Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirty hands? Seems like teams can't help themselves....
Now Nix is QB1:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4094...ener-elway

Williams, Daniels and now Nix....and Ill bet Maye won't be far behind, although he's not ready. Day 1 starters. I thought teams were going to be 'more patient'?? lol. 

[Image: i-cant-help-myself-larry-talbot.gif]

You could make the argument all these guys should sit for a bit.

From what I've seen of Caleb Williams, he's been really good at extending plays outside the pocket and finding guys down field. But he hasn't been as good in the pocket. He could use some more development there or he could be the next Justin Fields if he gets in the habit of running around trying to play hero ball.

Daniels has probably played the least of the top 6 QBs taken... and he has one TD run and one big pass play. He rarely attacked the middle of the field in college so I wonder how he's done in training camp with that? Teams will make him pay if he can't attack all areas of the field and with his frame you can't run it if your outside options are covered.

Nix will probably look the best of these guys cuz he gets the ball out quick, he's accurate, and he played a lot of games. Has a solid supporting cast in Denver. I think he'll be fine starting as a rookie. He won't have gaudy statistics but he'll give Denver some hope heading into next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

I give the Pats credit for having some discipline re: Maye.

He wasn't ready wk1, and they didn't force it.

I heard a really good discussion this am with Greenie on how the NFL could incent teams in a # of ways to red-shirt their freshman QB's. 
For either a full year or partial yr1 through cap incentives and/or roster exemptions etc..

It's early on, but I think this is a notion that could pick-up steam over time.

(08-21-2024, 04:00 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I give the Pats credit for having some discipline re: Maye.

I heard a really good discussion this am with Greenie on how the NFL could incent teams in a # of ways to red-shirt their freshman QB's. 
For either a full year or partial yr1 through cap incentives and/or roster exemptions etc..

Wow, this is surprising to hear. I'm obviously a big believer in the idea that teams are better off giving their young QBs a year on the bench, but I don't get the NFL's motivation here. Why would they care? In fact, one could argue hot-shot rookies are better for the league....at least in terms of marketing.

For example, I work with a bunch of Lions fans, and even though they hate the Vikings, they were all pretty excited to tune in and watch their Michigan hero.  

Unless the NFL believes red shirting QBs is better for the league long-term?
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(08-21-2024, 04:40 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Wow, this is surprising to hear. I'm obviously a big believer in the idea that teams are better off giving their young QBs a year on the bench, but I don't get the NFL's motivation here. Why would they care? In fact, one could argue hot-shot rookies are better for the league....at least in terms of marketing.

For example, I work with a bunch of Lions fans, and even though they hate the Vikings, they were all pretty excited to tune in and watch their Michigan hero.  

Unless the NFL believes red shirting QBs is better for the league long-term?

What might the careers of Fields, Lance, Wilson, Gabbert and so many more looked like with a redshirt season?

(08-21-2024, 01:57 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: [Image: i-cant-help-myself-larry-talbot.gif]

Larry Talbot aka the Wolfman...

Even a man who's pure @ heart and says his prayers by night, can become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright....

Love me some old Universal Monsters!

(08-21-2024, 04:00 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I give the Pats credit for having some discipline re: Maye.

Mayo just said yesterday they are considering starting Maye Week 1.....so maybe not so disciplined.

Hard to say what's right, but I think its undisputed that no successful QB has ever been adversely affected by sitting on the bench for awhile.

I disagree with the notion that starting early automatically harms young QBs. Sometimes, where they're getting sacked every time they drop back a la David Carr then sure, that's reckless. But there's no way to prove a QB would have been any better or worse had they taken the road untraveled, in most cases.

Rookies contribute at other football positions, and in all other sports, all the time.

(08-22-2024, 08:31 AM)pattersaur Wrote: I disagree with the notion that starting early automatically harms young QBs. 

I don't disagree. But we know it DOES harm some, for sure...especially starting in Game 1. What we do know is that no QB has suffered from waiting....and even the successful ones could have benefited in some way by waiting. 

But look at Chicago with Mitch Trubisky and Justin Fields. San Fran with Trey Lance. This has really nothing to do with starting early, but more how could they be SO wrong? They MOVED UP to get these utter and complete busts. Its such a crapshoot.

Vikings annouce JJM will the the starter in 2025