Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Competitions for the 53
WR5: Trishton Jackson and Trent Sherfield
Sherfield. If we keep only 5, this will be Jackson for his upside, but since I think we keep 6, Sherfield’s experience will get him in the game before Jackson. Big kudos to McCardell on this group.

RG2: Dalton Risner vs. Tyrese Robinson
Robinson. Risner started camp in a battle with Ingram for RG1, but that’s over, and not because of any greatness on Ingram’s part. He’s just been OK. Risner just hasn’t been healthy.  He’s now in a battle for RG2 with Tyrese Robinson. I really like what I’ve seen from Robinson, and we can always throw a buoy to Risner later if we need him. Not like he won’t still be there.

ILB4: Brian Asamoah vs. Dallas Gant
Neither. I think Kamu Grugier-Hill will be ILB3. He’s bigger than Asamoah and better on special teams. Gant will go on the PS. ILBs are 10 a penny. I think we find our ILB4 from another team’s cuts.

OLB4 and OLB5: Pat Jones II vs. Jihad Ward
Both. Ward’s size makes him more versatile inside and PJ2 had a good camp. Youngsters like Carter, Richter and Murphy go on the PS.

CB4: Akayleb Evans vs. Dwight McGlothern
McGlothern. I go back and forth on this one. In a bid for experience, McGlothern could easily go to the PS with Evans on the 53. They're very similar corners. But at the end of the day, Nudie was picked by Flores and Evans was not.
[-] The following 4 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Good stuff. All things need to keep that eye toward next year and the Purple King, so a hearty thumbs up agreement on Tyrese Robinson: he's played well. No slouch playing at Oklahoma, 6'3", 320+ lbs. Also agree on Sherfield, he's a vet and a speedy one at that.

Thumbs Up 
Good assessment. I agree on all of these.

I am curious about your take on DLine. I've heard good things about Taki Taimani from Oregon, but little about Jonah Williams, Jerry Tillery this pre-season.

(08-26-2024, 10:37 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: I am curious about your take on DLine.  I've heard good things about Taki Taimani from Oregon, but little about Jonah Williams, Jerry Tillery this pre-season.

JMO, but I think Tillery is going to have a decent year in Minnesota.

Way under the radar are Tyrese Robinson and Jalen Redmon. I thought both these fatties had good preseasons.

(08-26-2024, 08:17 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: WR5: Trishton Jackson and Trent Sherfield
Sherfield. If we keep only 5, this will be Jackson for his upside, but since I think we keep 6, Sherfield’s experience will get him in the game before Jackson. Big kudos to McCardell on this group.

RG2: Dalton Risner vs. Tyrese Robinson
Robinson. Risner started camp in a battle with Ingram for RG1, but that’s over, and not because of any greatness on Ingram’s part. He’s just been OK. Risner just hasn’t been healthy.  He’s now in a battle for RG2 with Tyrese Robinson. I really like what I’ve seen from Robinson, and we can always throw a buoy to Risner later if we need him. Not like he won’t still be there.

ILB4: Brian Asamoah vs. Dallas Gant
Neither. I think Kamu Grugier-Hill will be ILB3. He’s bigger than Asamoah and better on special teams. Gant will go on the PS. ILBs are 10 a penny. I think we find our ILB4 from another team’s cuts.

OLB4 and OLB5: Pat Jones II vs. Jihad Ward
Both. Ward’s size makes him more versatile inside and PJ2 had a good camp. Youngsters like Carter, Richter and Murphy go on the PS.

CB4: Akayleb Evans vs. Dwight McGlothern
McGlothern. I go back and forth on this one. In a bid for experience, McGlothern could easily go to the PS with Evans on the 53. They're very similar corners. But at the end of the day, Nudie was picked by Flores and Evans was not.

I don't see McGlothern not getting snatched.  He's been active all pre-season even spending time with the ones.  He EASILY makes the 53 man.  Risner will be cut almost 100% for sure.  He hasn't played and balked about playing RG.

(08-26-2024, 08:24 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Good stuff. All things need to keep that eye toward next year and the Purple King, so a hearty thumbs up agreement on Tyrese Robinson: he's played well. No slouch playing at Oklahoma, 6'3", 320+ lbs. Also agree on Sherfield, he's a vet and a speedy one at that.

Sherfield is also a very willing and enthusiastic contributor in the run game, which it will need to be a part of the game with more emphasis if KOC is going to get this team over the hump.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

Agree entirely with this post. Evans was a good story at the beginning of his career but then seemed to plateau and last year was plain ugly. I want to see Nudie get his chance.

I have valued Risner previously for his experience but perhaps it’s time to put that horse to pasture. I am for Robinson getting the chance now.

Definitely agree on T. Jackson and Sherfield. Jackson has really improved over the offseason and I think Jets has him under his wing. Sherfield did make some nice plays in preseason so I can see him hanging on too.
SKOL VIKINGS Tongue

McGlothern makes the team because he's one of the few CBs on the roster younger than 30 & with term. The others are Blackmon, Evans & Wright. Evans might not even make it to opening day. To date, Wright has played more snaps on STs than he has at CB.

Gilmore & Moreau are older than 30 & only signed for this season. Griffen is 29 & only signed for this season. If he doesn't improve his play from last season when he was released by both Houston & Carolina, there's no doubt that he won't be resigned.

Murphy is younger than 30 but will be an UFA this offseason.

All the remaining CBs on the roster are only signed for this season.

If McGlothern doesn't make the team, the Vikings could be looking at adding up to 4 new CBs in the offseason.