Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KAM speaking the truth on KFAN
Sean Borman
@SeanBormanNFL
Kwesi Adofo-Mensah on J.J. McCarthy via KFAN:

“[He’s] everything we thought he would be and more. When you draft a player, you’re just betting. That’s the honest truth. You’re betting on certain things and with him it’s the arm talent, it’s the accuracy, it’s the leadership.
It’s the athleticism that people don’t really appreciate that they’ll see in that stadium on Saturday. Then you talk about intangible work ethic. He shows up and he’s everything you thought he was. Ultimately, I don’t know where that’s going to end up, but I do know that
everything we thought we were getting in a draft pick showed up on that first day.”

Its a straight up crapshoot. Some luck is required. McCarthy sounds Irish to me.....how about some of that 'luck o' the Irish' this time?

Oh for sure a crapshoot...It always amazed me over the years of watching drafts and players and how wrong the teams were doing the drafting.

All that said, I dont think anyone has put a value on the right coach/system/surround and the impact it has on the outcome of an individual.

This year I heard it loudly called out with the "dirty hands" comments from KAM.

Fingers remain crossed that we got the right guy and right surround. Hopefully fans wont lose their minds over good or bad throws tomorrow.
[-] The following 3 users Like purplefaithful's post:

I'm not one to buy a whole lot of player jerseys. When I do, I usually purchase that of a player who's established himself in the league (the last one I bought was Harry). But I went against the grain and bought myself a JJ jersey based on the same attributes that KAM described above. For some reason I just have a lot of positive feelings that he's going to be the guy for us, and for quite a long time.

Hopefully time will tell that I made the right decision. Something tells me I already have.
The artist formerly known as PurpleCrush.
[-] The following 7 users Like TheWinterSKOLdier's post:

Crap shoot works both ways. Talented Kid to the wrong team, coach or scheme could ruin them too. Right now the Vikings have a nice set up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Still Hurtn's post:

I think there’s some amount of crapshoot, but different players have different odds of hitting predraft and different floors and ceilings, and maybe you gamble more that a guy will bust but the upside is so high it’s worth it? I think a good GM is probably able to calculate the odds on a player hitting their floor and ceiling production.

But I do think the system, the coaches, the surrounding talent, etc. are much more important than the QBs themselves right now. The number of QBs that can get drafted by a shitty team with shitty coaches and carry it is probably 1-2 per decade. But the number of QBs that can become elite if drafted by a good team with good coaches is much higher and almost all of the elite QBs also end up with elite coaches, probably not by accident. I don’t think there’s any reason to hire a defensive-minded head coach at this point. Like you need a consistent offensive scheme, a consistent framework for your offense to work and grow within. I liked Zimmer a lot as a HC if we were talking about the early 2000’s, but his hands off approach to the offense was not good in this era. The constant changing of OC’s was not good for us (and I don’t blame him for that, but a good OC will get poached to get a shot at a HC). I really think you just need to heavily prioritize offense right now all the time. If you’re a bad team, draft offense. Build a support system for your whoever your next QB will be. Worry about the defense when your offense is already good enough. Drafting defense when your QB doesn’t have an OLine or receivers is nuts, unless you’re looking at an Aaron Donald, once in a decade type player on the DLine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

Look at the Head Coaches of the 6 QB's drafted this year; 4 of them are D guys, while Nix and JJM went to O guys.

JJM has the best surround of the 6 as well. I like our odds and I like the kid more every day.

I just hope Darnold can hold the fort down for a while. JJM has a good pre-season? Fans are going to be going nutz.
[-] The following 3 users Like purplefaithful's post:

I think this year's group of 1st round QBs is going to be more successful than most classes. I think organization's are finally getting it through their thick heads that it takes a plan, development, support and a process. Block out the white noise, stop bowing to the dumbest, loudest and lowest denominator: fans.

(08-09-2024, 08:26 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Oh for sure a crapshoot...It always amazed me over the years of watching drafts and players and how wrong the teams were doing the drafting.

All that said, I dont think anyone has put a value on the right coach/system/surround and the impact it has on the outcome of an individual.

This year I heard it loudly called out with the "dirty hands" comments from KAM.

Fingers remain crossed that we got the right guy and right surround. Hopefully fans wont lose their minds over good or bad throws tomorrow.

THIS.

For all the fairly-reasonable hype surrounding Mahomes...he's with a coach that already led a very strong team in Philly for years, and had KC heading in a good direction when they drafted him. Reid has accomplished a huge amount, been through personal hell with his sons, but managed to keep his team on task despite their dropsies and even some games where, again, the NFL's champion QB was throwing consistent picks.

It's always the team, and the coach/system is a huge part of that.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

(08-09-2024, 09:21 AM)TheWinterSKOLdier Wrote: I'm not one to buy a whole lot of player jerseys. When I do, I usually purchase that of a player who's established himself in the league (the last one I bought was Harry). But I went against the grain and bought myself a JJ jersey based on the same attributes that KAM described above. For some reason I just have a lot of positive feelings that he's going to be the guy for us, and for quite a long time.

Hopefully time will tell that I made the right decision. Something tells me I already have.

Dude you better not have jinxed him lol. JK
[-] The following 2 users Like Vikergirl's post:

(08-09-2024, 09:21 AM)TheWinterSKOLdier Wrote: I'm not one to buy a whole lot of player jerseys. When I do, I usually purchase that of a player who's established himself in the league (the last one I bought was Harry). But I went against the grain and bought myself a JJ jersey based on the same attributes that KAM described above. For some reason I just have a lot of positive feelings that he's going to be the guy for us, and for quite a long time.

VG beat me to it, but im gonna say it anyway, you are taking his success sqaurely on your shoulders with that purchase, you better send a lot of good vibes his way.
Wink