Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Vikings sign Rypien, waive Hall
Ummm....Hate to be the one to point this out, but didn't Risner have some sideline altercation / issue with Rypien when they were with the Bronco's?

(08-29-2024, 02:30 PM)bigbone62 Wrote: Any team poaching him would have to immediately put him on the 53 man roster, is he really promising enough that a team is going to cut an active player to add a third string QB? Lets be real, prior to the last two weeks the majority of fans wouldn't have given a flying fart about him being cut. He has a few good preseason games against scrubs and he's the next training camp superstar. That said, I'm not advocating for him needing to go or that I like the move. But the handwringing over a backups backup has been interesting to say the least.

Completely agree. I also don't think I'd classify Hall as, "promising". The team knows what they're risking by doing this, and they're still doing it. So they must not believe they're wagering all that much.

(08-29-2024, 02:30 PM)bigbone62 Wrote: Any team poaching him would have to immediately put him on the 53 man roster, is he really promising enough that a team is going to cut an active player to add a third string QB? Lets be real, prior to the last two weeks the majority of fans wouldn't have given a flying fart about him being cut. He has a few good preseason games against scrubs and he's the next training camp superstar. That said, I'm not advocating for him needing to go or that I like the move. But the handwringing over a backups backup has been interesting to say the least.

I think it's more likely that a team has only 2 QBs, one gets injured, and they might bring in a Hall type guy to be the backup for a period of time.  I don't think it's hand-wringing as much as it is "WTF is this?" when your QB was promising and they replaced him with a guy who's the same caliber but with more bad tape and with less potential for growth.

(08-29-2024, 04:20 PM)Vanguard83 Wrote: Ummm....Hate to be the one to point this out, but didn't Risner have some sideline altercation / issue with Rypien when they were with the Bronco's?

You are correct 

https://youtu.be/DS5ZuVeMT6w?si=yujPr9wIWtQG9P6z

(08-29-2024, 06:14 PM)medaille Wrote: I think it's more likely that a team has only 2 QBs, one gets injured, and they might bring in a Hall type guy to be the backup for a period of time.  I don't think it's hand-wringing as much as it is "WTF is this?" when your QB was promising and they replaced him with a guy who's the same caliber but with more bad tape and with less potential for growth.

I respect your opinion but guess we differ on promising and what's wort putting forth effort to be bothered by a guy being cut. His promise was two preseason games against a bunch of scrubs. Again, prior to those games no one was pounding the table for him talking about a promising prospect.

(08-29-2024, 06:55 PM)bigbone62 Wrote: I respect your opinion but guess we differ on promising and what's wort putting forth effort to be bothered by a guy being cut. His promise was two preseason games against a bunch of scrubs. Again, prior to those games no one was pounding the table for him talking about a promising prospect.

Well what is your take on Rypien?  Is he "promising" or at least any more "promising" than Hall?

(08-29-2024, 06:14 PM)medaille Wrote: I think it's more likely that a team has only 2 QBs, one gets injured, and they might bring in a Hall type guy to be the backup for a period of time.  I don't think it's hand-wringing as much as it is "WTF is this?" when your QB was promising and they replaced him with a guy who's the same caliber but with more bad tape and with less potential for growth.

Not sure how Hall is 'promising'. He's a 3rd string guy. And now he's cut, so the action speaks louder than KOC's words. Again, this is for QB3 so its a big nothing burger.

(08-30-2024, 03:56 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Not sure how Hall is 'promising'. He's a 3rd string guy. And now he's cut, so the action speaks louder than KOC's words. Again, this is for QB3 so its a big nothing burger.

Ok, same question as above.  Well what is your take on Rypien?  Is he "promising" or at least any more "promising" than Hall?  Or in your mind are we just shuffling garbage around and should have brought in a decent RB or someone who can contribute?

(08-30-2024, 09:32 AM)medaille Wrote: Ok, same question as above.  Well what is your take on Rypien?  Is he "promising" or at least any more "promising" than Hall?  Or in your mind are we just shuffling garbage around and should have brought in a decent RB or someone who can contribute?

This mostly. But I'm fine with Gaskin at RB3. 

Here's my take: I don't think KOC or the organization is fond of Hall. Why he continues to speak like he is is beyond me. Maybe he's a nice kid. But the actions of the franchise is they don't care about Jaren Hall's future in Minnesota. Rypien must be more game-ready in their eyes than Hall in case of mass casualties at the position like last year.

KOC's mystery babble about Hall at the presser might make sense if the reason for his release was whatever injury happened at Cleveland. He might be back at some point, who knows.