect it's mostly about specialization, but also because they don't want their centers covering punts and they don't want their backup centers at 220 lbs.

I would suggest that the back up long snapper be a back up TE or other that has maybe done it in the past, maybe a LB or safety, somebody with a little lead in their ass, but has a few extra minutes a day to work on the skill. It doesnt need to be a C, hell wasnt JAllen our back up LS when he was here?

Greg Joseph moves around a lot. So do his kicks... (too soon?)
[-] The following 1 user Likes badgervike's post:

(Yesterday, 08:57 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I used to think the same thing, especially about long snappers. You can't train a center to snap the ball a little farther? But I'm not aware of any NFL team whose centers and long snappers crossover. There would be a big roster advantage, so there must be a very good reason they don't do it. I suspect it's mostly about specialization, but also because they don't want their centers covering punts and they don't want their backup centers at 220 lbs.

I think there’s got to be some advantage in having your K/P/LS to go practice on their own, while the “real” guys are practicing “real” football or having offensive meetings or whatever, but you’d also think that the roster spot saved not having a LS would overshadow that quite a bit.