Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalil throws Vike's OL Coaches Under the Bus
I was there.  They pushed his ass and pushed his ass in camp his last 3 years.  First Davidson and then Sparano.  Both line coaches worked only with him for large chunks of time and he still lunged and grabbed.  

He has talent, but both doesn't like the game (it is a well-known fact, but it's a lot of money and he has no other marketable skills) and is very lazy.  He was always the first one off the field.

He was a waste of space, just like Ponder, tuecexperiment was far too long

Did Kalil really just give Everson Griffen 4 months to read that over and over and over and...

Carolina better invent a 7' by 3' spatula.
Quote: @Tom Moore said:

He was a waste of space, just like Ponder, tuecexperiment was far too long
Ponder didn't work out as a player, but he wasn't 1% of the douchebag Kalil is.  

Quote: @Tom Moore said:
I was there.  They pushed his ass and pushed his ass in camp his last 3 years.  First Davidson and then Sparano.  Both line coaches worked only with him for large chunks of time and he still lunged and grabbed.  

He has talent, but both doesn't like the game (it is a well-known fact, but it's a lot of money and he has no other marketable skills) and is very lazy.  He was always the first one off the field.
The thing that separates the good college players from the good NFL players is work ethic.  A high draft pick like Kalil has the requisite talent to be good, but if he can't find it in himself to be self-motivated and WANT to be great, he won't be.  

I'm glad he's gone.  A guy like Reiff isn't as physically talented, but he's an old school Midwestern boy.  He'll push himself to the limits to get the job done even if it isn't pretty...  I think fans will be pleasantly surprised with his performance this season.

I keep thinking about all the one on one time I saw with Kalil. He got the coaching and mentorship. It's not like they didn't try. He wasn't doing the work. And when he kept getting beat by Griffen, he didn't seem to care. I remember reading an article where he said he wasn't all that excited to be playing football. He has to take some responsibility and ownership for his performance. It seems like he is still making excuses. 

Shit! If we only demanded excellence. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Solid would be a stretch.   He rarely played what I would call solid.  He was susceptible to so many different moves it really was like watching a guy trying to not drown...he flailed and flailed and kept his head above water,  most the time,  but he never really got anywhere. He gave up a lot of hits and hurries even though they didn't end up as sacks they still affected the QB he was supposed to be protecting 
I will go back to what the coaches thought.  he was good enough to leave on an island versus the top pass rushers.  His failures were memorable and stand out, but I would say he was solid with occasional glaring lapses.  I did a breakdown in 2015 I think.  He had around 1 to 2 noticeable failures a game. (there were likely more less-obvious depending on scheme and such)  Too many for a lock down LT, but far from the "worse than Charlie Johnson" line.
He wasn't on an island,  they often had a TE or RB chip on his side,  they don't call it help if they are just chip blocking,  but it's still help.  He was a pussy in  every sense of the worD and proven to be a bitch to boot.

I don't play golf like shit....it's the clubs

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
I don't play golf like shit....it's the clubs
Old saying on the plains. ...it's not the arrow,  it's the indian.

I'm not convinced we have much for OLine coaching.  We have had far too many problems to peg it completely on shitty talent and injuries, but Kalil's lack of drive and desire are very easy to see.  I think Reiff will be a noticeable upgrade, but we should still be working on improving our OLine coaching.

I miss Tice...